String search in registry

Is there a way, I can search a string eg: *vlc* in the below 2 registries?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

I don't want to look at a specific location but if the word is present anywhere in these 2 keys.

the super good help file is a good place to start. Search Registry

HINT: RegEnumKey

Someone on the forum wrote a registry udf that can also simplify searches. loop on the returned array and  you can compare using StringInStr

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

I don't really understand this post. You just posted about registry searching and should already have RegSearch.au3

So, what is the problem? You can't figure out how to use them to search for stuff in the registry after using it to do so earlier?

no worries, we both know that the code slaves will undoubtedly dote on you with ready made code if you wait long enough, just like they did in your other thread, but I will leave you with this UDF that makes searching with wildcards child's play.

RegSearch.au3

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

@Earthshine, thanks and I got it fixed here with RegEnumKey. I had the part running with RegEnumKeyVal which was giving some issues so I had posted above for some suggestions. My application is holding 48628 lines and I had already got the RegSearch.au3. Sometimes we don't see things which are in front of us and just need some good hints and not ready made codes.

Not to be rude but it sounded with your statement as if I had been posting to waste others time so they can provide ready made codes. If you would have also checked, I had posted many times for fixing my own posts and updating with the fix too.

I have always seen this forum as a great channel with good helping hands. Thank you for anyone who spreads the knowledge of showing steps in so many different ways.

Thank you again for providing your time and hint. ;)