column count - excel udf

HI there

this is driving me nuts - i get the row count, but not the column count - what am I missing? Thanks for your help!

#include <Excel.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
; XlDirection enumeration: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff820880.aspxGlobal $oExcel = _Excel_Open()
Global $xlup = -4162
Global $xlByRows, $xlPrevious, $xlByColumns
Global $oExcel = _Excel_Open()
$bookname = "temp.xlsx"
$sWorkbook = @ScriptDir & "\" & $bookname
Global $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel, $sWorkbook, Default, Default, True)

With $oWorkbook.ActiveSheet ; process active sheet
    $oRangeLast = .UsedRange.SpecialCells($xlCellTypeLastCell) ; get a Range that contains the last used cells
    $iRowCount = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells($oRangeLast.Row, $oRangeLast.Column)).Rows.Count ; get the the row count for the range starting in row/column 1 and ending at the last used row/column
    $iColCount = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells($oRangeLast.Row, $oRangeLast.Column)).Column.Count
    MsgBox(0, "", "row:" & $iRowCount & "Col:" & $iColCount)

EndWith

for context - i want to :

* count columns used in excel

* create ini file from the rows in each column - finishing at the last column used - i.e. one column for one ini file; containing 15 rows or so.

is it better to read the entire sheet to an array via the sheettoarray function? then read it from that?

temp.xlsx

Edited by MrCheese
context added

is it "better" to read the book into an array and then either _arrayextract or _arraytostring / _arraytoclip to get data out?

or

just _excel_rangeread 

noting that I'd need to convert columns to numbers to move along.

Sorry didn't read the last part of your post, I would probably just write it to an Array and then go through the array to write to an Ini, can you explain why you want multiple ini files?  And how exactly would the Ini look?

[Row1]
ColA=...
ColB=...
Etc...

Can you explain further?

Your initial code works. You just made a small mistake -

$iColCount = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells($oRangeLast.Row, $oRangeLast.Column)).Column.Count

Should be

$iColCount = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells($oRangeLast.Row, $oRangeLast.Column)).ColumnS.Count

doh! columns!!!!

so, multiple ini files; unfortunately the ini format that i need isn't quite suitable for the IniWrite command, so I will use "filewriteline" and output as an ini.

So i create a template ini file, and modify what is required into column B, then reuse template in A, to create ini template C.

I then have a ini title in B1, C1, etc and use this to create the ini file name.

the ini filewriteline output would be from B2 -> B20; then the next ini would be C2->C20

this ini file name is then referred to when I create a shortcut.

So now, I create a shortcut which are sequential, as I will run 16 instances of the same program (multiple copies of the program); which all launch the particular ini that has been associated with that shortcut (shortcut file name also refers to ini file name).

if i don't have enough ini templates, then shortcuts will be created (up to 16) without the addition of the ini reference in the shortcut argument.

ini example:

; start strategy tester 
  TestExpert=Market\File
  TestExpertParameters=setfiles\
  TestSymbol=Fxpair
  TestPeriod=Timeframe
  TestModel=0
  TestSpread=15
  TestOptimization=False
  TestDateEnable=true 
  TestFromDate=2010.01.01 
  TestToDate=2018.04.22
  TestReport=reports\
  TestReplaceReport=false 
  TestShutdownTerminal=false

code thus far:

Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 2)

#include <Excel.au3>

HotKeySet("{F2}", "Terminate")
HotKeySet("{F3}", "TogglePause")

$terminalstart = 1

$terminaltotal = 16

$columnstart = 2 ; column of first template

$iStartrow = 2 ; row of first part of ini

$bookname = "automated_tests.xlsx"
$sWorkbook = @ScriptDir & "\" & $bookname
Global $paused, $settitle, $inititle, $oWorkbook, $iRows, $iCols

$dir1 = @ScriptDir & "\"
$file = "\program.exe"
$lnk1 = @ScriptDir & "\"
$lnk2 = ".lnk"
$args = " /portable /wait "

$inidir = @ScriptDir & "\"

excelstart()

For $i = $terminalstart To $terminaltotal

$col = $i - $terminalstart + $columnstart
    If $col <= $iCols Then
        createini()
    Else
        $settitle = ""
    EndIf
    createshortcut()

Next

;=============================
Func excelstart()
    Global $oExcel = _Excel_Open()

WinActivate($bookname)
    If WinActivate($bookname) = 0 Then
        $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel, $sWorkbook, Default, Default, True)
    Else
        $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookAttach($sWorkbook)
    EndIf

Global $aResult = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook)

$iRows = UBound($aResult, $UBOUND_ROWS) ; Total number of rows. In this example it will be 10.
    $iCols = UBound($aResult, $UBOUND_COLUMNS) ; Total number of columns. In this example it will be 20.
    $iDimension = UBound($aResult, $UBOUND_DIMENSIONS) ; The dimension of the array e.g. 1/2/3 dimensional.

EndFunc   ;==>excelstart

Func createini()

Local $aIni = _ArrayToString($aResult, @TAB, $iStartrow - 1, -1, @CRLF, $col - 1, $col - 1)
    Local $aTitle = _ArrayToString($aResult, @TAB, $iStartrow - 2, $iStartrow - 2, @CRLF, $col - 1, $col - 1)
    ;MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "aINI value: " & $aIni & " | aINI value:  " & $aTitle & " | ")
    $settitle = $aTitle
    $inititle = $aTitle & ".ini"

Local Const $sFilePath = $inidir & $inititle
    FileWrite($sFilePath, $aIni)

EndFunc   ;==>createini

Func createshortcut()
    $sFilePath = @ScriptDir & "\filename" & $i & "_" & $settitle & $lnk2
    FileCreateShortcut($dir1 & $i & $file, $sFilePath, $dir1 & $i, $args & $inidir & $inititle)
    If $col <= $iCols Then
        FileCreateShortcut($dir1 & $i & $file, $sFilePath, $dir1 & $i, $args & $inidir & $inititle)
    Else
        FileCreateShortcut($dir1 & $i & $file, $sFilePath, $dir1 & $i, $args)
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>createshortcut

Func Terminate()
    $exit = MsgBox(4, "Template Creater", "End the process?")
    If $exit = 6 Then
        Exit
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>Terminate

Func TogglePause()
    $paused = Not $paused
    While $paused
        Sleep(50)
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>TogglePause

hope that helps

oh mate - i have it working well. as per the script I included above.

it was that i had to use filewrite instead of iniwrite due to that I had the "=" and both sides of text within the one cell.

Let me know if you have any questions though.

I added this too, which populates the automated template sheet with file names and copies the template information across.

see my attached spreadsheet.

if $tempload= true Then

$aFilelist = _FileListToArray($setdir)
$iRowsF = UBound($aFilelist, $UBOUND_ROWS)

_ArrayTrim($aFilelist,4,1,1)
_ArrayDisplay($aFilelist,"file list")

_ArrayTranspose($aFilelist)
_ArrayDisplay($aFilelist,"file list transpose")
_Excel_RangeWrite ( $oWorkbook, Default, $aFilelist,"A1" )

;_Excel_BookSave($oWorkbook)

$sLetter = _Excel_ColumnToLetter($iRowsF)

_Excel_RangeCopyPaste ( $oWorkbook.ActiveSheet, "B2:B"&$iRows+1 , "C2:"&$sLetter&"2")

_Excel_BookSave($oWorkbook)

Global $aResult = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook)
    If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Excel UDF: _Excel_RangeRead Example 3", "Error reading from workbook." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)
    ;MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Excel UDF: _Excel_RangeRead Example 3", "Data successfully read." & @CRLF & "Please click 'OK' to display all formulas in column A.")
    ;_ArrayDisplay($aResult, "Excel UDF: _Excel_RangeRead Example 3 - Formulas in column A")

$iRows = UBound($aResult, $UBOUND_ROWS) ; Total number of rows. In this example it will be 10.
    $iCols = UBound($aResult, $UBOUND_COLUMNS) ; Total number of columns. In this example it will be 20.
    $iDimension = UBound($aResult, $UBOUND_DIMENSIONS) ; The dimension of the array e.g. 1/2/3 dimensional.
;Exit
EndIf

temp.xlsx

Cool, looks like you got it sorted, I was thinking more along the lines that A Column had Ini Key and you were combining that with the Values in Column C -> G.  Thought I'd post my method, comments are in the code:

Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 2)

#include <Excel.au3>

HotKeySet("{F2}", "Terminate")
HotKeySet("{F3}", "TogglePause")

Global $paused

_CreateShortcuts(16)

;=============================
Func _CreateShortcuts($_iShortcutCount = Default)
    Local $hIniFileOpen
    Local $sIniFilePath = @ScriptDir
    Local $sProgramDir = @ScriptDir
    Local $sProgramPath = $sProgramDir & "\Program.exe"
    Local $sShortcutPath = @ScriptDir & "\Filename"
    Local $sShortcutArgs = "/portable /wait"

Local $aWorkFile[1][2], $sWorkbook = @ScriptDir & "\Temp.xlsx"

Local $oExcel = _Excel_Open()
    Local $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookAttach($sWorkbook)
        If @error Then $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel, $sWorkbook, Default, Default, True)
            If @error Then Exit MsgBox(4096, "Error", "Error Reading: " & $sWorkbook)
    Local $aWorkbook = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook, Default, $oWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Usedrange)
        If @error Then Exit MsgBox(4096, "Error", "Error Reading Range for: " & $sWorkbook)
    Local $aTempbook = $aWorkbook                                               ;~ Create a TempBook Array from WorkBook Array
    Local $iShortcutCount = $_iShortcutCount = Default ? UBound($aWorkbook, 2) - 1 : $_iShortcutCount
    ;~ Loop through Columns
    For $i = 1 To $iShortcutCount
        If $i > UBound($aWorkbook, 2) - 1 Then                                  ;~ If the index is greater than the Workbook Array, Create shortcuts only.
            FileCreateShortcut($sProgramPath, $sShortcutPath & $i & "_.lnk", $sProgramDir, $sShortcutArgs)
        Else
            $sIniFileName = $sIniFilePath & "\" & $aTempbook[0][1] & ".ini"     ;~ Cell B1 = File Name
            $sIniFileData = _ArrayToString($aTempbook, "", 1, -1, @CRLF, 1, 1)  ;~ Column B to String
            $hIniFileOpen = FileOpen($sIniFileName, 2)                          ;~ FileOpen with Flag set to delete contents of file, otherwise data would be appended
                FileWrite($sIniFileName, $sIniFileData)                         ;~ Write Column B String to Ini File
            FileClose($hIniFileOpen)                                            ;~ Close FileOpen Handle
            FileCreateShortcut($sProgramPath, $sShortcutPath & $i & "_" & $aTempbook[0][1] & ".lnk", $sProgramDir, $sShortcutArgs & " " & $sIniFileName)
            _ArrayColDelete($aTempbook, 1)                                      ;~ Delete Column B from the TempBook Array
        EndIf
    Next
EndFunc   ;==>_CreateShortcuts

Func Terminate()
    $exit = MsgBox(4, "Template Creater", "End the process?")
    If $exit = 6 Then
        Exit
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>Terminate

Func TogglePause()
    $paused = Not $paused
    While $paused
        Sleep(50)
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>TogglePause