AutoIT3.exe stops with Rc 259

I'm trying to run an au3 file and it won't. AutoIT3.exe stops with rc:259

To do anything I have to go into Tools and stop executing.

I can compile the file...

What does RC:259 mean? I can't post the entire file and autoit3 gives no idea what the error is... I looked for the RC:259 and found one entry from many years ago.

Graeme

• Moderators

So you can't tell us what the script is doing, but want us to troubleshoot for you why it is not working?

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

No, I want to know what the error message means. If I run my script as it was... I get the following on my console.

>"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIT3\SciTE\..\AutoIt3.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIT3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.au3" /run /prod /ErrorStdOut /in "U:\Documents\ xxxxxxxx\QACPrep3.1.au3" /UserParams    
+>17:25:15 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.15.920.938.0 SciTE v.3.6.0.0   Keyboard:00000809  OS:WIN_81/  CPU:X64 OS:X64    Environment(Language:0809)
+>         SciTEDir => C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE   UserDir => C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper
! Your script requires Admin rights while SciTE is running at normal level.
! This means no Console output from the script will be displayed and SciTE will show the script as ended right away.
>Running AU3Check (3.3.14.2)  from:C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3  input:U:\Documents\xxxxxx\QACPrep3.1.au3
+>17:25:15 AU3Check ended.rc:0
>Running:(3.3.14.2):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\autoit3.exe "U:\Documents\xxxxx\QACPrep3.1.au3"    
--> Press Ctrl+Alt+Break to Restart or Ctrl+Break to Stop
+>17:25:18 AutoIt3.exe ended.rc:0
+>17:25:18 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.
>Exit code: 0    Time: 4.392

If I save it with another name I get a different console result ..

>"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIT3\SciTE\..\AutoIt3.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIT3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.au3" /run /prod /ErrorStdOut /in "U:\Documents\xxxxx\QuickAccess2.5.1\QACPrep3.3.au3" /UserParams    
+>17:29:19 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.15.920.938.0 SciTE v.3.6.0.0   Keyboard:00000809  OS:WIN_81/  CPU:X64 OS:X64    Environment(Language:0809)
+>         SciTEDir => C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE   UserDir => C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper
! Your script requires Admin rights while SciTE is running at normal level.
! This means no Console output from the script will be displayed and SciTE will show the script as ended right away.
>Running AU3Check (3.3.14.2)  from:C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3  input:U:\Documents\xxxxx\QACPrep3.3.au3
+>17:29:19 AU3Check ended.rc:0
>Running:(3.3.14.2):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\autoit3.exe "U:\Documents\xxxxxx\QACPrep3.3.au3"    
--> Press Ctrl+Alt+Break to Restart or Ctrl+Break to Stop
!>17:29:19 AutoIt3.exe ended.rc:259
+>17:29:19 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.

What does the result 259 mean - how can I begin figuring out why it won't run... Can you give me any ideas?

Note that in the second case there is no exit code and in fact I have to manually stop execution to get any further... to be able to run or compile anything else.:(

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

Blessings

Graeme

Looking at the source for AutoIt3Wrapper, it appears to just be the exit code for the process. It's not an error code.

I would suggest you add some debugging lines to your code to try and figure out where and why it's locking up.

Edit: It could perhaps be a bug with AutoIt3Wrapper? I notice you are not running the most recent version of AutoIt or the wrapper. Are you able to run your script with the newest version?

Edited by therks

I thought exit codes, if not 0, were error codes?

Also the line with rc 259 is in RED and preceded by an exclamation mark... Sounds like at least a warning.

I put a msgbox in the first line and it didn't run... any ideas about what kind of debugging line might help?

Blessings

Graeme

Well you can manually set an exit code to anything in a script, that's what I was thinking of, and it is the exit code returned from AutoIt.

But regardless, if not even a MsgBox on the first line is showing up then it sounds like your script is having a weird issue even starting. Have you tried running as administrator? I noticed that warning in the output saying you will not get any console output otherwise. Perhaps that will help you find the problem. Never mind, I just realized what that's talking about. Can you run your script WITHOUT admin rights so you can see console output?

Edited by therks

It also looks to me as though the rc 259 is the exit code of Autoit3.exe but that autoitwrapper is the process that is still running and I can't change that, can I? I've just noticed that when I use Cntrl Break to stop the process that is stuck I get

>Exit code: 259    Time: 34.14

So it appears that AutoIT3 is passing the error message to AutoWrapper but AutoWrapper is sending the message to console that it is finished but it doesn't stop...

Blessings

Graeme

I decided to compile and run the script. I got a message that the script couldn't be found but it was in a green border. This made me look at my AV and sure enough somehow, it had gotten auto-containment turned on and that was causing the problem.

Everything is working as normal now.

I'd still like to know how we find the meanings of the AutoIT.exe error codes....

• Developers

Funny to see how this thread took quite some turns in conclusions. :)

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

I'd still like to know how we find the meanings of the AutoIT.exe error codes....

Likely this is an returncode generated due to some process not terminating in the defined period and causing this returncode

259 (STILL_ACTIVE)

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)