TreeView + GetText: only number of items is found

Hi,

I am new to AutoIt and am trying my best to improve my skills and also one day hope to return some support to others here.

I am currently struggling with an external application that I need to control.

So far, I have been able to do some very basic stuff, e.g. launch it, wait for its main window to show up, select a menu item and click it, wait for another window to show up.

This second window contains a large treeview control. It has many collapsed items with many sub-items, also collapsed, and then many entries. I was able to identify the control to get its window handle, class name, ID and I was also able to get the correct amount of items and sub-items.

The point where I am stuck now is to search for a particular item, click on that item to both select it and return from the treeview window to the main window. Unfortunately, I cannot post an image of the treeview here because I use it at work and atm I am using my private Linux computer on which i cannot use autoit anyway.

I am stuck because I do not get any string results, either I get 0 or no entry at all.

As I am really quite new I might already be stuck deciding what function I should use to get the text items. Am I right to say that there are _GUI functions that are supposed to work only with autoit-built GUIs, or would all functions provided by autoit work both for internal and external GUIs? How about the admin-issue - would this cure my issue, if I ran autoit as admin (not sure why I get correct results for the number of items though)?

Perhaps you can point me to a neat and fool-proof tutorial on how to setup autoit to properly find text in a treeview.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance! It is highly appreciated.

Marty.

These are the details I get from autoit:

>>>> Window <<<<

Title:      Testcases

Class:    WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.141b42a_r14_ad1

Position:              2888, 166

Size:      553, 636

Style:    0x16CF0000

ExStyle: 0x00050100

Handle: 0x0000000000560A88

>>>> Control <<<<

Class:    WindowsForms10.SysTreeView32.app.0.141b42a_r14_ad1

Instance:             1

ClassnameNN:  WindowsForms10.SysTreeView32.app.0.141b42a_r14_ad11

Name:  treOverview

Advanced (Class):            [NAME:treOverview]

ID:          527098

Text:    

Position:              7, 48

Size:      525, 543

ControlClick Coords:       265, 247

Style:    0x56310207

ExStyle: 0x00000000

Handle: 0x0000000000080AFA

>>>> Mouse <<<<

Position:              3168, 492

Cursor ID:           0

Color:    0x3A0000

>>>> StatusBar <<<<

>>>> ToolsBar <<<<

>>>> Visible Text <<<<

ToolStrip1

Overview

@Earthshine

I am sorry I cannot post the original application window content due to restrictions of my company. It is no standard Windows application (no Explorer, no Excel, no part of Office). It is a non-AutoIt application (i.e. no AutoIt elements were used to create the window and the treeview list).

Would it be required to unfold all collapsed parts before searching for a particular string? But atm. I do not even get a single string.

• 4 months later...

OK, I was finally able to make some progress here.

;Do
   ; Check if application is running, if not, run it with current request.
[THIS WORKS]

; Now that application is running, open the required window
[THIS WORKS]

; Get current handle of window
   $hWnd = WinWaitActive("[CLASS:WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.141b42a_r14_ad1; TITLE:Testcases; INSTANCE:1]")

; Get current handle of the Tree Overview Control
   $hMenu = ControlGethandle($hWnd,"","[CLASS:WindowsForms10.SysTreeView32.app.0.141b42a_r14_ad1;NAME:treOverview; INSTANCE:1]")

; Get current ID of the Tree Overview Control.
   $myID = _WinAPI_GetDlgCtrlID($hMenu)

; Enter the string to be searched
[THIS WORKS]

; Reactivate Window again, in case it is covered by other windows
[THIS WORKS]

$location = _TreeViewSearch( "Testcases", "", $hMenu, $testcaseID, "#0" ) ; ==> This is a function I've found in autoit forum examples.
   ControlTreeView( "Testcases", "", $myID, "Select", $location )

[THIS WORKS]

;controlclick("Testcases","",$location) ==> does not work

;until @error=1

It is working to open the required application.

It is working to make autoit open the required window.

It is working to enter a search string and find it in the treeview.

Now what does not work:

The entry is found OK and it is selected. "Selected" here means that the entry is highlighted but not clicked.

I cannot send a mouse click to the item.

The do... until loop does not work. I cannot exit the loop by checking @error=1 which is supposed to be set when the "Cancel" button in the inputbox command used to enter the search string is clicked.

What should I do?

I am having a hard time to understand the "index reference" vs. "text index" etc. stuff.

From what I have learned so far, "index" is a string that looks like this: "#1 | #1 | 2"

But how do I found a numerical value of a entry in a treeview list that would be required to use command ControlClick? Is this correct at all?

I also do not understand the concept of _GUIxxx commands. I think that these can only be used for GUIs created using autoit itself. So it is not possible to use them for external windows controls. Why do I see so many examples in autoit forum that use _GUIxxx commands also for external windows controls, if this is not even supposed to work?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Marty

Edited by MartyCologne