Linux port

• 2 weeks later...

sry for the long delay i forgot about this one for a while, java looks very flexable and i have been thinking of doing something with it but i dont know anything about it. Does someone know a good enviornment to work in and does anyone know of a good place to find resources to help with the learning of java?

~Dark

sry for the long delay i forgot about this one for a while, java looks very flexable and i have been thinking of doing something with it but i dont know anything about it. Does someone know a good enviornment to work in and does anyone know of a good place to find resources to help with the learning of java?

~Dark

usually when i'm writing java (haven't in a few years) i use dj java decompiler. it's a nice little editor/decompiler that has syntax highlight etc. as far as learning java, i'd say just to google it. if you have any specific questions about syntax or the language, feel free to pm me and i'll help as well as i can. i haven't used it in a while, but it used to be my language of choice, and i still use it sometimes for programming things for other platforms.

Hay, i remembered seeing something about a linux port but i havn't seen anything sense, i was just wondering if there had been any update. Is it beta or has it been dropped? just wondering

~Dark

I'd recommend Python. It's probably already on your Linux platform.

It's much easier to learn than Java, you can call modules from darn near any language from it, it has several cross-platform GUI frameworks available for it, many editors have been made to support Syntax highlighting (including SciTE), and it can easily interface to the shells, so you don't have to use that horrible Bash language.

lol, bad batching :lmao:, isn't python the formatting dependent one?? i may look at python to because i know python and java both work for linux, i've used both before, thanks for the suggestion :P

EDIT: Hay i was wondering if i make a program, either in python or java, are the gui commands, so therefor all the code cross platform?

~Dark

Edited by DarkNecromancer

lol, bad batching :lmao:, isn't python the formatting dependent one?? i may look at python to because i know python and java both work for linux, i've used both before, thanks for the suggestion :P

EDIT: Hay i was wondering if i make a program, either in python or java, are the gui commands, so therefor all the code cross platform?

~Dark

>>isn't python the formatting dependent one??

Not sure what you mean..

Your life just got 100% easier. Take a look at www.Jython.org

Essentially, It's the Python interpreter written in Java. You can pop up Java crapp-lets in just a few lines of Python code, instead of pages of Java.

The guy that wrote Jython (initially) is now working for Microsoft, implementing Pyhon to work with the common language runtime.

If you HAVE to learn Java, Jython will make protoyping so much easier & faster

>>re the gui commands, so therefor all the code cross platform?

There are several Cross-platform gui frameworks, PyGTK, TkInter (for TCL), WxPython (Now called WxWidgets, I think), and PyQT (a wrapper for the QT C++ libs, which are used for KDE)

If you call Linux API's that don't exit on Windows, you'll need to handle this, and vice versa.

For example COM doesn't exit for Linux and RPC in Linux is different than on Windows.

~Dark

This was just posted today- IronPython (for the Microsoft common language runtime) goes beta

<snip>

Edited by Melba23
Hijacked link removed