ScITE code highlighting with #cs/#ce

I've been experiencing an issue with #cs/#ce block comments and AutoIt code highlighting in ScITE. When I insert the comments-start line, the subsequent lines in the file become comment-colored (green) as expected. Much of the time, when I insert the #ce line, the lines following the comments-end revert to normal code highlighting as expected. But other times, the subsequent lines (to the end of the file) stay green until I save, close, and re-open the file. This seems to occur most often when I am using #cs/#ce to comment-out a section of code, but IIRC it can also occur in cases where I'm just inserting a large comment.

So far, I haven't noticed any pattern to this behavior. The only thing that I can think of is the way I'm entering the #cs & #ce lines when commenting-out code; I often do the following;

1. Insert the #cs line, something like: #cs ======== Explanation for commenting-out ========
  2. Text below the line turns green
  3. Copy the entire #cs line
  4. Paste it after the code section (as #cs ...)
  5. Edit the pasted line to start with #ce instead of #cs
  6. The text below the #ce either reverts to normal ScITE/AutoIt highlighting OR remains green, in which case I have to close and reopen the file to restore normal highlighting.

I'm using ScITE Version 3.6.0 (Aug  4 2015 17:34:27).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

When the going gets tough, the tough start coding.

This issue is a know issue and reported some time ago.

Current beta version already have some fixes in this regard and trust me current state is better then before.

Unfortunately not perfect as you found, but this is @Jos project so only he can say anything more about.

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

• Developers

@tremolux66,

Please try the latest available Beta SciTE.exe & Scilexer.dll combination to see if this issue still exists.
If so then I will have a look, but a quick check of the described steps don't fail on my SciTE version. 

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Developers

I did fix some issues form the commentblock lexing so am sure you hit on one of those, so that is why I proposed to use beta. I will need the exact steps in case you hit on another one. :)

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Jos

JUst create a new .au3 with the Template

add some code at the end

Finally you get the pb inserting in first line a ligne starting with #test or even #AutoIt3Wrapper_*

I hope that help

I am running with the latest SciTE.exe/dll of the beta area

Good luck

• Developers
3 minutes ago, jpm said:

Finally you get the pb inserting in first line a ligne starting with #test or even #AutoIt3Wrapper_*

Which problem is that as I don't see anything irregular happening when a add 2 lines at the end en then type in the firstline: #test{enter} ?

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

the code is supposed to change color loose code coloring

#Au3Stripper_Ignore_Funcs
#cs ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

AutoIt Version: 3.3.15.0 (Beta)
 Author:         myName

Script Function:
    Template AutoIt script.

#ce ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

; Script Start - Add your code below here

MsgBox(0, "", "")

Just  add after 1st line a line

#test

when you move the cursor in the #cs area the Msgbox get green

• Developers

Thanks, I was indeed one time able to replicate the behavior, but then it kept working fine for me...  still trying to come up with a simple way to replicate it so it can be debugged. 

edit: Strike that..., found a easy way to replicate it so can do some debugging!

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

I found an issue in the lexer and fixed that in the current Beta versions of SciTE.exe & SciLexer.dll.
Please check whether you can still get it to go wrong.

It is the 3.7.5 version of SciTE I updated with this. Will also look at the 4.0.2 version of SciTE.

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

The test version 4.0.2 now has the same update located here: https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/download/Develop_Share/

Remember this is a major change of SciTE which isn't declared stable as yet and requires an update for all files located in this directory for SciTE to function properly. 

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

using Dev SciTE4Au3 v4.0.2

Try this:

#cs
#ce

MsgBox(0, "", "")

And focus #cs #ce hit few times, enter <> backspace, just play with it and you will find situaltion when MsgBox() is getting grey.

image.png.d93115d5487398b722b861ee46b32f98.png

Sorry for my dark theme.

Edited by mLipok
smaller repro snippet

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

• Developers
17 hours ago, mLipok said:

And focus #cs #ce hit few times, enter <> backspace, just play with it and you will find situaltion when MsgBox() is getting grey.

mmm..  not so much an exact replicator here :)

Anyways: it is as simple as...use this code

#cs
#ce
$a=1

Insert line 2 and type any character and hit backspace and the last line becomes the color of the commentblock

Got something to debug....

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Infact using the latest download from yesterday make me to think the same the first time I use them (replaced in the scite installed dir)

But on second run it works good

using the above repro does not produce any error on my environnment

strange

Jpm

• Developers

It is only the $.0.2 version that is wrong as I missed one line to merge  between the separate projects. :)

Uploaded an updated SciLexer.dll for the 4.0.2 version in Develop_Share.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Will check later.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

@Jos

Better now ... but I notice some problem with  folding.

image.png.0cb0ef1c8aef31b62762be3d9c81dcca.png

Try this simple repro snippet:

#cs
#ce
MsgBox(0, "", "")

#cs
#ce

MsgBox(0, "", "")

HOWTO: 

GoTo 3,1 and hit Enter ... and Backspace

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• Developers
3 hours ago, jpm said:

do I need to switch to?

That is up to you. I have made the new SciTE 4.0.2 available as a separate setup. Neil doesn't deem this yet as production so have done this merge separate and will not move it into the production thread until that changes, so it is there for those that what to have a go.  Many things changed, including the LUA scripts, so there is no simple switch between the 2 versions.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.