How to start?

Hello community I just started to read the Powershell in a month of lunches book, I want to learn Powershell and make Gui's to execute Powershell scripts, I know that AutoIt is capable for a lot of things included Gui's, My question is how to start my journey, I have no prior programming experience, should I learn only powershell first and then jump to AutoIt, and are there any books for AutoIt, and more important where can I find a Gui builder for AutoIt, I read somewhere for KODA but I can't find it.  

Any help/advice will be much appreciated.

• Moderators

Powershell and AutoIt are two very different languages, with different capabilities. As someone who spends almost all day in PowerShell and PowerCLI, it is indeed a powerful language. But as someone who loves the AutoIt language I will always suggest becoming proficient here first - it provides the foundation if and when you want to move on to other languages.

AutoIt GUIs are incredibly easy to create, compared to the teeth-pulling you will experience making them natively in PS to begin with. And here you will find a very active, helpful community of people who use AutoIt for a vast array of tasks and will offer support and advice along the way. Because of the community we have built, and because the language is ever-growing and evolving, we don't suggest any books out there (there have been some really bad ones in recent years). Anything put down in print and published will soon be outdated. This forum is your best source for knowledge.

Additionally, and everyone has their own opinion on this I am sure, but personally I would suggest forgoing KODA altogether. It doesn't take much to learn how to create GUIs in AutoIt, and if you plan to transition to other languages you'll need to know how things work anyway. A nice little designer is great in the beginning, but most people outgrow it quickly anyway, and I have seen reliance on it cause issues where simply reading the help file sections on GUI Management and learning how things work goes much father toward becoming comfortable.

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Hi,

In my own opinion, I would rather choose first AutoIt as your stepping stone for programming as simple as ABCs. Doing things like you can't imagine that it is possible would be as easy as it was when you learn this language. Before I learn this language, I used to practice some other languages (C#, Python, VBA, Pearl, Php, Java etc...) but these other languages are tooth-aching where you need to pull-out your brain just to make that program work as expected. To tell you honestly, when I learned AutoIt, other languages are similar as it was and easy to understand but of course some foundations are harder for other languages.^_^

I'm not discouraging other languages (they are wonderful as well) but the point is, AutoIt is the best that I ever tried, community is honest, welling to suggest, helping others and everything you ask can be answered by them but of course you need to read our forum rules there are exemption;).

Here's how you start:

- Read the Help file.

- Code some basic coding and parse the code.

-  Explore the language what ever you like to have.

- Go to this forum for support and suggestions.

That's all, when you have these maybe you can start a real program in the future. This is just my opinion and I know there are lots of MOD, and other Pep's here that can enlighten your knowledge more as I do.:sweating:

See you in your first code.....:lol: and WELCOME to AutoIt Forum!!!

KS15

Programming is "To make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies" or "To make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies" by C.A.R. Hoare.

Just few aditional info:

1) Koda is part of Scite4AutoIt3

https://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit-script-editor/

https://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit-script-editor/downloads/

2) AutoIt's Helpfile ("C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\AutoIt.chm") should be the first what I suggest you to read, especially these sections:

Using AutoIt

Tutorials

Language Reference

Keyword/Statement Reference

and also quickly look at list of functions in Function Reference (by category) - just to see what you can use

EDIT: AutoIt's helpfile is really GREAT with many details and examples

Edited by Zedna

4 hours ago, KickStarter15 said:

Hi,

In my own opinion, I would rather choose first AutoIt as your stepping stone for programming as simple as ABCs. Doing things like you can't imagine that it is possible would be as easy as it was when you learn this language. Before I learn this language, I used to practice some other languages (C#, Python, VBA, Pearl, Php, Java etc...) but these other languages are tooth-aching where you need to pull-out your brain just to make that program work as expected. To tell you honestly, when I learned AutoIt, other languages are similar as it was and easy to understand but of course some foundations are harder for other languages.^_^

I'm not discouraging other languages (they are wonderful as well) but the point is, AutoIt is the best that I ever tried, community is honest, welling to suggest, helping others and everything you ask can be answered by them but of course you need to read our forum rules there are exemption;).

Here's how you start:

- Read the Help file.

- Code some basic coding and parse the code.

-  Explore the language what ever you like to have.

- Go to this forum for support and suggestions.

That's all, when you have these maybe you can start a real program in the future. This is just my opinion and I know there are lots of MOD, and other Pep's here that can enlighten your knowledge more as I do.:sweating:

See you in your first code.....:lol: and WELCOME to AutoIt Forum!!!

KS15

Thank you very much for your help

1 hour ago, Zedna said:

Just few aditional info:

1) Koda is part of Scite4AutoIt3

https://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit-script-editor/

https://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit-script-editor/downloads/

2) AutoIt's Helpfile ("C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\AutoIt.chm") should be the first what I suggest you to read, especially these sections:

EDIT: AutoIt's helpfile is really GREAT with many details and examples

Thank you very much i'll read all this