ProcessExists stops working?

Is there any reason that ProcessExists would start returning false on a process that still .. exists?

I'm having an issue that I'm so far unable to reproduce reliably, so this is more a general question/advice thread. I have a rather elaborate script running and interacting with a server application. Because the server can crash, one of the purposes of my script is to relaunch the server if it stops.

I'm accomplishing this by storing the PID whenever I Run() the server, and I have an if statement with ProcessExists() in a loop to relaunch. This is a snippet:

While 1
    If Not ProcessExists($I_PID) Then
        _LogWrite('Process lost: ' & $I_PID)

If TimerDiff($iRelaunchTimer) < 5000 Then
            $iRelaunchCount += 1
        Else
            $iRelaunchCount = 1
        EndIf

If $iRelaunchCount <= 5 Then
            _LogWrite('Relaunching... (attempt ' & $iRelaunchCount & ')')
            _Launch()
        Else
            Local $sRelaunchExceeded = 'Relaunch looped ' & $iRelaunchCount & ' times in ' & Round(TimerDiff($iRelaunchTimer)/1000) & ' seconds. Check that server is not already running. Exiting.'
            _LogWrite($sRelaunchExceeded)
            MsgBox(0x10, $APP_NAME, $sRelaunchExceeded)
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
        $iRelaunchTimer = TimerInit()
    Else
        ; Do a bunch of other stuff
    EndIf
WEnd

Func _Launch()
    Global $I_PID = Run($SERVER_CMD, $SERVER_DIR, @SW_HIDE, $STDERR_MERGED)
    If @error Then
        MsgBox(0x10, $APP_NAME, 'Error running command:' & @LF & $SERVER_CMD & @LF & @LF & 'In directory:' & @LF & $SERVER_DIR) ; OK: 1
        Exit 600
    EndIf
    _LogWrite('Server launched (PID:' & $I_PID & ').')
    IniWrite($INI_FILE, 'Config', 'PID', $I_PID)
EndFunc

That's not really runnable, but you get the general idea. As I suggested above, the issue I'm experiencing is that sometimes ProcessExists returns false even though the process does still exist (getting the PID from the log, and checking task manager I can see it's still running with the same PID), and the server won't relaunch if it's already running. And the major problem I'm having with diagnosing this is that it happens completely intermittently. It could go for days just fine, or only hours (it's never quick though of course). The server runs on our media computer all the time and the computer and server sometimes go for a few days without being checked on, but ideally we'd like it running all the time.

Anyway, I'm stumped, so any advice on offer will be gratefully accepted.

Edited by therks

Instead of using ProcessExists() try using ProcessWait() with a suitable time-out value

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

Well it took several days but it still managed to fail in the same way. It's reacting as if the processes don't exist, even when freshly created.

Like, the code can literally be shrunken down to:

While 1
    Global $I_PID = Run('whatever.exe')
    ConsoleWrite('Server launched (PID:' & $I_PID & ').')
    If Not ProcessWait($I_PID, 1) Then
        ConsoleWrite('Process lost: ' & $I_PID)
    Else
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
WEnd

My console looks like this:

Server launched (PID:5628).
Process lost: 5628
Server launched (PID:11240).
Process lost: 11240
Server launched (PID:8680).
Process lost: 8680
Server launched (PID:10968).
Process lost: 10968

And if I check task manager, all those processes DO exist.

• Developers

Actually the whole code looks flawed and can't generate the shown output unless there is more code to it.
So, simply post a proper replicator script please!

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Ok, so I just realized that ProcessWait() isn't supposed to accept a PID (although it does), so that code is technically flawed but I threw that together as a quick example (without testing; my mistake).

Here's an example (that I tested) that is more or less what my original script is doing:

#include <AutoItConstants.au3>

Global $PID

_Launch()
_Main()

Func _Main()
    Local $iRelaunchTrack, $iRelaunchMax = 5
    Local $sStdout

While 1
        If Not ProcessExists($PID) Then
            ConsoleWrite('Process lost (' & $PID & ')' & @LF)
            If $iRelaunchTrack < $iRelaunchMax Then
                $iRelaunchTrack += 1
                ConsoleWrite('Relaunch attempt #' & $iRelaunchTrack & @LF)
                _Launch()
            Else
                ConsoleWrite('Relaunch has been attempted over ' & $iRelaunchTrack & ' times. Exiting for safety.')
                ExitLoop
            EndIf
        Else
            $sStdout = StdoutRead($PID)
            If Not @error And $sStdout Then
                ConsoleWrite('<Server> ' & $sStdout & @LF)
            EndIf
        EndIf
    WEnd
EndFunc

Func _Launch()
    Global $PID = Run(@ComSpec, @MyDocumentsDir, @SW_SHOW, BitOR($STDIN_CHILD, $STDERR_MERGED))
    ConsoleWrite('Process has been launched (' & $PID & ')' & @LF)
EndFunc

(Obviously in actual use I'm running the server application, not @ComSpec.)

The script runs fine, until suddenly ProcessExists() starts returning false, even though the process still exists (I can see the matching PID in task manager). The main problem is there's no consistency to when this error starts happening. The server and my script run fine for several hours (or days), and then suddenly the script can no longer see the process and starts trying to relaunch the server (which in my case would fail anyway because the server is still running and the ports are inaccessible). Also, as I said above, once it hits this point ProcessExists() doesn't see the new processes either.

I can't duplicate the problem, but I rewrote your code to avoid the Globals that you were using. Plus, you redeclared the $PID variable inside the function, which wasn't needed or desired.

_Main()

Func _Main()
    Local $iRelaunchTrack, $iRelaunchMax = 5
    Local $sStdout
    Local $PID = _Launch()

While 1
            ConsoleWrite('Process lost (' & $PID & ')' & @LF)
                $iRelaunchTrack += 1
                ConsoleWrite('Relaunch attempt #' & $iRelaunchTrack & @LF)
                $PID = _Launch()
            Else
                ConsoleWrite('Relaunch has been attempted over ' & $iRelaunchTrack & ' times. Exiting for safety.' & @CRLF)
                ExitLoop
            EndIf
        Else
                ConsoleWrite('<Server> ' & $sStdout & @LF)
            EndIf
        EndIf
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>_Main

Func _Launch()
    $Temp = Run(@ComSpec, @MyDocumentsDir, @SW_SHOW, BitOR($STDIN_CHILD, $STDERR_MERGED))
    ConsoleWrite('Process has been launched (' & $Temp & ')' & @LF)
    Return $Temp
EndFunc   ;==>_Launch

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Oh, thank you, but it's just a repro script. My original script uses that global in a registered exit function that ensures the process has been shutdown.

It's more like this (I wrote this as the repro first, but I figured it was unnecessarily large)

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <GUIEdit.au3>

Global $PID, $ED_LOG

OnAutoItExitRegister(_OnExit)

_Launch()
_Main()

Func _Main()
    Local $iRelaunchTrack, $iRelaunchMax = 5, $iGUIGetMsg
    Local $sStdout

Local $hGUI = GUICreate('Server watch', 300, 300, Default, Default, $WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW)
    $ED_LOG = GUICtrlCreateEdit('', 0, 0, 300, 300)
        GUICtrlSetResizing(-1, $GUI_DOCKBORDERS)
    GUISetState()

While 1
        $iGUIGetMsg = GUIGetMsg()
        If $iGUIGetMsg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Then ExitLoop

_Log('Process lost (' & $PID & ')')
                $iRelaunchTrack += 1
                _Log('========================================')
                _Log('Relaunch attempt #' & $iRelaunchTrack)
                _Launch()
            Else
                _Log('Relaunch has been attempted over ' & $iRelaunchTrack & ' times. Exiting for safety.')
                ExitLoop
            EndIf
        Else
                _Log('<Server> ' & $sStdout)
            EndIf
        EndIf
    WEnd
EndFunc

Func _Launch()
    $PID = Run(@ComSpec, @MyDocumentsDir, @SW_SHOW, BitOR($STDIN_CHILD, $STDERR_MERGED))
    _Log('Process has been launched (' & $PID & ')')
EndFunc

Func _OnExit()
    If ProcessExists($PID) Then
        _Log('Exiting process.')
        StdinWrite($PID, 'exit' & @LF)
        If Not ProcessWaitClose($PID, 5) Then
            _Log('Process still running. Forcing closed.')
            ProcessClose($PID)
        EndIf
    EndIf
EndFunc

Func _Log($sMsg)
    _GUICtrlEdit_AppendText($ED_LOG, $sMsg & @CRLF)
    ConsoleWrite($sMsg & @CRLF)
EndFunc

maybe the error is in the Server code, because, you know, the client can't talk to it anymore, becomes unresponsive probably, maybe in a loop? What is the server written in?

I ran your earlier test code quite a while on 2008R2 and it worked as expected.

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

I had actually thought of that as well, and I would be satisfied to chalk it up to that, except for the fact that new processes fail to be recognized as well.

Like, while trying to debug this, I rewrote my script so it would prompt me before trying to relaunch. So I actually killed the server manually, then let my script relaunch the server, and the server starts up and runs fine, but the script immediately says the process doesn't exist. The only thing that works is closing and relaunching my script, then everything works fine.

If we can't figure this out here, I'm thinking what I might end up doing is when ProcessExists fails:

• Write the "lost" PID to INI file
  • Terminate/Relaunch script
  • Read PID from INI
  • Kill process
  • Relaunch server

I even have to kill the process after the relaunch because ProcessClose() stops working as well. I would have done this already, but it just seems like such a clunky way to do things.

have you tried to rule out your PC as the problem? Check the HD and run a memory test? this is very strange. could even be a memory issue as I have used ProcessExist forever now and it works great.

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

@Earthshine: I must admit I haven't tried that. The PC runs fine otherwise, so it didn't seem like it would be the issue. We use it for managing media, downloads, games etc and it hasn't had any issues (besides this server having to be restarted manually now and then).

@JohnOne I'm not sure that would work as it's a java based server (so java.exe) and we sometimes play Minecraft on that computer as well (so also uses java.exe) so I'm sure the script would confuse the two.

Edited by therks

1 hour ago, therks said:

My original script uses that global in a registered exit function that ensures the process has been shutdown.

You can still do it without the Global by not using the OnAutoItExit function and just calling it from inside your _Main function when the loop is exited.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

So I just added this to my actual script:

_LogWrite('RUNNING DEBUG TESTS:')
_LogWrite('ProcessGetStats(' & $I_PID & ', 0)')
Local $aProcStats = ProcessGetStats($I_PID, 0)
If @error Then
    _LogWrite('Error: ' & @error)
Else
    _LogWrite($aProcStats[0])
    _LogWrite($aProcStats[1])
EndIf

_LogWrite('ProcessGetStats(' & $I_PID & ', 1)')
Local $aProcStats = ProcessGetStats($I_PID, 1)
If @error Then
    _LogWrite('Error: ' & @error)
Else
    For $i = 0 To 5
        _LogWrite($aProcStats[$i])
    Next
EndIf

Local $aProcList = ProcessList()
_LogWrite('ProcessList(): ' & $aProcList[0][0] & ' results')
_LogWrite('  PID PE:PID PE:Name Name')
For $i = 1 to $aProcList[0][0]
    _LogWrite(StringFormat('%5d %6d %7d %s', $aProcList[$i][1], ProcessExists($aProcList[$i][1]), ProcessExists($aProcList[$i][0]), $aProcList[$i][0]))
Next

Maybe I'll get some new insights heh. Unfortunately with the sporadic nature of this bug, I probably won't be back here for a week.

Also, I'm going to try running it on another computer as well, to try and see if it's just a problem with the PC like @Earthshine suggested.

Wish me luck!

Edited by therks

Func _ProcessExixts($pid)
    $aProcessList = ProcessList("java.exe")
    For $i = 1 To $aProcessList[0][0]
        if $aProcessList[$i][1] = $pid Then
            Return True
        EndIf    
    Next
    Return False
EndFunc

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Oh yeesh, I didn't even think about doing it like that. Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try depending on how my latest tests turn out.

On a semi-related note, there's no way to attach AutoIt to a process that's already running and get the output, right? Like, in my program I'm Run()'ing the server with $STDERR_MERGED because I'm reading output. So if I have to restart my AutoIt script, I can't re-attach to the existing process and continue StdoutRead()'ing from it, right? I have to kill and restart the server? I'm assuming so, it sounds like it would be a security issue.