Accessibility issue with the large sleep in AutoIt GUI message loop

darking

Hi guys!

I've just signed up here and I hope I'm not posting this topic in the wrong forum and such.

I am a blind programmer who'd like to use an automation tool to simplify some things for myself or implement accessibility for some things that are not accessible by no other means (like mouse click in a certain place).

Well, I've tried both AutoIt and AutoHotKey in the last few days and I can certainly say that whoever has a programming background like me would be repulsed by AHK syntax! :)

Beside that, I looked at the function reference and it covers my needs way better than AHK.

And let's not forget the UDFs.

I only have an issue with the AutoIt's implementation of GUI that I didn't have this problem with AHK when I tested it:
I'm not sure my guess is correct or not but I guess AutoIt uses a large sleep time in its GUI message loop.
This might not be an issue for the sighted users but for someone who uses screen readers they have major performance issue with the GUI.
To be mor specific: An AutoIt GUI lags the screenreader when we're trying to navigating using the"TAB" key because the screenreader needs to get its information from the windo.
While AHK GUIs ran smoothly.
I'd really like to continue using AutoIt but this is a major problem for me.
Is there anyway it could be fixed?
Or, Is there any beta version (or alternative version) that doesn't have this problem?
Or, Is there any hope of this being fixed in the near future?

Looking forward to your replys!

• Developers

Don't put any sleep() statements in a GUI message loop or use "GUI OnEvent Mode" (see helpfile for details. :)

Jos 

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

That was also my point: I meant the AutoIt implementation of GUI. Not the scripts.

And, I've used both mode with no luck.

I've asked someone else about this and he answered that There's nothing much that I can do because AutoIt developers have a really large sleep time in the windows message loop of the window and it's fine for sighted people but screen readers lag as a result.

That's why I asked this here to see if there's anything I can do to fix such an issue or if it is going to be fixed?

Thanks!

• Developers
14 minutes ago, darking said:

because AutoIt developers have a really large sleep time in the windows message loop

There is a 10 msec pause when GUIGetMsg() is done just to ensure not using too much CPU. Other than that I wouldn't know what is meant here.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Hi.

can you recommend a screen reader that is for free and even portable to test with?

Conrad

SciTE4AutoIt = 3.7.3.0   AutoIt = 3.3.14.2   AutoItX64 = 0   OS = Win_10   Build = 19044   OSArch = X64   Language = 0407/german
H:\...\AutoIt3\SciTE     H:\...\AutoIt3      H:\...\AutoIt3\Include     (H:\ = Network Drive)

88x31.png  Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind.

Show the main message loop with entire Select Case structure.
You can delete all contents beetwen Cases 

I remember that long time ago, I had a some issue with this, and of course it was my fault.

To show you what I mean from example

Local $idMsg = 0
    ; In this message loop we use variables to keep track of changes to the radios, another
    ; way would be to use GUICtrlRead() at the end to read in the state of each control
    While 1
        $idMsg = GUIGetMsg()
        Select
            Case $idMsg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "Dialog was closed")
                ExitLoop
            Case $idMsg = $GUI_EVENT_MINIMIZE
                MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "Dialog minimized", 2)
            Case $idMsg = $GUI_EVENT_MAXIMIZE
                MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "Dialog restored", 2)

Case $idMsg = $idButton_1
                MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "Default button clicked:" & @CRLF & "Radio " & $iRadioVal1)

Case $idMsg >= $idRadio_1 And $idMsg <= $idRadio_3
                $iRadioVal1 = $idMsg - $idRadio_1

EndSelect
    WEnd

and here you have what I'm asking for:

Local $idMsg = 0
    While 1
        $idMsg = GUIGetMsg()
        Select
            Case $idMsg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Case $idMsg = $GUI_EVENT_MINIMIZE
            Case $idMsg = $GUI_EVENT_MAXIMIZE
            Case $idMsg = $idButton_1
            Case $idMsg >= $idRadio_1 And $idMsg <= $idRadio_3
        EndSelect
    WEnd

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

Well I've written two sample GUIs with the two modes available in AutoIt and they both have lag issue at least with NVDA that I'm using:

The first one using the message loop...

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

Main()

Func Main()
    Opt("GUICoordMode", 2)
    GUICreate("Example GUI", 400, 400)
    GUISetCoord(10, 10)
    $note = GUICtrlCreateLabel("This is a label for testing purposes...", -1, 10, 380, 330)
    $en = GUICtrlCreateButton("OK", -1, 10, 175, 30)
    $dis = GUICtrlCreateButton("Cancel", 20, -1, 175, 30)
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $en
                MsgBox(0, "MsgBox", "You pressed OK...")
            Case $dis
                Exit
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop
        EndSwitch
    WEnd
    GUIDelete()
EndFunc   ;==>Main

And the second one using the OnEvent mode...

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1) ; Change to OnEvent mode

Local $hMainGUI = GUICreate("Hello World", 200, 100)
GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "CLOSEButton")
GUICtrlCreateLabel("Hello world! How are you?", 30, 10)
Local $iOKButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("OK", 50, 50, 40)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent($iOKButton, "OKButton")
Local $iCancelButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Cancel", 100, 50, 80)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent($iCancelButton, "CLOSEButton")
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hMainGUI)

While 1
    Sleep(10) ; Sleep to reduce CPU usage
WEnd

Func OKButton()
    ; Note: At this point @GUI_CtrlId would equal $iOKButton,
    ; and @GUI_WinHandle would equal $hMainGUI
    MsgBox($MB_OK, "GUI Event", "You selected OK!")
EndFunc   ;==>OKButton

Func CLOSEButton()
    ; Note: At this point @GUI_CtrlId would equal $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE,
    MsgBox($MB_OK, "GUI Event", "You selected CLOSE! Exiting...")
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>CLOSEButton

Edited by Jos
formatted code

• Developers

What kind of lag do you experience on your computer with each version?
in other words, what do you do to experience the lag?

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

I have changed the second script to the below and can keep on clicking the Ok button just fine:

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1) ; Change to OnEvent mode

Local $hMainGUI = GUICreate("Hello World", 200, 100)
GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "CLOSEButton")
GUICtrlCreateLabel("Hello world! How are you?", 30, 10)
Local $iOKButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("OK", 50, 50, 40)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent($iOKButton, "OKButton")
Local $iCancelButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Cancel", 100, 50, 80)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent($iCancelButton, "CLOSEButton")
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hMainGUI)

While 1
    Sleep(10) ; Sleep to reduce CPU usage
WEnd

Func OKButton()
    ; Note: At this point @GUI_CtrlId would equal $iOKButton,
    ConsoleWrite("GUI Event...You selected OK!" & @CRLF)
EndFunc   ;==>OKButton

Func CLOSEButton()
    ; Note: At this point @GUI_CtrlId would equal $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE,
    ConsoleWrite("GUI Event...You selected OK!" & @CRLF)
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>CLOSEButton

... the same counts for the first example when changing the msgbox to consolewrite... no lag what so ever.

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I did NOT notice any lag when using the tab key to move between controls on the sample forms you provided.

This is using nvda_uiAccess.exe with my processor limited to 800 mhz. Is there anything special I am missing in your use case?

I tested both examples and I didn't face any lags too. I used the standard preferences. I just started the nvda as a portable version and it worked very quick.

Regards, Conrad

SciTE4AutoIt = 3.7.3.0   AutoIt = 3.3.14.2   AutoItX64 = 0   OS = Win_10   Build = 19044   OSArch = X64   Language = 0407/german
H:\...\AutoIt3\SciTE     H:\...\AutoIt3      H:\...\AutoIt3\Include     (H:\ = Network Drive)

88x31.png  Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind.

2 hours ago, darking said:

Well I've written two sample GUIs with the two modes available in AutoIt and they both have lag issue at least with NVDA that I'm using:

Does this two examples works well without NVDA , on yours 800 Mhz processor ?

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

Thanks guys for testing and replying...

Well, it's not a big lag but if you put a few controls on the GUI (like buttons and textboxes), when you try to press "tab" key to quickly cycle through them it's noticible...

for instance, try to press tab key quickly both in an autoIt GUI and something else like windows explorer...

• Developers

I can imagine that the software you are running can introduce this behavior as that has to do screen scraping each time the gui updates.
Not if that is something that we can change and how easy it is to test.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Hello all,

I'm using Autoit and NVDA together too.

Slow performance of Autoit Gui is visible also in Text fields (Edit, Richedit. When you have longer text field, performance of NVDA during reading line by line is slower than in other programs, regardless on Loop or event mode.

Friend of mine noticed, that in Autoit v3.2.10.0 was gui as fast as in other programs.

So you can compare gui performance with Nvda in those two versions of Autoit and check which change makes this actual interaction behaviour.

It's not dependent on hardware.

Slow performance of Autoit gui with screen readers is the same regardless on running PC.

Best way to notice it is comparation with other programs.

For example edit in Notepad is more faster operable than edit created in Autoit Gui.