Learning to Script with AutoIt 3

LxP

@LxP

Great work. I have actually thought of doing this myself in the past. I am glad you have picked up the torch.

@w0uter

I would love to see a DLLCall tutorial. I have stayed away from it just because I didnt feel I had an adequate knowledge of how it all worked to start learning about it. I also didnt have much time when it first came out. Also... I have pretty much decided that instead of having to do all that dllcalling I could just create my own DLL's using the plug-in architecture.

@Everyone

Would a plug-in tutorial be too far off?

Thanks,

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

@Everyone

Would a plug-in tutorial be too far off?

Thought Mixture63/Guido was writing one :lmao: ... Of course any tutorial would be wonderful JS!! I'm sure you could make it without all the yo man's and whining! Someone needs to make a tutorial on how to script and keep your marriage... Now there's a priceless tutorial!! ;)

Edit:

Fixed a Typo

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Thought Mixture63/Guido was writing one ;) ... Of course any tutorial would be wonderful JS!! I'm sure you could make it without all the yo man's and whining! Someone needs to make a tutorial on how to script and keep your marriage... Now there's a priceless tutorial!! o:)

Edit:

Fixed a Typo

LOL..

5 Steps on Marriage and Scripting...

Step 1. Get off the computer when she wants you to!

Step 2. Get off the computer when she wants you to!

Step 3. Get off the computer when she wants you to!

Step 4. Get off the computer when she wants you to!

Step 5. Get off the computer when she wants you to!

Unless she just does it all the time... then you have to figure out what to do yourself. (everyone has limits) :king:

The tutorial I saw (I think it was from Mixture63) was not very good. The Plug-in SDK was better at explaining it all than they were. IMHO I did say they even though they are one person. :lmao:

Enjoy,

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

LOL..

5 Steps on Marriage and Scripting...

Step 1. Get off the computer when she wants you to!

Step 2. Get off the computer when she wants you to!

Step 3. Get off the computer when she wants you to!

Step 4. Get off the computer when she wants you to!

Step 5. Get off the computer when she wants you to!

Unless she just does it all the time... then you have to figure out what to do yourself. (everyone has limits) ;)

The tutorial I saw (I think it was from Mixture63) was not very good. The Plug-in SDK was better at explaining it all than they were. IMHO I did say they even though they are one person. :lmao:

Enjoy,

JS

no no no, the trick to marraige and scritping is Digital Cable, with DVR. give your wife 500 channels, and the ability to watch her stuff whenever she wants, and she'll leave you alone for hours at a time.

no no no, the trick to marraige and scritping is Digital Cable, with DVR. give your wife 500 channels, and the ability to watch her stuff whenever she wants, and she'll leave you alone for hours at a time.

If she watches TV. lol

JS

AutoIt Links

External Links

B

U

M

P

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time ......T.S. Elliot
Suspense is worse than disappointment................Robert Burns
God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother

you shouldnt bump with capslock on, you need to do it subtile like this post. o:)

Ha, if he is as big as his avatar, he can bUmP anyway he wants to! :king:

Gene :lmao:;)

[font="Verdana"]Thanks for the response.Gene[/font]Yes, I know the punctuation is not right...

Ha, if he is as big as his avatar, he can bUmP anyway he wants to! :king:

Gene :lmao:;)

No I am not that big and slightly better looking IMHO o:)

God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother

Latest version: December 27, 2005

After seeing a few requests on the forums for help learning how to use AutoIt (and after receiving a few PMs too) I decided to start working on a document that tries to teach this. All feedback is highly encouraged.

.....(The previous version had 124 downloads)

LxP,

I think it is a great idea. I just read the part about accessing the help files. I think this would be a good place to encourage the use of the SciTe editor/IDE. Perhaps it deserves a chapter of its own.

Pressing F1 brings up the AutoIt help file. Highlight a word and press F1 brings up the relevant help file.

The Alt+F5 beta run makes for quick development.

Opening multiple scripts allows for easy cut and paste of stable code. etc. etc.

I just ran across this thread and...Wow, nice work, LxP! Defintely required reading for us noobs.

You might also like This topic

<{POST_SNAPBACK}> Update: February 13, 2006

• Added a section on Variables including constants and macros.
  • Small improvements to other sections and their exercises.
  • Document styling has (hopefully?) improved.
Thanks again to everyone for the feedback so far. Any suggestions that have not been incorporated into this update have not been ignored; please don't hesitate to post more.

I think this would be a good place to encourage the use of the SciTe editor/IDE. Perhaps it deserves a chapter of its own.

This is definitely something worth considering. I'm not sure yet whether to introduce the reader to SciTE immediately or to wait until the user has at least a basic understanding of AutoIt (might brand new users be intimidated or otherwise distracted by all that SciTE has to offer?), but in any case I'd like to do this at some point.

Looking good LxP!!!

I have tried to incorporate your Tutorial in my "Welcome to Autoit 1-2-3"

( i have been waiting for a while for an update from you )

however, yours is very instructional for the person whom whishes a complete understanding that may lead to other languages and holding back loading and using SciTE.

My program is more interactive automation utilizing SciTE from the begining with Click, Listen and Learn.

I believe your approach is preferable and could save most of us "helpers" many hours of frustration,

however, i note many new-comers wishing to "jump" into scripting without indepth study and hours of reading ( much like myself ), thus education by demonstration is a powerful tool also.

so keep up the good work!!! ( dont wait so long ) and if we could somehow put these two together i think that they could compliment each other Immensely!

let me know if you have any thoughts on this

Valuater

8)

NEWHeader1.png

I agree that having two different approaches can only be beneficial. You're more than welcome to incorporate my work into yours as you see fit.

I have tried to keep things concise for the shortest possible reading time without compromising learning, but if you find that any particular section could be further shortened please do let me know. (I do only want this to be a primer; not a 726-page textbook!)

• 2 weeks later...

Time to bring it to the front page again :o

• Moderators

*Bumping to the top*

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.