KindEbook Suite (BUGFIXes)

TheSaint

KindEbook Wishlist updated to v6.0, see Post #2.

(v6.0)
Added the missing SplashOff for the spaces in prices fix. When new users are created, they are no longer subject to the spaces in prices fix. Added a Fixit (Fixfile) shortcut, that can be used in an attempt to fix a corrupted user file. Pipe '|' characters if found, are now replaced with a dash in both Title and Author, when adding an ebook. Implemented a one time fix per user, to replace any existing pipes in Title or Author names.

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

UpdateFromOPF updated, to v1.5 , see Post #5. New screenshot.

(v1.5) When relocating multiple authors, you can now elect to have ' & others' text added to remaining first author. The '2 - Comment' button is no longer disabled after use, and can now be re-used in some instances, to relocate even more text. The 'Comments' field has been increased in height again, because the SAVE button has been relocated to its right. TRIM button renamed to LTRIM and the trim right code moved to a new RTRIM button. CASE buttons relocated to the right of their respective fields.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

AZWPlug updated, to v3.4, see Post #3.

(v3.4) Big changes to the 'Results Selector' window ... rearranging, resizing and adding a few things. Added a left TRIM button for Publisher, and ADD button for Author. Extra names for author field can now be added with a selection and click. The enlarged blue label now displays 'off' text, to indicate opening the 'Ebook Display' viewer is not going to happen when 'Results Selector' window is closed (you can still toggle it by clicking that label). Some buttons have been relocated, to better follow the left to right then down usage.

Spoiler

userbar.png

UpdateFromOPF updated, to v1.6 , see Post #5. BUGFIX

(v1.6) Bugfix and Improvement to Series processing. I have also hopefully now solved the unnecessary opening of the calibre library folder, when any working sub-folder is still open. Relocated SAVE button again, to be more convenient for my usage (as I always use the METADATA button for failsafe backup).

Spoiler

userbar.png

Bucket-for-URLs updated to v1.2. See Post #17.

(v1.2) Implemented slicker (faster) loading and sorting. ISBN column now sorts properly. Added a search ability to find text in a title.

Spoiler

userbar.png

AZWPlug updated, to v3.5, see Post #3.

(v3.5) Author and Title buttons swapped position on the 'Results Selector' window. Any pipe (|) characters found, are now replaced by space dash space. UP (Update) button on the 'Ebook Display' window, has been slightly increased in size. RESTORE button has changed to a FIX ALL button, until it or one of the other three buttons have been used. The FIX ALL button applies the processes of the first three buttons, in order from left to right.

Spoiler

userbar.png

UpdateFromOPF updated, to v1.7 , see Post #5.

(v1.7) Improved how leading 'The' is set as trailing ',The'. To make things look nicer in several fields, any '&' is now replaced by an '&' but restored on SAVE. A special '+' sign is also used with an Author name, to restore any '&' on SAVE. Any standard plus sign is maintained throughout. These niceties allow users to use regular text and not worry about the vagaries of an illegal '&' character in XML metadata entries. NOTE - Normally only a single Author name is stored in metadata, but I decided to support any unlikely situation, like 'Schuster & Schuster' or 'Schuster + Schuster'.

Spoiler

userbar.png

KindEbook Wishlist updated to v6.1, see Post #2. BUGFIX

(v6.1)
Sped up the (second half of) batch move to another user process, if 'Slicker' is enabled. Username field has been widened a bit and Comments field lessened in width. Lots of error dialogs had an incorrect title, which has now been fixed. BUGFIX - Find 'Simple' text is now working correctly. ADD a new ebook has been modified slightly to help avoid unwanted clicks, when program window is not active. NOTE - I have experienced weird popups in Amazon browser tabs on occasion, if browsing during ADDING (I suspect this is due to the Click Item function for ListViews ... Mouse related).

Spoiler

userbar.png

FYI - Some of you will have noted that I have been providing updates quite regularly lately ... almost on a daily basis. This is because I have been using the programs in the suite a lot for over a week now, and I have been trying to streamline & speed up things. Blame all the freebies I have been getting via BookBub, that then on a few occasions have led to many other freebies. Been so many lately, that I have still not caught up ... got sidetracked into non-fiction ebooks too ... all freebies, and on a wide range of subjects. Amazon likes to mix up their genres, so cookbooks and beyond often appear in genres like Mystery and Fantasy ... and then other scientific related ones appear in SciFi. I have gathered quite a huge Mystery/Thriller collection now, and many promise to be real good stories.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Added a link in first post, to a new program, Batch Create & Run, that I specifically created to assist with a 7-Zip BAT file I use to encrypt my ebook files and copy to my Google Drive folder. I haven't added it to the suite, because it is not dedicated to ebooks, and perhaps a niche usage for them, as only required by myself probably.

For those interested in such a BAT file, here is the content.

Addpword.bat

@echo off
set fname=%~n1%~x1
set zipres=%~dp0%
"C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" a "E:\Google Drive\Ebooks\%fname%.7z" -ppassword -mhe %1
echo %fname% >> "%zipres%Zipped.txt"
pause
cls
exit

Previously I just dropped an ebook author folder onto the BAT file. Now I put all such folders into Batch Create & Run, using drag & drop. Then click the RUN button. This ensures I get a count and record, plus don't miss anything ... as the folders are amongst many other folders, and the odd one can be missed.

P.S. Of course, I could have created something completely in AutoIt, but I do like to dabble in BAT files now and then. I also did not have AutoIt installed on this machine when I created the BAT file, way back when.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

AZWPlug updated, to v3.6, see Post #3.

(v3.6) Program Information on 'Results Selector' window has been updated. The OPEN button with CTRL held down, will run the next Method, instead of opening the chosen file. Query about returning previous values, after manually running a Method, can now be avoided by enabling the left checkbox (this means they will be automatically returned). Added more error checking etc.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Add Book & All Formats To Calibre updated, to v2.1, see Post #4. New screenshots. BUGFIX.

(v2.1) FIND button swapped position with NEXT and BACK buttons (for more intuitive use). Dropbox has now been given folder and first sub-folder support, to save on clicks & browsing. I also belatedly discovered a BUG, relating to an incorrect match of ebook title, which was preventing an ebook with a name like 'Bilbo' being added, because another ebook by the same author called 'Bilbo Baggins' existed. Clearly neither my code nor the calibre command-line search function were being discriminating enough. Title is now also returned in CSV results (along with ID and Author), so my code can do an exact title check.

EDIT - Third upload of this version. Hopefully third time lucky. Uploaded the second time, because I found I'd missed some code usage in a related function. It only took one short line of code, involving re-use of the _SplitPath function to fix. Third upload, was because a long-time bug, that had not bitten me until today ... that I know of anyway.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

UpdateFromOPF updated, to v1.8 , see Post #5. New screenshot.

(v1.8) Added a thumbnail image of ebook cover, which can be clicked to see a much bigger image. A file called 'cover.jpg' must exist in the OPF file folder. Minor updates to Program Information dialog.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Bucket-for-URLs updated to v1.3. See Post #17. Screenshot updated.

(v1.3) When executing URL (Goto Web Page), the URL is now copied to clipboard. When setting an entry as DONE, then moving selection to NEXT entry is now changed to moving to the next NOT DONE entry. Added a Title input to left of Search field, to show Title text of selected entry.

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 2 weeks later...

AZWPlug updated, to v3.7, see Post #3. New screenshots.

(v3.7)
Removed the CTRL feature from the OPEN button, and assigned it to the new NEXT button. Some elements resized & relocated to accommodate this change. A READ button has been added to 'Ebook Display' window, allowing opening the selected ebook file in either Notepad or Wordpad or 'Other' read program. Added this 'Other' read program option (I use SciTE), which is selectable on the Setup window. Added a 'Delete Selected Entry' right-click option to the UP button. Added a Replacement process for foreign characters at the scan stage, to hopefully avoid some text being skipped etc in Methods 2, 3 & 4. NOTE - For the sake of simplicity, the program does not accept accented characters (it replaces them with the closest norm). This has no impact on calibre, only the AZWPlug database listings.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Add Book & All Formats To Calibre updated, to v2.2, see Post #4. New screenshot.

(v2.2)
Improved detection of existing ebook for author during ADD. Title is now recorded along with Author in the Log file, and both used by the FIND dialog. Info button added to right of the Author field, and displays information for that Author entry, including Title.

Spoiler

userbar.png

UpdateFromOPF updated, to v2.0 , see Post #5. New screenshots.

(v2.0) Added an extra option of a floating Start toolbar, to the 'Run calibre on exit' option, that has a START and CANCEL button. NOTE - I added this, because I now use my new EbookConvert program before calibre is started (a requirement).

(v1.9) Added another Drag & Drop input at the bottom of the dropbox, for checking if a metadata OPF file exists in a folder or sub-folder.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

ConvertEbook

I have created and added a new program, ConvertEbook, to the Suite.
IMPORTANT -  Now redundant where KFX files are concerned, so please use latest version of Batch Ebook Convert, found at Post #41.

ConvertEbook v1.0.zip  632.41 kB  (182 downloads)

ConvertEbook is a pretty basic conversion program that uses some calibre executables.

ebook-convert.exe
calibredb.exe

The ebook to be converted needs to exist in the calibre database, and if missing, ConvertEbook will create EPUB and MOBI files.

EPUB files use the 'Tablet' output profile.
MOBI files use the 'Kindle Paperwhite' profile.

Other than that, the process mostly uses calibre default settings (at this stage) for conversion.

ConvertEbook.exe works via the command-line or drag & drop onto itself. It currently needs an OPF file to be passed by either of those methods, but I am looking at adding folder and sub-folder support.

ConvertEbook extracts the Author and Title values from the OPF file, then checks for that combination in calibre, and requires an exact match to continue. It also looks at the formats that currently exist, and if missing converts the first found (usually AZW3 in my case or sometimes MOBI) to EPUB and MOBI.

Once converted, it then adds each format to the calibre database for that ebook.

Outside of that, the program is pretty limited currently, especially as it processes just one file at a time. To get around that limit, I use my 'Batch Create & Run' program, dragging a bunch of OPF metadata files to its dropbox Source List field, and dragging the ConvertEbook.exe program (once) to the Program Path Input field.

I may add a list and batch ability to ConvertEbook eventually.

I created the ConvertEbook to save me many clicks etc, especially as calibre immediately starts to convert, hence starts hogging memory, once you start a conversion via its conversion windows.

P.S. The program is early in the development stage and so not had lots of testing yet. But a recent bug (calibre limitation), led to some improvements in my Add Book & All Formats To Calibre program ... before the bug showed up there.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

I have now listed another ASSISTIVE PROGRAM to the first post - TeraCopy Timer

I use it just before Batch Create & Run's second use ... first being with my new ConvertEbook program.

Both help speed up things and make it easier to avoid errors.

Spoiler

userbar.png

KindEbook Wishlist updated to v6.3, see Post #2.

(v6.3)
Improved selection of recipient name, when doing COPY or MOVE, by using CTRL with CANCEL button, to cycle through available names. An item (ebook) can now be selected or de-selected for the COPY or MOVE LIST from the 'Selected Entry Detail' image window. A Bugfix for the related line color issue.

(v6.2)
BUGFIX for Exchange Rate, due to Google changing its web page again. This includes an option to continue using the previous Rate (if it exists), when a query has failed. In the case of using the previous, that only lasts the usual amount of time, before another query occurs (where you may get prompted to use previous again, if it fails again).

Spoiler

userbar.png