Very Strange FileFindNextFile behavior found

Hi!

I have found a very very strange behavior with FileFindNextFile and AutoIt v. 3.3.14.5:

At first my example script (adapted from help file):

;test.au3

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    ; Assign a Local variable the search handle of all files in the current directory.
    Local $hSearch = FileFindFirstFile("C:\Some Tests\Profildaten Backup\Desktop\Yi\uskin\Skins\Default\*.*")

; Check if the search was successful, if not display a message and return False.
    If $hSearch = -1 Then
        MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "Error: No files/directories matched the search pattern.")
        Return False
    EndIf

; Assign a Local variable the empty string which will contain the files names found.
    Local $sFileName = "", $iResult = 0

While 1
        $sFileName = FileFindNextFile($hSearch)
        ; If there is no more file matching the search.
        If @error Then ExitLoop

; Display the file name.
        ConsoleWrite($sFileName&@crlf)

WEnd

; Close the search handle.
    FileClose($hSearch)
EndFunc   ;==>Example

You can see, the script should output all Files in a path. Should be simple, right?
The ConsoleWrite Output looks like this:

-.bmp
bc_new.bmp
bf_new2.bmp

So all fine!

Sooo....now i put the exact same folder on a network drive. Let it be drive S: for example (effect is the same as with \\SERVERNAME\SHARE....)
Then the output looks like this:

-.bmp
bc_new.bmp
bf_new2.bmp

Where doese "." and ".." come from?! I really have no idea what is happening here ^^
Could this be an AutoIt bug? (Or just my stupid Win10 -.-)

Thanks for your help in advance!!

PS: I attached you a .zip with the testfiles. So you have the same enviroment for testings.

Files.zip

Edited by ISI360

I just want you to know that i think it´s really my windows 10 pc what´s going crazy here... (Or has somebody testes this and has the same problems like me?)
I tested it today on my work pc (also win 10) and it is working fine here! (And other win7 machines too)

So i think it is time to finally reinstall windows new on my home computer :P

Edited by ISI360

Hi.

Working with php on a server you'll find . and .. too. I guess it's not unusual at all.

Conrad

SciTE4AutoIt = 3.7.3.0   AutoIt = 3.3.14.2   AutoItX64 = 0   OS = Win_10   Build = 19044   OSArch = X64   Language = 0407/german
H:\...\AutoIt3\SciTE     H:\...\AutoIt3      H:\...\AutoIt3\Include     (H:\ = Network Drive)

88x31.png  Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind.

@ISI360: on C drive I get the same results. When I put the files from the Zip file to my network drive with the drive letter L I get the same result but the order is different but "." or ".." chars.

Output for L drive:

bf_new2.bmp
-.bmp
bc_new.bmp

Tested on Win10 x64 and AutoIt v3.3.14.5 / 3.3.15.1.

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

• Moderators

ISI360,

I once ran into a user with what seems a very similar problem - see this post and subsequent - which appeared to be caused by the fact that the server was using a different OS and transferring the FileFindFolder return to Windows meant that we got the additional . and .. items. Could this be the case here?

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

A single dot is the current directory
a double dot is the parent directory

If you do a Dir from the command prompt you will see that these are always the first 2 listed. 
They are mostly used for specifying paths relative to the current directory.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

Thanks for the infos guys!

Yeah the strange thing is i never had this before on any system. Its the first time for me i got "." or ".." returned by FileFindNextFile.

And @Melba23 the target system (server) in this case is a Windows Server 2016...so they SHOULD be making the same...in theory ^^

But meanwhile i have accepted this as a "strange thing". And it can easily filtered by parsing the results.
Maybe its gone when i reinstall my pc.

Edited by ISI360