call 'tables' in SQLite...?

Burgs

Greetings,

I have SQLite setup within my AutoIT program...I'm trying to accomplish what should be a relatively simple task.  I want to be able to return an array of 'table' names for an established database...I believe this might be possible using the '_SQLite_SQLiteExe' command...since it seems to be able to access SQLite schemas...?  The ".tables" command is one of them...if I am not mistaken that command returns a list of all table names in the active database.

I am attempting the following:

#include <SQLite.au3>
#include <SQLite.dll.au3>

Global $hDb, $sIn, $sOut

$sIn = ".tables" & @CRLF  
_SQLite_SQLiteExe($hDb, $sIn, $sOut)  

if @error == 0 Then
    ;Show Table (using SQLite3.dll)
 Else
  if @error == 2 Then
  ConsoleWrite("ERROR: Sqlite3.exe file not found" & @CRLF)
  Else
  ConsoleWrite("ERROR: @error=" & @error & " when calling _SQLite_SQLiteExe" & @CRLF)
  EndIf  ;@error is "2"...OR NOT...
 EndIf  ;@error is "0"...OR NOT...

The error being thrown is "ERROR: Sqlite3.exe file not found" ...

Am I required to have the Sqlite3.exe installed in my directory (i.e. @ScriptsDir)...???  I do not have it in there at present because I did not believe it was necessary with the 'include' calls to "SQLite.au3" and "SQLite.dll.au3"...any advice appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

Regards

You definitely don't need to use the command-line utility sqlite3.exe to get a list of tables.

Use this SQL query to retrieve an ordered list of tables in the Main database:

select tbl_name "Table" from sqlite_master where type = 'table' order by "Table";

_SQLite_GetTable() is a good way to return that array of strings.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Hello jchd,

Thanks for the response...I'll give that a try later when I have a chance.  I knew '_SQLite_GetTable()' can get the row data...but I would have to know what table name to pass into it. 

Can the '_SQLite_Query' be passed any valid SQLite command...?  I was under the impression it could only be used with certain commands as given in the manual documentation...?

Just to verify I have the syntax correct...my code should read:

_SQLite_Query($hDb, "select tbl_name "Table" from sqlite_master where type = 'table' order by "Table";", $hQuery)

correct...?   

Thanks again for your post...much appreciated.

Burgs,

An example of some functions that I use occasionally...

#include <SQLite.au3>

; sqlite3.dll can be in any of the following @ScriptDir, @SystemDir, @WindowsDir, or @WorkingDir.
_SQLite_Startup('sqlite3.dll')

; open a memory DB
Local $hdb = _SQLite_Open()

; create memory DB with some tables
Local $sql = 'create table t1 (a1, a2, a3);'
$sql &= 'create table t2 (b1, b2, b3);'
$sql &= 'create table t3 (c1, c2, c3);'
_SQLite_Exec($hdb, $sql)

_ArrayDisplay(table_list())
_ArrayDisplay(column_list('t2'))

If table_exists('t3') Then ConsoleWrite('t3 exists' & @CRLF)

_SQLite_Shutdown()

; some functions that I use occasionally to interrogate configuration
Func table_exists($tbl)
    Local $rows, $nbrows, $nbcols, $ret
    $ret = _SQLite_GetTable2d(-1, "select * from sqlite_master where name = " & "'" & $tbl & "'" & ";", $rows, $nbrows, $nbcols)
    If @error Then ConsoleWrite(@error & ' ' & @extended & ' ' & $ret & @LF)
    If $nbrows > 0 Then
        Return True
    Else
        Return False
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>table_exists

Func table_list()
    Local $rows, $nbrows, $nbcols
    $ret = _SQLite_GetTable2d(-1, "select * from sqlite_master;", $rows, $nbrows, $nbcols, 1000)
    Return $rows
EndFunc   ;==>table_list

Func column_list($tbl)
    Local $rows, $nbrows, $nbcols
    $ret = _SQLite_GetTable2d(-1, "pragma table_info(" & $tbl & ");", $rows, $nbrows, $nbcols)
    Return $rows
EndFunc   ;==>column_list

kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

In my example I decided to put the (optional) alias name "Table" inside double quotes as it's a reserved SQL keyword. But in this case SQLite is clever enough to understand the query even if you don't put double quotes there. They would be obligatory if you wanted the alias to be "The name of my tables", because of whitespaces in the name.

Forget about _SQLite_Query and the code complexities it requires. Prefer the higher-level *_GetTable[2d] or *_Exec functions.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

NB:
"==" is the string compare operator. As @error is set to an integer you should use the ordinary compare operator:

if @error = 0 Then

The result is the same but it's cleaner coding ;)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Yes I agree SQLite is quite powerful...and I become more impressed the more acclimated I become with it.  Thanks as well for the syntax clarifications...yes I tend to use "==" out of habit...

thanks again to all who replied   :)

I'd guess you'll soon find it's 10 times as powerfull, 100 times more flexible and 1M times as ubiquitous as you currently feel it is.
Needless to say, I'm a big, really big fan, so my opinion is 100% biaised (yet based on solid facts).

Have fun with an example:

I agree this example is a bit extreme but it has the merit to show that SQL in general can solve non-trivial problems elegantly and very efficiently, well beyond the traditional "handle my business data" domain. SQLite also has the huge benefit of it's incredible portability: the very same SQLite code would return the exact same result on any device running a recent enough SQLite3 version (your TV, modem, router, GPS, set top box, mainframe, Raspberry Pi, PC, smartphone, tablet, ...)