Is AutoIt still being developed?

Au3Builder

Contrary to many other software products, AutoIt is immune to the versionitis disease. What is your grivance against current release + beta?

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

20 minutes ago, jchd said:

Contrary to many other software products, AutoIt is immune to the versionitis disease. What is your grivance against current release + beta?

For now It's all fine besides lack of GUI automation support for UWP apps .Classic Control Panel will be gone at some point and it will become an essential feature.

Don't think I'm complaining I love autoit and I support the development by donations :)

Edited by Au3Builder

• Developers
1 hour ago, Shark24 said:

And If not, is there another Automation scripting language that is better than AutoIT (for Windows) 

Just wondering: Do you just want an increase of the version or are you lacking functionality?

32 minutes ago, Au3Builder said:

For now It's all fine besides lack of GUI automation support for UWP apps .

Sounds like a nice challenge for somebody to build a set of UDF's?

General remark although it isn't really up to me as I don't do any development in AutoIt3:
It is indeed correct not much has happened this last year and there is no defined roadmap with dates. 

Doubt this is an issue at this moment as we have a pretty stable general purpose scripting language, and do not know how windows will evolve over the years to come whether this will be an issue anytime soon.

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Also there have been a lot of long topics on the same topic over the months, TL;DR version of all of them is, what feature/issue are you missing/having? :)

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

57 minutes ago, Jos said:
1 hour ago, Au3Builder said:

For now It's all fine besides lack of GUI automation support for UWP apps .

Sounds like a nice challenge for somebody to build a set of UDF's?

All the instructions are out.  Is the OP more than when will @junkew's posts and faq31 be replaced with native functions.?

Edited by iamtheky

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

Right now, as far as I see, in Win10, the controls for Win32 are needlessly "uglyfied"
gui7.pnggui10.png
So incorporation of other abilities would be welcomed.
Then again, AutoIt was meant to be an automation utility and not a programming language but we all use it as a programming language. Very far from the initial intention.
Then again, since we are here, might as well, working on expanding it would be cool.
Then again, without a restructure of the AutoIt language ( that would likely be incompatible to v3 ) to make incorporating other technologies, would make no sense and therefore making it v4.
Then again, we, the scripting kids, would like to do what real programmers do, from the coding language we already know, and one thing is true: writing in AutoIt is so efficient !, it makes it beautiful.
( I just wanted to have this say, well knowing that is very unlikely to change anything, but is my way to pray to the gods of the AutoIt realm :) )

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

36 minutes ago, Skysnake said:

paraphrasing

Well, maybe, I don't know.
Many, including me, wish this generated machine code output other than a stub interpreting scripts. But I see the wisdom in the way is kept.
That's what I meant by script language vs programming language. Then again, javascript is also interpreted and is called a language ?
Windows is written in C, or it was. AutoIt language is more Pascal looking ( in my range of experience with coding ).

AutoIt was initially designed for PC "roll out" situations to reliably automate and configure thousands of PCs. Over time it has become a powerful language that supports complex expressions, user functions, loops and everything else that veteran scripters would expect. Features:
Easy to learn BASIC-like syntax 
Simulate keystrokes and mouse movements 
Manipulate windows and processes 
... ... 
AutoIt has been designed to be as small as possible and stand-alone with no external .dll files or registry entries required making it safe to use on Servers. Scripts can be compiled into stand-alone executables with Aut2Exe.

The above comes from the help file
By the way, I'm not the OP, just wanted to have a say. A small say.
In my view, AutoIt does exactly what it was designed to do.

So my main was about the aesthetics, ..how pretty controls look on screen. To me, in Win10, the common controls are purposely sabotaged, more so than in previous versions of the OS, that's all.

PS: I'm re-reading your post @Skysnake, and now interpreted it differently. Sowy. I'm not very good at english. Yes I agree fully.

Edited by argumentum

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

2 hours ago, argumentum said:

Then again, javascript is also interpreted and is called a language ?

Totally agree.:) An even worse case is Python, for which a few laughably half-hearted compiler attempts have been written that produce total and utter garbage. In my own area of application (scientific computation), even commercial alternatives such as Matlab produce equally inept "compiled" exes that either crash or require several parallel universe lifetimes to complete.:yawn: Then I'd rather stick with AutoIt's solid, stable stub interpreter (with straightforward syntax, nice GUI and other graphics capabilities up and running in a day, and full Windows functionality under the hood) while farming out the computational hard labour to a dedicated dll. The one feature of stub interpreters that is often overlooked is that it drastically shortens development time, as you can do fast testing cycles in the interpreter, and afterwards, turning the script into an exe is not going throw tons of new errors your way. Try tracing transient memory leaks or similar Heisenbugs in MSVC for comparison...:huh2::mad2:

2 hours ago, argumentum said:

Windows is written in C, or it was.

Just out of interest, some parts are still assembly, and even a recent Word patch (ye olde Equation Editor) was done at this level.

33 minutes ago, RTFC said:

a recent Word patch (ye olde Equation Editor) was done at this level.

There is a good chance that they lost the source code... or some have been saying that.

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

C# is a big beast packed with tons of wrappers and libraries for almost everything. Not really a simple one to work with...

Better than the alternatives so far and it isn’t hard with free VC or free VS

the diff is, I’m not limited in any way and I can have compiled speeds. Learning is fun!

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

Well, Visual Studio is very large, 7 GB last time I checked. Also doesn't it download the C# compilers and tools? My laptop cannot handle that beast of an IDE anyway, keeps freezing and eats all of the resources.

Visual Code and you already have .net installed. You can target .NET versions. I use this on my super crappies laptop

MSBuild is built into windows 

i can help you if ever interested.  I can even build my projects using MS build with sublime text editor But you can debug with visual Code 

Edited by Earthshine

And don’t be fooled visual code can use visual studio project files to produce x86 or x64 exe files. I am now learning how to create my own CS project files and config files

Out of the box if you create.net core apps you’re only create DLLs

The point is anyone with even a crappy laptop could do it

Edited by Earthshine

When something get not updated. It start to die... I don't know why must of MVP-developers here always are avoiding this questions. but good after all you are the developers. there are many people waiting something more of AutoIt. AutoIt could be improve/better but there are not AutoIt developer actually that's the truth. I going to stop writing know because I don't want my account banned lol maybe waht I said hurt someone...

I really Love AutoIt for fast developing no too much related to GUI design of course. I use it every day and when I don't I miss it. lol

AutoIt a progamming lenguage?. Totally yes a full Programming language. 

@TheDcoder You can use Mono C#.

Saludos