Is AutoIt still being developed?

Au3Builder

• Moderators

@Danyfirex every single time this subject comes up, which seems to be about once a month, you come at it with the same "language is dying" type comment. No one is avoiding the question, in fact every thread of this nature ends up coming down to  the same very simple statement - AutoIt has one owner, Jon. When he has time, and when he decides to pick up development, he will. The rest of us are just along for the ride, and I doubt a dozen "I want AutoIt to do X" threads are going to spur him to take time away from work that actually pays to add features to AutoIt. Why people cannot comprehend this I do not know.

If you find more value in another language, use it! There are plenty of things I routinely have to turn to PowerCLI for; it's just the nature of any scripting language - no one language does everything. Recognize AutoIt for the value it provides, and where it doesn't add value to your work, find a tool that does.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

I always say what I think, what I see and what I feel... I know AutoIt has one owener. AutoIt is nothing without hte people that use it. let me change my "lenguage is dying" to it's agonizing lol. 

About using another valuable language I do already and even so I take time to shared/support people here to avoid AutoIt dies.

I'm don't say any as a professional programmer becase I am not. I'm Just a High school dregree guy with a little programming skills that says what He think about AutoIt developement.

Recognize AutoIt for the value it provides:

You don't imagine how  grateful  I feel about AutoIt. Must of my programming knowledge start from something related to AutoIt. it's something I'll never forget.

Saludos

Edited by Danyfirex

you don't need to be anything but what you are man. coding is more an art than science. I taught myself Assembler for the 6809E microprocessor (TRS-80 Color Computer), then basic, then structured basic and on from there. Much later I finished a college degree.

C and C++ were my fav but C# rules, Python is also WAY freaking cool.

my first computer was a Motorola powered TRS-80 64K CoCo, god I miss it. Should never have parted ways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80_Color_Computer

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

BTW, returning in topic.. outside there are a lot of people capable of judging the health of a project only from the "last version date", sad but true.

So I can understand Au3builder question... maybe is a matter of marketing.

Also I concede that since windows is now "rolling" distribution, it has no evident changes between updates, and a lot of software houses have problems addressing how is really changed Win, and also justify to the "business" new versions is not so easy, for non IT people win10 is win10.

Now I'am on the fall creators update and we have a lot of problems with the trendmicro AV not compatible, BSOD and so on....

Before, when windows was moving from, let me say, win7 to win8, people expected new versions also when not needed.

Only my 2 cents...

They have changelogs, are you deploying newer Win10 versions out of WSUS/SCCM  or just grab them from MS as available?

What pieces of Trend are you having issues with, just OfficeScan?  I stayed in fast ring and am now in skip ahead, on 17040.rs_prerelease.171110-1506 and our Trend deploy seems fine.

Edited by iamtheky

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

9 hours ago, Danyfirex said:

When something get not updated. It start to die... I don't know why must of MVP-developers here always are avoiding this questions.

They are? :blink:

I am not sure they are.

Just because that is true for many things perhaps, does not mean it is true for all.

AutoIt is more than just another version release. Users also provide further functionality with UDFs etc. :D

When you see AutoIt is starting to fall behind, then that is the time to get worried.

I don't think you can class AutoIt as the same kind of beast that many others are, as it has always danced to its own tune ... though I admit, that in more recent years, going by worrying changes at times to the Help file (now I am using latest AutoIt and discovering them), it has been pushed by some here in the same mental direction as most other languages. For me, AutoIt always stood out, especially for ease of use, and clear explanations and examples for newbies.

If you really want something to worry about, worry about the gist of that last comment. :sweating:

@Au3Builder - Look and ye shall find. Check out the Chat Forum section here, and you will find that topics such as yours (this here) have been going on for years (not months my good bud Dcoder) ... well beyond the current version of AutoIt.

Further to all that. AutoIt naturally went through a long developmental stage, but in reality by the time of Windows 10 has caught up pretty much, and now become quite a mature language. Mature languages often suffer a significant slow down, and just keep pace from then on .. until they die or not.

Let's wait and see what happens with the next version of Windows shall we. ;)

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

3 hours ago, TheSaint said:

going on for years (not months my good bud Dcoder)

Thanks for unexpected surprise info, lol :lol:

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

21 hours ago, iamtheky said:

They have changelogs, are you deploying newer Win10 versions out of WSUS/SCCM  or just grab them from MS as available?

What pieces of Trend are you having issues with, just OfficeScan?  I stayed in fast ring and am now in skip ahead, on 17040.rs_prerelease.171110-1506 and our Trend deploy seems fine.

@iamtheky at work I have just prepared my new notebook with win 10 1709 build 16299.15, and with the agent 12.0.1708 plus the update KB4043961  (see the link) I obtained only BSODs.

Seems that you have to choice to stay without trendmicro client or the KB4043961.

Oh, it's true that trendmicro has already released a patch  but we are part of a "corporation" since two years and updating also 7zip is a "state affair"....

Don't know why corporations are so strict on updating 7-zip... can't they trust their employees a little more? They might end up using WinRAR with the perpetual trial license LOL :muttley:

P.S Sorry, couldn't resist the joke.

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

@TheSaint I never understand when you talk. I don't know when you're joking and when You aren't lol.

Saludos

I totally understand about fighting the corporation to update.  I would be the people on the Security team that encourage the endpoint team to lock systems down via group policy and push authorized software through SCCM.  If I had my druthers we would also institute application whitelists wherever possible.

with things like uniextract, i dont really install a packing tool anymore, so much as just run them from an archive.

Edited by iamtheky

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

What if you where given way to compile in the direct language, so in a way Interpreting what's been interpreted back to the the source of C#\++ code script
Call it "the added fun of reinventing wheels but differently !!"

This is something that might be missing here, nothing to do with autoit being closed source or not,  more to do with user interactions and how they can learn to do new things on the forum and what they can come up with .Etc

Just curious to hear what some of the objecting opinions may sound like if such a side project in the forum would want to surface without judging what the owners opinion is like or should be ..

Nothing really to do with the core AutoIT programming language.  I'm sure I could come up with some nice to have's but nothing that is an absolute need.  I've been using AutoIT since early 2000's and I still haven't touched 80% of the features so I just assume if there's something that I suddenly want it to do, it's probably already got a UDF. Plus, if there isn't a UDF that does what I want then I write one and add it to my ever expanding library.

But there are two areas that I personally wish the AutoIT coding team would take on and that is developing a standalone AutoIT IDE that contains the features of a commercial IDE. It would include the custom features developed for AutoIT code that are built into Scite as well as a true debugger with the ability to walk through lines of code, set breakpoints, create a watchlist of variables, etc.   The other would be a Forms development tool that would be integrated into the IDE for the creation of forms. 

The only reason I'm suggesting this is that while it appeared that some significant progress was made on some standalone apps (i.e. Koda, dbug, AutoIT Debug) the last versions released are from years ago.  In the case of Koda the last version I've seen was released in 2010. It generally works but it's quirky. 

I came across an app called DBUG a few months ago. It looked it hadn't been updated in recent years.  From the documentation and looking at the code it was supposed to have the ability to step through lines of code but I could not get it to work.

I didn't realize until today that there's an AutoIT include file called Debug.au3.  After looking at and then running the example I'm not sure it will do what I want it to do, which is being able to step through code one line at a time and be able to view specific variable values from a specific script. 

After I get off her I plan on doing some additional searching to see if I can find some pictures or maybe a YouTube video that expands on the Debug  help.

The problem with using some of these programs or investing time and energy into learning them is that they are developed externally and none of these niche products seem to make it to universal or mainstream use.    I understand, life happens and the need to make money outweighs hobby development.  But, if the AutoIT coding team took ownership of developing a branded AutoIT IDE and AutoIt Forms Builder then I think there's a better chance that those two applications would, at least, be completed, and any addtional development would continue.  

Thanks,

O.G.W.

• Moderators

Hi,

Enough of flogging the same old horse - it never, ever comes back to life. For the umpteenth time:

• AutoIt is Jon's project and the release of any new version depends on his willingness to take time away from getting food on his table and a roof over his head to do the required development work - just remind yourself that he makes absolutely nothing from you and all the others who use Autoit.
  • The whole AutoIt project is a hobby for the non-existent "AutoIt coding team" and those of us who do help out both here in the forum and as core UDF maintainers do so as volunteers solely for the pleasure of helping others.
  • If you want an IDE, debugger, etc then go ahead and code it yourself - or pay someone else to do so - as there is zero chance of seeing "official" versions.

Thread closed. As indeed will be any future ones on this subject - because they all end up the same way with people demanding that their own personal coding requirements are provided free of charge by others.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area