Listview Item Without Icon Shows Empty Space

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a listview with subitem icons and I achieved this by simply rearranging the order of the columns, so that the first column is in the middle, thus appearing as a subitem with an icon - this method prevents the "icon clipping" that happens when using subitem icons in a listview. My issue is that when I select a row that does not have an icon, the space where the icon would be is white. Is there a way to make this transparent, so it looks like the entire row is selected?

Here's an example - click the second listview item/row to see a blank space where the icon would be.

#include <GuiConstantsEx.au3>
#include <GuiListView.au3>
#include <GuiImageList.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

_Main()

Func _Main()
    Local $hGui, $listview, $hImage
    Local $iLV_EXStyle_NoChecks = BitOR($LVS_EX_GRIDLINES, $LVS_EX_FULLROWSELECT, $LVS_EX_SUBITEMIMAGES, $LVS_EX_DOUBLEBUFFER, $LVS_EX_HEADERDRAGDROP)

$hGui = GUICreate("Listview Test With Icons", 400, 300)
    $listview = GUICtrlCreateListView("Col 1|Col 2|Col 3", 2, 2, 394, 268, BitOR($LVS_REPORT, $LVS_SHAREIMAGELISTS))
    _GUICtrlListView_SetExtendedListViewStyle($listview, $iLV_EXStyle_NoChecks)
    GUISetState()

; Create the image list
    $hImage = _GUIImageList_Create(16, 16, 5, 3)
    _GUIImageList_AddIcon($hImage, @SystemDir & "\shell32.dll", 165)
    _GUICtrlListView_SetImageList($listview, $hImage, 1)

; Set the order so the first column is moved to the middle,
    ; acting like a subitem with an icon
    _GUICtrlListView_SetColumnOrder($listview, "1|0|2")

; Add the items
    GUICtrlCreateListViewItem("Item1|Item2|Item3", $listview)
    GUICtrlCreateListViewItem("Item4|Item5|Item6", $listview)

; Set an icon for just the first item
    _GUICtrlListView_SetItemImage($listview, 0, 0)

Do
    Until GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
    GUIDelete()
EndFunc   ;==>_Main

snip. don't know. your requirements seem weird to me. why can't everyone have an icon? even just a '-' character?

I see no clipping in the example that you got your code from in the Help file

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

It's going to be a list of applications which will have a column for updates that are available. If there's an update available, it shows a 'new' icon with the new version. If no update is necessary, it's just an empty subitem. And if an item with no updates available is selected, it just looks weird with this white square in the subitem. I was hoping there was some trick to make it blend in.

I've attached an image where I've selected the item without an icon and it shows the 'placeholder' where an icon would be as a white square - it just looks weird to me.

2018-01-19_10-09-17.png

didnt try but, maybe set background color for that item as blue when selected?

I placed a white icon and it looks like this

screenshot - 20012018-1835.jpg

Edited by careca
Spoiler

Renamer - Rename files and folders, remove portions of text from the filename etc.

GPO Tool - Export/Import Group policy settings.

MirrorDir - Synchronize/Backup/Mirror Folders

BeatsPlayer - Music player.

Params Tool - Right click an exe to see it's parameters or execute them.

String Trigger - Triggers pasting text or applications or internet links on specific strings.

Inconspicuous - Hide files in plain sight, not fully encrypted.

Regedit Control - Registry browsing history, quickly jump into any saved key.

Time4Shutdown - Write the time for shutdown in minutes.

Power Profiles Tool - Set a profile as active, delete, duplicate, export and import.

Finished Task Shutdown - Shuts down pc when specified window/Wndl/process closes.

NetworkSpeedShutdown - Shuts down pc if download speed goes under "X" Kb/s.

IUIAutomation - Topic with framework and examples

Au3Record.exe

You might use a dirty workaround... create a zero-width column 0 and set it at the last column position

#include <GuiConstantsEx.au3>
#include <GuiListView.au3>
#include <GuiImageList.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

_Main()

Func _Main()
    Local $hGui, $listview, $hImage
    Local $iLV_EXStyle_NoChecks = BitOR($LVS_EX_GRIDLINES, $LVS_EX_FULLROWSELECT, $LVS_EX_SUBITEMIMAGES, $LVS_EX_DOUBLEBUFFER, $LVS_EX_HEADERDRAGDROP)

$hGui = GUICreate("Listview Test With Icons", 400, 300)
    $listview = GUICtrlCreateListView("|Col 1|Col 2|Col 3", 2, 2, 394, 268, BitOR($LVS_REPORT, $LVS_SHAREIMAGELISTS))
    _GUICtrlListView_SetExtendedListViewStyle($listview, $iLV_EXStyle_NoChecks)
    GUISetState()

; Create the image list
    $hImage = _GUIImageList_Create(16, 16, 5, 3)
    _GUIImageList_AddIcon($hImage, @SystemDir & "\shell32.dll", 165)
    _GUICtrlListView_SetImageList($listview, $hImage, 1)

; Set the order so the first column is moved to the end
    _GUICtrlListView_SetColumnWidth($listview, 0, 0)
    _GUICtrlListView_SetColumnOrder($listview, "1|2|3|0")

; Add the items
    GUICtrlCreateListViewItem("|Item1|Item2|Item3", $listview)
    GUICtrlCreateListViewItem("|Item4|Item5|Item6", $listview)

; Set an icon for just the first item
    _GUICtrlListView_SetItemImage($listview, 0, 0, 2)

Do
    Until GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
    GUIDelete()
EndFunc   ;==>_Main

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By UEZ
      I'm searching for a way to set an icon for a system menu entry in the console window. I can add / remove entries but I didn't find a way to set an icon for the entry I made.
      Example:
      #AutoIt3Wrapper_Change2CUI=y #include <GDIPlus.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <GuiMenu.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> Global $id_Test = 5000 Global $hConsole = HWnd(DllCall("kernel32.dll", "hwnd", "GetConsoleWindow")[0]) If Not $hConsole Then Exit HotKeySet("{ESC}", "_Exit") Global $hSysmenu = _GUICtrlMenu_GetSystemMenu($hConsole) Global $iCount = _GUICtrlMenu_GetItemCount ($hSysmenu) _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($hSysmenu, $iCount, "Test", $id_Test) _GDIPlus_Startup() $hBitmap_GDI = _GDIPlus_BitmapCreateFromMemory(_Test(), True) ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $hBitmap_GDI = ' & $hBitmap_GDI & @CRLF & '>Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console $hBmp1 = _WinAPI_CreateSolidBitmap($hConsole, 0xFF0000, 16, 16) ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $hBmp1 = ' & $hBmp1 & @CRLF & '>Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console $hBmp2 = _WinAPI_CreateSolidBitmap($hConsole, 0x00FF00, 16, 16) ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $hBmp2 = ' & $hBmp2 & @CRLF & '>Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console ;ConsoleWrite(_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemBmp($hSysmenu, $id_Test, $hBitmap_GDI, False) & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite(_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemBitmaps($hSysmenu, $id_Test, $hBmp1, $hBmp2, False) & ", " & @error & @CRLF) ;_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemBmp($hSysmenu, $id_Test, 8, False) ;set the default close icon _GDIPlus_Shutdown() Do Sleep(1000) Until False Func _Exit() ConsoleWrite("Bye..." & @CRLF) _GUICtrlMenu_DeleteMenu ($hSysmenu, $id_Test, False) _WinAPI_DeleteObject($hBitmap_GDI) _WinAPI_DeleteObject($hBmp1) _WinAPI_DeleteObject($hBmp2) Exit EndFunc ;Code below was generated by: 'File to Base64 String' Code Generator v1.20 Build 2020-06-05 Func _Test($bSaveBinary = False, $sSavePath = @ScriptDir) Local $Test $Test &= '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' $Test &= 'qdfrRmutJp6e4q+tKsbYs3in7+7r65OhoSE9MzNjkiRBt9ttkiRxjTHkcjl3bGxMPYhjSdP0rLvdLt1uF9d1BcDzPHdyclL0yspKuLGxcT0IgkeKxaINgsADXBFxAefEQB4ImNT3/W4Yhk6z2awtLy9H/wPnrsNEnFPl4QAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==' Local $bString = _WinAPI_Base64Decode($Test) If @error Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0) $bString = Binary($bString) If $bSaveBinary Then Local Const $hFile = FileOpen($sSavePath & "\AutoSave_16x16_04.png", 18) If @error Then Return SetError(2, 0, $bString) FileWrite($hFile, $bString) FileClose($hFile) EndIf Return $bString EndFunc ;==>_Test Func _WinAPI_Base64Decode($sB64String) Local $aCrypt = DllCall("Crypt32.dll", "bool", "CryptStringToBinaryA", "str", $sB64String, "dword", 0, "dword", 1, "ptr", 0, "dword*", 0, "ptr", 0, "ptr", 0) If @error Or Not $aCrypt[0] Then Return SetError(1, 0, "") Local $bBuffer = DllStructCreate("byte[" & $aCrypt[5] & "]") $aCrypt = DllCall("Crypt32.dll", "bool", "CryptStringToBinaryA", "str", $sB64String, "dword", 0, "dword", 1, "struct*", $bBuffer, "dword*", $aCrypt[5], "ptr", 0, "ptr", 0) If @error Or Not $aCrypt[0] Then Return SetError(2, 0, "") Return DllStructGetData($bBuffer, 1) EndFunc ;==>_WinAPI_Base64Decode  
      You must compile and run it to see the menu entry in the console window.

Any idea?
    • By Jemboy
      Recently I was working on a script with icons using GuiCtrkCreatIcon.
      I decided to change the sub folder name of the icons to a more meaning name, however made a typo.

I tested the .exe on my test computer and it worked flawlessly (because both icon folder where on my test computer) 😁
      But after I installed the script on the intended computers , I got chaos!😵
      Zooming into the problem, I discovered, that because the icons could not be found, the ControlID were returned with a value of 0
      and thus played havoc within the GuiGetMsg() switch/case statement.
      I have been able to reproduce this  (see example)
      #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> ;============================================================================================================ ; PLEASE, do not save this example in the example folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\Examples\Helpfile ;============================================================================================================ Example() Func Example() GUICreate(" My GUI Icons", 250, 250) $Icon1 = GUICtrlCreateIcon("shell32.dll", 10, 20, 20) $Icon2 = GUICtrlCreateIcon(@ScriptDir & '\Extras\horse.ani', -1, 20, 40, 32, 32) $Icon3 = GUICtrlCreateIcon("shell32.dll", 7, 20, 75, 32, 32) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) ;$Icon2 = -1 ; ==> When this line is uncommented the script "works", so -1 could be a potential fix. ; Loop until the user exits. While 1 Switch GUIGetMsg() Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE ExitLoop Case $Icon2 Beep (500,500) EndSwitch WEnd GUIDelete() EndFunc ;==>Example If you save the above script outside the Autoit example folder and run it, it will keep beeping because GuiCtrlCreatIcon did not find horse.ani and return $Icon2=0.
      At the moment GUICtrlCreateIcon () only returns the conntrolID on success and 0 on failure.
      I would like to propose a return of -1 on failure, so a existing and working script won't go awry when the icon can not be found.

• By UEZ
      This project has been discontinued!

Here a small tool I wrote to update my Sysinternal tools collection without the need to download always the whole package or visiting the site to check for updates. I know that there are several tools available (also some tools written in AutoIt) but here another one for the collection. It was good exercise for me to code it.

Some files from the live web site cannot be downloaded although they are visible!

Here the download link of the source code only: AutoIt Sysinternal Tools Synchronizer v0.99.6 build 2020-09-23 beta.7z  (1557 downloads previously)
      -=> Requires AutoIt version 3.3.13.20 or higher / tested on Win8.1 real machine and some VMs: Win7 / Vista / Win10

Compiled exe only: @MediaFire

Just select the Sysinternal Tools folder or create one and press the synchronize button to download the selected items. Click on AutoIt label (near to left upper corner) to open menu.

Special thanks to LarsJ, Melba23 and mesale0077 for their help. 

I've still some ideas to implement which are more gimmick related, so it is not finished yet...
      If you want to add your language please check out #Region Language. Thanks. 

Please report any bug or if you have any suggestions.

The language of the tool tip from each of the executable in the left list view were automatically created using Google translator and weren't checked for correctness.

Br,
      UEZ
    • By Cengokill
      Hi everyone,
      I have created a ListView that is in a tab, and I want to display an image in that tab, with the ListView on top.
      However, the image still appears on top of my ListView.
      If I remove the tabs everything works. 
      I looked at the autoit documentation and the <GuiListView.au3> documentation , I can't figure out how to display a background image, and put on top a ListView, inside a tab. 😥
      Here is the code:
      Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1) $Form1 = GUICreate($Titre, 700, 627, $Form1Width, $Form1Height); main window $tabulation = GUICtrlCreateTab(148,0,700,580); creating tabs $tab1=GUICtrlCreateTabItem("Tab 1"); first tab GUICtrlSetState(-1, $GUI_SHOW); this tab is selected by default $Pic1 = GUICtrlCreatePic("image.jpg", 0, 30, 700, 627) GUICtrlSetState(-1, $GUI_DISABLE). $idListview = GUICtrlCreateListView("list 1|list 2|list 3", 200, 50, 390, 200) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) While 1     Sleep(100) WEnd Thank you in advance.

• By DrJohn
      Hello all.  It's me again.
      I've got a ListView with an associated ImageList to display icons.  What I seem to be hung up on is how to keep the ImageList updated to match the ListView as the latter changes.  I thought it was the case that the indices of the items in the ListView and those in the ImageList just needed to match.  So, for example, if I:
      Delete an item from the ListView [_GUICtrlListView_DeleteItem()], and also delete the image at the matching index in the ImageList [_GUIImageList_Remove()]. Then add a new item to the end of the ListView [_GUICtrlListView_AddItem()], and correspondingly add an image at the end of the ImageList [_GUIImageList_AddIcon()] Shouldn't everything stay in sync?
      Here's the code I thought would work:
      #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <GuiListView.au3> #include <FontConstants.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> #include <GuiImageList.au3> Test() func Test() $gui = GUICreate("Test", 400, 300) ; Create ListView $lv = _GUICtrlListView_Create($gui, "", 10, 10, 380, 240, $LVS_DEFAULT) _GUICtrlListView_AddColumn($lv, "Col1", 50) _GUICtrlListView_AddColumn($lv, "Col2", 50) for $i = 0 to 2 $s = StringFormat("%d,1", $i+1) _GUICtrlListView_AddItem($lv, $s, $i) $s = StringFormat("%d,2", $i+1) _GUICtrlListView_AddSubItem($lv, $i, $s, 1) next ; Add ImageList $img_list = _GUIImageList_Create(16, 16, 5, 3) for $i = 0 to 2 $ico = StringFormat("%d.ico", $i+1) _GUIImageList_AddIcon($img_list, $ico) next _GUICtrlListView_SetImageList($lv, $img_list, 1) ; $btn = GUICtrlCreateButton("Test", 10, 260, 60, 30) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) HotKeySet("^q", Quit) ; Loop until the user exits. while True switch GUIGetMsg() case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Exit case $btn ; Remove 2nd list item and image _GUICtrlListView_DeleteItem($lv, 1) _GUIImageList_Remove($img_list, 1) ; Add new item to end of ListView $idx = _GUICtrlListView_AddItem($lv, "foo") _GUICtrlListView_AddSubItem($lv, $idx, "bar", 1) ; Add new image to end of ImageList _GUIImageList_AddIcon($img_list, "5.ico") endswitch wend GUIDelete() endfunc func Quit() Exit endfunc What seems to happen is that when the new item is added to the ListView, its icon is 1.ico (the first item in the ImageList), rather than 5.ico (the newly added item that should be at the end of the ImageList).
      Or do I need to re-create the whole ImageList any time the ListView changes?
      A zip file is attached that contains the script and also the .ico files, for easier testing.
      Thanks!
      /John
      test.zip