FastGaming

PartyPooper

I kept forgetting to update my website and post this :P

This was my first AutoIt program I wrote so it's not as clean as it could be, however, it did provide me with a basis to work from. You can get the executable from my website or as a zip file below.Post any bugs/ideas/requests in this forum or via the email option in the program.

Screenshots and executable are available on my website

Edit1: total rewite of code which is about half the size of the original.

Edit2: added update wrapper source

Edit3: added some addtional options and a debug option. Updated source here.

Edit4: added screenshots

Edit5: removed wrapper stuff (see new thread) and updated executable.

Edit6: updated the source script to v3.0.0.7 (v3.0.0.1 - 33 downloads)

Edit7: oops, executable was pointing to wrong file. fixed now

Edit8: updated the source script to v3.0.0.10 (v3.0.0.7 - 2 downloads)

Edit9: updated the source script to v3.0.0.13 (v3.0.0.10 - 12 downloads)

Edit10: updated the source script to v3.0.0.15 (v3.0.0.13 - 10 downloads)

Edit11: updated the source script to v3.0.0.40 (v3.0.0.15 - 76 downloads)

Edit12: removed the source script and program

Edited by PartyPooper

Hi partypooper.

Can you tell me where I can find the <RefreshTray.au3> ?

I find the part where you switch off the "unnecessary XP Services" very interesting !

I would like to try this on my notebook (runs on XP) to be able to run "World of Warcraft" a little smoother :P

A few (stupid ?) questions :

Do all those services startup again automatically when rebooting ?

(I guess they do)

How can i be sure that you don't stop services that are needed for WoW

(ex. : the Simple TCP/IP Services ?)

or is it "trial and error"

Nice script !

D2charkeeper = No more 'expired characters' in D2.File Date Changer = Change the file date(s), attributes and the filename case of multiple files @ once.Updater_full = Copy/Update your autoitscripts, pictures, .mp3, .avi etc ... subdirs from your PC to your memory stick or to your external harddisk. Now with scheduling and logging.Questmapper

You can find it here:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...ic=7404&hl=tray

To answer your questions...

Yes, they will start up again on reboot so long as you don't do anything stupid like installing software etc. before rebooting because that will create a new restore point.

Well, I left a few services running (the common ones used by Cable/DSL) so it should work as is, however, if something doesn't work, then I guess it's trial and error.

Thanks. I tried to make it as simple as I could using a single exe that could be run from anywhere (I leave it on my desktop).

P.S. You don't have to switch off the services, especially if you're only playing single player mode etc. In real terms, shutting down superfluous services only frees up memory and some processing power and is mainly beneficial when playing internet games because it squeezes every last little bit out of your computer it can which may or may not give you an edge.

Edited by PartyPooper

so long as you don't do anything stupid like installing software etc. before rebooting because that will create a new restore point.

Thanks for the info.

I'll give it a try.

D2charkeeper = No more 'expired characters' in D2.File Date Changer = Change the file date(s), attributes and the filename case of multiple files @ once.Updater_full = Copy/Update your autoitscripts, pictures, .mp3, .avi etc ... subdirs from your PC to your memory stick or to your external harddisk. Now with scheduling and logging.Questmapper

• 4 weeks later...

The updater works perfectly. :P

Once my friend told me that he had found Jesus. I thought to myself, "Woohoo, we're rich!" It turns out he meant something different.Sometimes I just like to lay in my bed and look up at the stars and wonder..where the hell did my roof go?

Dosn't really detect many games, though it did detect all the Blizzard games I got. I guess it dosn't matter that it didn't pick up counter-strike or day of defeat because it found steam.

Good tool all around, except I bet you could find the GPU temp from other types of cards and the speed test is defaultly for Australia which messed up my results.

EDIT: I also think you should have a stop all unnecisary services button for the undetected games.

EDIT 2: Also upon further testing, when it is stopping services it freezes for me and its processor use goes down to 0%.

http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/1714/look26cy.jpg

Edited by killaz219

Dosn't really detect many games, though it did detect all the Blizzard games I got. I guess it dosn't matter that it didn't pick up counter-strike or day of defeat because it found steam.

Good tool all around, except I bet you could find the GPU temp from other types of cards and the speed test is defaultly for Australia which messed up my results.

EDIT: I also think you should have a stop all unnecisary services button for the undetected games.

EDIT 2: Also upon further testing, when it is stopping services it freezes for me and its processor use goes down to 0%.

http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/1714/look26cy.jpg

It doesn't detect any Steam games because you (I) normally run Steam and select a game from there, not run the game directly so I deliberately left out the all Steam games and just made a single Steam button.

I try and find some code for other cards but since I only have a nVidia, I have no way of testing it.

When you run the speed test, look over on the right side of the web page under tools and you will see an "International Speed Test" just under the "Australian ISP Speed Test" option.

If the stopping services function is freezing, then it's an indication that it is trying to stop a parent service before a child service. I was hoping I had the sequence correct and this wouldn't happen - guess not. Windows won't allow a parent service to be stopped before a child service and puts up a confirmation request which you don't see unfortunately because I hide the cmd window. I will add a debug option to the program which won't hide the window and allow you to see what service is being effected. When you find it, let me know and I will resequence it in the main program.

The updater works perfectly. :P

Cool. I'll add the update wrapper source here today for those interested in seeing what I've done. It's really simple but it does have a downside - it almost doubles the size of the download because I fileinclude the FastGaming.exe into the compile. If I get time, I'll try and think of a better way to accomplish the task.

You are God if you make the update script :P

Once my friend told me that he had found Jesus. I thought to myself, "Woohoo, we're rich!" It turns out he meant something different.Sometimes I just like to lay in my bed and look up at the stars and wonder..where the hell did my roof go?

Tweaked some more and changed the way the Stop Services option behaves. Should now only bother you when starting a game and not when you start an editor or miscellaneous gaming utility. Also added the option for it to autostop services when starting a game (see settings options).

Should auto update if you have to option selected.

Edit: added some screenshots to the first post.

Edited by PartyPooper

PartyPooper make a UDF of the update script. Please man!!!

Well, I don't think I can create it as a single function, however, I will work on cleaning it up and making it simple to include in any program. It won't be as flash as some of the autoupdaters the developers have written, but it'll work for the layman (like me :P )

I'll put it under a new thread. Give me a couple of hours.

OK Snipz, I managed to put it all in a single function, however, it still requires a version control file located on a webserver and the update MUST have a different filename to the running executable. Details can be found here.

Because I've changed some internal update code, FastGaming may not update correctly. If you have trouble, just delete the FastGaming executable and download it from here or my website (I'll update both).

Edit: forgot to mention that you will need to rename FastGamingUpdate.exe to FastGaming.exe after you download it. After you do that, it should update normally thereafter.

Edited by PartyPooper

Updated source and exe. Many, many bugfixes and added a couple of new things.

Anyone want any games added?

All I need to add games is the program name (window title) and the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software registry key that points to the install directory and executable. Also, any command line options you would like to include.

Forgot to add, minimising FastGaming frees up more CPU cycles (it auto-minimises when starting a game/game launcher).

I'm also working on an issue with the Virtual CD rom function. It loads up OK but it won't unload and reload another until rebooted (unless you manually unload by right clicking in My Computer).