TheSaint

TeraCopy Timer - A program of mine, front end really, that I have been working on (on & off) for some time, but not shared here before, that I recall. Third party program TeraCopy is required.

Many of you will be familiar with TeraCopy, and it has been discussed here at AF on several occasions, in various sub forums, including Chat.

BE ADVISED - I still use an older version of TeraCopy (v2.27), a goody but an oldy, so have only tested my program with that. It may work with the newer v3.xx, or may be easily adjusted to do so, but I have not yet gone that route. Likewise, I only use it with Win 7 and Win XP, but I don't imagine there should be any issues with newer Windows. Add to that, my program being devised and created in AutoIt v3.3.0.0.

So what is TeraCopy Timer and why might you need it?

Spoiler

I devised my program for two main reasons really, based on giving me greater control, using the Free version of TeraCopy, which has some limitations (perhaps even with the paid full version). My program utilizes the features of the TeraCopy command-line.

1. I was fed up with Thumbs.db files regularly halting the process in Win XP or preventing a folder being deleted after a move. Only happens with Win XP.

2. I wanted to automate delays between jobs, allowing all HDD's to rest periodically when doing large and lengthy jobs. Letting HDD's heat up too much, can have tragic results or considerably shorten their lifespan. Prevention is better than cure or just relying on monitoring software etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those familiar with TeraCopy use, know you can run multiple copy or move jobs either simultaneously or concurrently (one immediately after another has finished). With the free version at least, you have no control over precise order or timing, and no way to deal (without manual interaction) with the pesky Thumbs.db files in Win XP. TeraCopy Timer allows you to do all those things, and in a batch fashion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some screenshots and brief explanation

Main Window

Spoiler

TC_main_2-0.png

You can browse to set the Source and Destination paths, or like me, just use Drag & Drop to those inputs.
Once the Destination path has been set, the MIN (minimalist GUI) button becomes available. In Minimal mode, you get a further level of automation, once initial options are set, and thus less prompts ... none in fact, as jobs are created automatically based on either COPY or MOVE.

Minimalist Window

Spoiler

TC_min_2-0.png

In the Minimalist mode, you can only use Drag & Drop to add a source file or folder, and COPY or MOVE is permanently set when the window first opens, via a choice prompt.

Assigning a WAIT is simple and easy, and is the latest feature added to the program ... I used a much more complex variant before that (see Advanced Delay).

TC_min_2-0 with Wait.png

The program now displays three file size reports.
Individual Size of the current (last added) job (Blue label).
Total Size of all jobs combined (Black label).
Subtotal Size for each grouping of jobs, defined by a WAIT selection (Red label).
You toggle between Black and Red, by just clicking that label. If no WAIT has been set, then the values will be the same.
The wait of 5 minutes in the screenshot above is set for the source shown. It means wait 5 minutes before copying (or moving) that source.
More sources added from that point, add to a new subtotal. To see the previous subtotal, you need to be at the main (MAX) window, and select the prior job.
So every time a WAIT is clicked for a source a new subtotal count is started.

TC_main_2-0 with Wait.png

In the screenshot above, you can see the Job name, and that it is Job number 5 order wise. MOVE has been set for that job.
Selecting Job 4, you will see the previous (complete) Subtotal. Selecting job 3 (in this instance), you would see the subtotal up to that job.
Click the red Total label and it will change to Black, and show you the total size over all, as shown in the second screenshot above.

This new WAIT feature is the simplest and best way to use the program generally (in my view) ... but check out the following, as it is not always the case.

Advanced Delay Window

Spoiler

TC_delay_2-0.png

The Advanced Delay Options, are a further level of automation, added during the early stages of development, before I thought to create the Minimalist window and show Sizes. It was before I decided to put a lot more effort into the program. As with all my programs though, it is continual use that eventually dictates what I ultimately want to happen, to make my life easier ... simpler, better, smarter, quicker.

The main difference between this older method, and the new WAIT one, where you specify delays precisely, is that the program attempts to determine the best moments to pause, based on various factors, which you setup and can vary between different types of Job sessions.

The chief purpose for all the advanced options, is an attempt to cater for the difference between moving a small number of big files and a lot of small files. Moving or Copying lots of small files (hundreds or thousands), as many would know, can heat up a HDD far quicker and to a much higher temperature than a small number of (even very) large files. I guess that is primarily due to the sheer number of indexes that need to be created, and with small files are done at a staggering rate.

Which method you use, is up to you, and should be governed by the type of job. Both methods can be used together, but not advised if you don't want the possibility of unnecessary extra long delays. EDIT - That said, you could use the WAIT option just for a delayed start of the first job ... perhaps your PC is busy doing something else until then, but you want to go and do something else for a bit, and have it all done by the time you return (i.e. watch a movie).

WARNING - It should go without saying, that you take all the usual precautions. For instance, don't use move with the only copy you have of precious files. BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP! Don't hold me liable for anything, except for being a nice guy who likes to share. :)

TeraCopy Timer v3.5.zip  (MAJOR UPDATE - see detail at Post #39)

Enjoy!

OLDER DOWNLOADS

Spoiler

TeraCopy Timer v2.0.zip  (51 downloads)

TeraCopy Timer v2.2.zip  (see detail at Post #8(22 downloads)

TeraCopy Timer v2.3.zip  (see detail at Post #10(13 downloads)    Sources.zip  (22 downloads)

TeraCopy Timer v2.4.zip  (see detail at Post #23) Source now included.  (30 downloads)

TeraCopy Timer v2.5.zip  (see detail at Post #27 including latest screenshots).  (22 downloads)

TeraCopy Timer v2.6.zip  (see detail at Post #29 including latest screenshot).  (6 downloads)

TeraCopy Timer v2.7.zip  (see detail at Post #30)  (79 downloads)

TeraCopy Timer v2.8.zip  (see detail at Post #34)  (84 downloads)

TeraCopy Timer v2.9.zip  (see detail at Post #35)  (124 downloads)

TeraCopy Timer v3.0.zip  (see detail at Post #36(21 downloads)

TeraCopy Timer v3.1.zip  (see detail at Post #37)  (54 downloads)

TeraCopy Timer v3.3.zip  (see detail at Post #38)  (187 downloads)

P.S. I am not affiliated in any way with those who created and provide the excellent third party program - TeraCopy.

Edited by TheSaint
Update

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

As you know, my harddrive recently failed and there was a large file transfer to it just before the drive died.  I'll be using this program when I get a new hard drive and transfer heaps of data to it.

Being able to schedule pauses during writes will hopefully prevent me from overheating another drive.  (If that is what caused the fail) 

Thank you for providing this.

Edited by Xandy
char 12 is now a comma

My pleasure Xandy, hope it helps. :)

P.S. If you ever find that link to that Business which uses hundreds of drives from a variety of manufacturers, and who did a study on longevity and type of use etc, and provide it here, that would be great. I should check my many bookmarks, as I possibly saved a copy of the link from our HexChat chat on Freenode a month or two back. :idea:

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

10 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

If you ever find that link to that Business which uses hundreds of drives from a wide variety of manufacturers

It was this site: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

My dead drive is a Seagate Barracuda.  Validating the data at BackBlaze to me at least xD.

Edited by Xandy
Added site label to clarify it was the site with 'data' requested

Ha ha, excellent, thanks for that .... I notice my blue star for Bookmarks lit up when I followed the link, so I did bookmark it. :lol:

Thanks for saving me having to search. ;)

Spoiler

userbar.png

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001061.htm 
Disable Windows thumbs.db files from being created: Windows XP
Open My Computer.
Click Tools and then Folder Options.
Within the Folder Options window click the View tab.
In the View tab, under Advanced Settings, check the box Do not cache thumbnails.
Click OK.

By the way: Thanks for sharing your code :) 

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

True, but I like to see certain media folders (Games, Movies, Music, Photos, etc) display an image, based on Folder.jpg, and if my memory serves me right, if I disable Thumbs.db, then I don't get that.

Even if I am wrong about that last, does disabling it remove all existing Thumbs.db files, or just stop new ones being created?

Thumbs.db files with Win 7 don't cause an issue with TeraCopy, whereas they do with Win XP, so to my mind it is a bug they never bothered to fix. Quite a while back, I did try to reason with one of their developers, but either he didn't want to know (they were developing v3 at the time) or he just didn't understand (somehow), so I gave up and created my own solution. And I am guessing, that terminated support for Win XP, was also a factor, which shouldn't be in a case like this type of program ... old PCs don't stop being relevant or usable, just because a new version of Windows comes along, they are still very handy for all sorts of things, not least of which is storage or games and other media, and that often involves moving large amounts of files around. Narrow thinking in that regard always pisses me off. Something like Thumbs.db files (very common) halting proceedings etc, is a pretty major bug to my mind, that should have been fixed, especially in the case of Win XP, which is arguably Microsoft's most popular OS ever, and still used by many all over the world, even if just in a secondary or third PC capacity.

My pleasure. :)

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

TeraCopy Timer updated to v2.2. See first post above.

(v2.2) Added a Splash while source is being calculated, to show something is happening when it is taking a while, due to Windows processing lots of directory content. Added missing copyright information. Process Advice when using the MIN button is now only shown once while program is running, but can now also be found on an extra Program Information window. The floating STOP button now displays a trailing word 'now', when not a 'Wait'.

(v2.1) Added a right-click context menu entry to the START button, for just removing (deleting) ALL the Thumbs.db files from the selected source and its sub-folders.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

TeraCopy Timer updated to v2.3. See first post above.

(v2.3) Bugfix for '0 Mb's' being reported in Log file. Window position is now saved when program is closed. Added two options (buttons) to change either the Destination folder or Copy/Move process for all jobs. A dropbox is used to change the Destination folder. A smarter job naming method has been implemented.

Spoiler

userbar.png

On 23/02/2018 at 4:59 AM, Bilgus said:

Seems to me that you have most of a decent front end for an xcopy implementation rather than using teracopy or is there something special I'm missing about it?

Gawd, I have not used xcopy in many years.

Perhaps you are not aware of the many benefits of TeraCopy. I don't have it enabled as a full replacement for Windows copy and move, but I do have it enabled for right-click dragging, so I use it most of the time ... quickly and simply, with no fuss or mucking around ... and that's just the free version.

I created my program here, because I wanted a bit more control ... especially when moving lots of content and many gigabytes ... my concern being over HDDs heating up too much (which they often do), and having less memory usage (no multiple TeraCopy windows open), etc.

So the best way to describe my program perhaps, is a batch method with user determined pauses and CRC checking ... no holdups and precise reporting and easy options to deal with issues.

So in short, xcopy is not up to that type of job ... not without a lot more mucking around ... and maybe not even then.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

34 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

So in short, xcopy is not up to that type of job

What you describe is exactly what I did moving WIMs in a batch  'capture-alter-deploy' fashion with Imagex, DISM, and xcopy. I'd like to see the batch job that might be tedious with xcopy and/or how the teracopy batch is less so for my edification.

Also, with xcopy being baked into the OS now it's hard not to crutch on it, convincing displays would be useful for the future inquirers.

(also, hes not wrong that it would be a badass UI for xcopy, but again im not sure i fully understand the limitations)

Edited by iamtheky

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

On 24/02/2018 at 0:31 PM, iamtheky said:

(also, hes not wrong that it would be a badass UI for xcopy, but again im not sure i fully understand the limitations)

I have no idea if xcopy has any limitations. What I said was based purely on the trouble I would need to go to, to equal what TeraCopy does easily.

It is probably a case of try-and-see to really appreciate the full benefit of TeraCopy. When I first started using it a few years ago, it blew me away, and is hands down one of the better programs to see light of day in the last decade, in the improvements it gives to users, especially over regular Windows copy and move.

A short and nowhere near total list of benefits (available in free version).

Pause & Resume.

Skips problem files, but gives you a report that explains why and allows you to try again.

CRC testing. Which also allows you to skip identical files and reporting which ones they were, etc.

You can keep on adding files for the same destination, while the process is under way.

You can start a job and then queue up others, if alternate destinations ... or run all simultaneously.

Shutdown PC when finished.

etc etc

P.S. In short I see no need to re-invent the wheel, especially when that would take considerable effort and some likely obstacles to overcome.

Spoiler

userbar.png

17 hours ago, Earthshine said:

ROBOCOPY is where anything copy is at

Another program I tried years back.

Have you actually tried TeraCopy?
If not and you are going to, then my advice is to not fully implement it. Just enable it for your right-click menu ... and then use right-click drag from source to destination (that gives you a menu, where you can select to use Windows or TeraCopy copy/move options). I've not used any 3.xx version yet, but supposedly it now uses regular WIndows copy & move for small single file copies.

My view is simplicity is best, and TeraCopy qualifies in spades. It integrates itself so well with Windows, that you are barely aware you are using a 3rd party program.

Anyway, enough promotion for TeraCopy. As much as I like them, some little things like 'Thumbs.db' files halting things in WIN XP (but not WIN 7 or above) irked me enough to find a replacement. There is even a discussion somewhere here (in Chat I think), about my failed search. And yes I looked at Robocopy, FastCopy and many others. TeraCopy despite its minor failings, is still better.

.... and before anyone chastises me for still using WIN XP. Yes, I still use it, but I also use WIN 7, WIN 8, LINUX,  etc. WIN XP is still a great OS, when you use it offline as I do for Games, Programming, Video Conversion, etc, etc.

WIN XP is still better for the older hardware it was designed for, and costs nothing to retain.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

I'd chastise you for still using Windows before I did it for XP even if you are online with it as long as you aren't doing sensitive work on it WGAFF?? Oops now you need to reformat and a prince from Nigeria knows your favorite TV Shows!

Something cool though Is using those Windows XP installs as virtual machines Using Grub on win XP, vista, 7 and (natively on W8)

I liked it so much back with XP its the only way I'll use Windows..

basically you set up an image with all your programs and put the user folders on a different drive or on the actual drive the image runs from you only back up those user folders something happens you delete the image copy your fresh one in from compressed backup and you just reinstalled add your new stuff and resave the image bobs your uncle and red greens your idol

oh did I mention you boot the VHDs and or can use a program such as Virtual box to run them

W8 is really where its at though since its native and you can run the VHDX images without having to use GRUB

Edited by Bilgus

While I know full well I could use virtual machine images and no doubt will at some point, my old offline laptop with WIN XP works just fine as it is, and so I see no reason to go to any VM trouble. I also prefer to not do everything on the one PC, but dedicate each PC to do different tasks, that can be executed simultaneously without any overheads. So while one PC is busy moving files around using TeraCopy Timer (plus external HDDs), and having little rests between some jobs, I can be busy playing a game on another PC, and maybe even burning, ripping or converting something on a third PC ... perhaps even browsing the web on a 4th. Maximum flexibility is the name of the game for me, and smart time usage.

For some reason, many seem to think once a new Windows OS comes out, you throw away a perfectly good setup, and then because you need to, install emulation software.

For me, it is all about the right tool for the right job, and making do in a sensible fashion .... not a fan of the throwaway society mentality ... our rubbish tips etc are full enough as it is. Using older devices, also helps you appreciate the new ones more ... and sometimes the older ones too.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

So you like to use tons of power running ancient Chinese Secret PCs? One modern box could host several PCs 

i prefer robocopy because it’s built in and because nothing beats its tenacity at making verifiable copies. It’s not called ROBUST COPY for nothing

At work we typically build a box and use it for about 10 years before it’s rebuilt. And each machine can run several VM’s at once. I don’t believe and throw away either

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

I guess that means you haven't tried TeraCopy then, which is just as built in (perhaps more so) and is as robust and tenacious as it needs to be (maybe more) in my experience .... the Thumbs.db issue with an old OS aside.

Well, even if I spent megabucks on one machine, to do as you say, dedicated machines still do a better job, and they especially make it easier to troubleshoot etc. And I have never liked placing all my eggs in one basket ... Mr. Murphy has shown me the foolishness of that.

It's only electricity, and I would like to see a comparison of power usage, as power usage of such a beast as you suggest, would be very high indeed, especially running all I would be. Not to mention other issues such as cooling considerations and perhaps noise. A work environment is a very different one to the home one I am in ... mostly using portables (Netbook and Laptops).

P.S. And last time I tried RoboCopy, it was a complex beast. TeraCopy for normal usage (at least the free version installed as I have it), is very much less so.

P.S.S. I have no intention to continue arguing about the merits of each. RoboCopy makes you happy, so each to their own. In my instance at least, it is not the right tool for the right job ... and I have been around the block, just a few times now, so I ain't no babe in the woods. ;)

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

By the way, if anyone would prefer to have a RoboCopy Timer or Xcopy Timer (etc) version of my program, then the source is provided in the zip, and it is only a small portion of code (and some names) that would need changing ... you could even make it optional very easily.

You could even upload your adaption in a post here, and I would create a link to it in the first post, and amend the topic title appropriately.

Just add your name in the Program Information dialog.

© April 2014 by TheSaint  (latest update in February 2018).
(adapted for RoboCopy by Earthshine in March 2018)
(adapted for xcopy by Bilgus in March 2018)

Easy peasy.

Or give me the command-line requirements for RoboCopy etc and I may get around to it myself ... eventually ... though aside from xcopy, I won't test them myself.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png