How to send and read serial USB message between 2 PCs

Hi All

Well I have a Win 7 based X-Ray machine on which I am doing some automation tests using Autoit. The entire code is working properly.

I have interfaced an external Arduino board to the X-Ray machine using USB male A to USB male B cable. This communication is also working properly.

This is the code which I am using.

Func Exposure ()

Global $CMPort = 4                                   ; COM port initialisation
   Global $CmBoBaud = 9600                     ; Baud Rate Select
   Global $sportSetError = ''                       ;Port Error Handle
   Global $CmboDataBits = 8                     ; Number of bits to be sent at a time.
   Global $CmBoParity = "none"                ; disable parity
   Global $CmBoStop = 1                            ; stop bit polarity
   Global $setflow = 2

_CommSetPort($CMPort, $sportSetError, $CmBoBaud, $CmboDataBits, $CmBoParity, $CmBoStop, $setflow)
   _CommSetRTS(0)
   _CommSetDTR(0)
   _CommSendByte(1)

EndFunc

Now my problem is that, when any error situation comes on the X-Ray machine, it should pause the script, and send an email to the user stating that automation has halted.

But there is no internet on the X-Ray machine.

So I was thinking that I will connect a laptop having internet to the X-Ray machine. When script gets paused, the X-Ray machine will convey it to laptop. A separate automation code in the laptop will then send the email.

My various doubts are:

• Can I use the above function to send message to the laptop, or do I need to modify anything
  • How to read the message in laptop autoit code ? Is it similar to the sending program or any major changes are needed
  • Can I use a simple USB A male to male cable to connect X-Ray system and laptop ? Or do I need cable with a hardware bridge ? Basically I am not doing any heavy data transfer. I just have to send one simple byte and that too only if the script gets paused. (If script doesnt get paused, then no problem at all)

I will be extremely grateful for any help and suggestions.

Thanks in advance

• Moderators

@prasad123 please pay attention to where you post in the future - the Examples forum is not for questions. I have moved this topic to the appropriate forum.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!