darking

Accessibility issue with the large sleep in AutoIt GUI message loop

AutoIt is an interpreted language. If you want high performance, go with a compiled .NET language or C/C++ 

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

Hello All,
I'm sorry for replying in to relative old thread, but the situation discussed here is the same till now. :)

We Discussed slow gui performance with Screen readers in combination with Gui Concept.

During my last testing of that, i noticed following summary:
The performance is the same, regardless of value in Sleep function used in GuiOnEvent Loop (Sleep(10) is the same as for example Sleep(1000)).
The process priority of running script [ also don't have any effect.
This behaviour is actual from autoit version 3. 3. 12. 0.
In previous release 3. 3. 10. 0 was gui performance with screen readers as normal as in other applications.
Gui performance is totaly fast, when the On Event mode loop is empty.
I know that it's not good practice, cause the CPU is redundantly throttled, but i'm teling it here just for info.
So, can developers of Autoit check behaviour of Sleep function in context with processing of gui events inside of Autoit.
I think that slow gui performance with screen readers is directly related with implementation of Sleep function in conjunction with processing of Gui inside Autoit.

Don't think your story is related at all to this thread as that doesn't talk about GuiOnEvent() but rather GUIGetMsg() with its 10ms sleep build in.
Any replicator script you can share to show the issue you have?

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Replicator scripts are written by Darking on the first page of this thread.

If you let the gui loop empty, the performance of Screen reader (Link also on the first page) is totaly fast.

It's not so big issue, but for Screen reader users and visualy impaired programers, the autoit is very nice language.

And when the controls are native Win32, it would be fine to have created guis also nice and fast as much as possible. .)

...  yes and you have seen my answer? 
It is/was working fine for me so it is hard to figure out an issue when it's not showing up for us.
Any idea what the specific condition might be that triggers this slowness, because I do not think we figured that out previously in this thread, unless I missed it?

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Yes, i understand, that it's hard to reproduce it. But. If you use for example variant of script with on event mode and let the loop empty, without the Sleep function, you notice, that performance of gui with Screen reader is very fast.

But if you set the Sleep to some value doesn(t matter if 10, 100 or 1000, the gui becomes to be more slower than before.

I think that this behaviour is not typical.

I understand, that High CPU usage without a Sleep can reserve more resources and fast performance of gui with Screen reader can be only side effect of this.

But it must be somethink else, because this changed between two autoit versions.

I was read the version history, but unfortunately there is nothing related to this.

I love autoit so much and only think why i'm trying to solve this is my

effort to have Autoit as powerfull as possible also for visualy impaired users.. :)

Thank you for your quick replyes..

Fenzik

So, i found a best way to demonstrate slow Gui performance at all...

When you turn on Autoit 3 wrapper Gui tool with Screen reader also turned on, you can notice, that manipulating with this tool is slow.

It's also noticeable when you switch to the Wrapper gui from another window.

Fenzik