Hi

Problem is this

myscript -p <zumerkelen> -x something else

myscript is my AutoIt compiled CUI.  

-p <> is first param - fails, see below

-x [text] second param, works.

When I run this with the param enclosed in <> I get the response

The syntax of the command is incorrect.

Experimentation indicates that the <> tags are the problem.

_ArrayDisplay($CmdLine, "1 Array")
MsgBox(16, "1 Raw", $CmdLineRaw)

The problem is with the reading of the command line.  It fails BEFORE it gets into the variables... :(

cmdFail.png

I am not dealing with AutoIt, or even my own command line, this is legacy software.  It seems that AutoIt "interprets" the <> before loading the command line...  I need to be able to read that as text without it being interpreted.

The only part I can control is my script, the myscript, which I can change at will.

The standard command line functions appear all to interpret params on read.  I want those params read raw.   If I could just get that as a string it would be fine.

Where to look?

Skysnake

Edited by Skysnake

Skysnake

Why is the snake in the sky?

I assume that cmd.exe interprets <> as redirection operators. Can you test using quotes?

myscript -i "<myscript>"

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Hi Water :)

Ironic that you would be first on the scene.

I can test.  But problem is that I cannot change the received command line.  I receive it from legacy software which includes multiple <> instances... :(

Skysnake

Do you really need the brackets? If the parameter contains spaces you could simply use quotes:

myscript -i "my script"

Edit: Answered by the post above

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I do not generate that command line and I cannot change it.  All I can do is read it.  And the standard AutoIt "command line read" apparently involves interpreting first...

Maybe a more specific question --- is that $CmdLineRaw part of the core AutoIt interpreter? Does this problem require developer intervention?

See this

Command Line Parameters

Passing command line parameters to your own executable is achievable in AutoIt. Passed commandline parameters can be viewed by using the constant variables $CmdLine and $CmdLineRaw. Assigning these variables with new data will cause AutoIt to return an error, as these cannot be changed during the script's execution. Note that both variables exist whether commandline parameters are passed or not.

From https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/intro/running.htm

Edited by Skysnake

Skysnake

The problem is caused by th way your legacy software calls your compiled script.
Compile both main.au3 and test.au3 and run main.exe.

; main.au3
Run("test.exe -i <Test>")
; Test.au3
#include <Array.au3>
_Arraydisplay($Cmdline)
msgbox(0, "", $Cmdlineraw)

You will see that you get the expected results.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

18 minutes ago, Skysnake said:

Maybe a more specific question --- is that $CmdLineRaw part of the core AutoIt interpreter? Does this problem require developer intervention?

Yes and No.
Yes: $CmdLineRaw is part of AutoIt.
No: The error message you see is not generated by AutoIt but by the Windows command line interpreter (see post #2)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

You have given me an idea.  I am going to check something. Thank you for your help. :)

Got it :)

Part of the problem is the documentation of the legacy software. The documentation indicates the use of <>, which the actual software does not use... So I was testing for something that does not exist.

Replaced the vendor app with my test script and it works like a charm.  I was in a corner there, but thank you for a clear head. :)

Edited by Skysnake

Skysnake

:) 

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki