List: items with same name

Below is a slightly modified example from the GUICtrlRead help:

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    GUICreate("My GUICtrlRead") ; will create a dialog box that when displayed is centered

Local $idList = GUICtrlCreateList("", 10, 10, 200, 300, 0x1000)
    GUICtrlSetData(-1, "dog|dog|dog|cat|dog|cat|cat|dog|cat|cat", "dog")

Local $idButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Read", 10, 350, 50)
    GUICtrlSetState(-1, $GUI_FOCUS) ; the focus is on this button

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) ; will display an empty dialog box

Local $idMsg, $iMenustate, $sMenutext
    ; Loop until the user exits.
    Do
        $idMsg = GUIGetMsg()
        If $idMsg = $idButton Then
            $selected = GUICtrlRead($idList, 0)
            $extended = GUICtrlRead($idList, 1)
            MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Selected", "Selected:" & $selected & @CRLF & "Extended:"&$extended) ; display the selected listbox entry
        EndIf
    Until $idMsg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
EndFunc   ;==>Example

If my list contains multiple occurance of the same word, in the above example: dog and cat appearing multiple times, sorted or not, how can I determine if the user selected the 1st DOG or the 3rd DOG instance? Is there a way to get from GUICtrlRead a number pertaining to the order of the selected item?

• Moderators

Burgaud,

_GUICtrlListBox_GetSel should provide the required information. But if all the items are the same why does it matter which one is selected?

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

M23,

What I am trying to do is something like this:

I got an array of NAMES. This goes into List#1

Each name corresponds to an ADDRESS that goes into LIST#2 and TRANSACTION that goes into LIST#3

Able to determine if I am referring to first DOG, or 2nd DOG is important because transactions and address matters.

OK but then how do the user(s) choose between Joe, Joe and Joe appearing in the list?
(This is just for my education)

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Then why not list enough information in the ListView to make selection unambiguous, hence easier, faster and less prone to error?

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Am I reading that post correctly? You want to dump name and address into a single line per person for all persons inside a single List?

I am not sure if that is how the phonebook works these days... must be the new norm for 2018..

Then do how you want it to work.

• Moderators

Burgaud,

I must say I agree with jchd - a ListView with some additional information to help the user make a choice would seem to be a much better way to go. And you could keep the other address and transaction data in hidden columns within the ListView, which would make the actual index chosen by the user completely moot.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Yes, that, insisting on "some additional information", not everything recorded for that person.

I again apologize for posting a remark which doesn't directly answer your initial question.

Another way to achieve such a selection in cases where the source is somehow big (e.g. a large phonebook):
Create an input box and a listview (can be initially empty)
Monitor the input and for each new character entered there, and display the plausible entries in the listview along some info (e.g. ZIP code ou city or something the user can easily check, depending on context). There are several examples in the forum for monitoring an inputbox on character basis and invoking a function every new char.
After just 3 or so chars entered, the list begins to be very restrictive and workable.

• Moderators

Burgaud,

An example of an "autocomplete" list which jchd mentioned above.

M23

Spoiler