• TCP/IP server
  • have an user interface
  • is not a service / have no service
  • without auth / no auth
  • it's like a 'calc.exe', someone can use
  • not have a protection to multiples instances
  • writed unknow language (delphi, C)
  • have an access to data base
  • the original .exe does not have top bar (not close, minimize, restore, etc)
  • the .exe does not have a multiples instances protection like _Singleton()
  • it's a single .exe

All this in the only one .exe

I know... This .exe is very bad... beginner... homemade code...

Requirements

• this .exe must be run 24h
  • many users need use this .exe
  • I need build a way to protect this .exe, with user/pass
  • register each who/login/logout
  • detect each Windows Login and force .exe's block
  • if .exe crash, force re-open
  • it's possible open 1, 2, 3, many instances of .exe, and each .exe's instance call a data base instance... This is not required. I need to keep only one instance, the oldest. The most youngest instance must be killed.
  • many diferents peoples (userA, userB, userC) access this host by RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) with same username/password and I need kwnows try user .exe

Q. Can use diferents Windows's users? No.
R. Each new login means a new instance's .exe and a new data base's intance... this is bad.

I have tried others ways, but have no success...

If is possible open a calc.exe in one windows session and use the same calc.exe's instance by another user, maybe this is a good way.
Write a script to open this session and use this shared instance...
Maybe is possible use _WinAPI_CreateDesktop?

tscon.exe can be an alternative?

So...
I write this scripts, they not completed, but have basic functions and can protect the 'teste.exe'.

Have some bugs, and for me, CPU load is high...

Compile teste.au3 first, then run monitor.au3

@TODO LIST

• set $hGui2 always on top over $HANDLE
  • more tests with others programs/exe
  • improve log's messages

monitor.au3

teste.au3

Edited by Luigi

Visit my repository

At a basic level this is what NTFS permissions are for.

Give only the user or group you want access the Read & Execute permission, deny the rest.

Else you can run something in the background that says (example, not runnable code)

If @UserName <> "Allowed User Name" Then ProcoessClose() and FileWriteLog()

I think native functions are cleaner and better than using AutoIT has a hack to get it done.

• Developers

Your description is quite vague... what about you try again but this time be much clearer in what you exactly want to accomplish?

Jos 

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Try again. Sorry my english.

For example, I have an aplication, this is a server (the application), and need run 24h.

It's only a single one exe, with a TCP/IP server.

Does not have a user control.

Its not work with multi user, not have a Windows Service.

It's a very basic application, like a 'calc.exe'... But control functions over network.

Anyone can access the main aplication and change anything.

How protect it?

The problem is the same to try protect 'calc.exe', and allow some registered users to access it, not everyone.

Read the HELP's AutoIt, I find some funcions like '_WinAPI_SwitchDesktop'...

Is possible run this application in special 'Desktop' and allow access over script with a some authentication?

I have AD (Active Directory).

This problem for me, is the same to try protect the 'calc.exe'.

I always need run the same instance of .exe.

The .exe does not have a control of multiples instances, and any instance run a conection with data base, very bad.

I have one Windows Account for this machine, not allow multi users.

I can't logout... kill the instance, .exe not work.

Many peoples need work with this .exe, not all the same time, but in multiples times.

But I need have a control: WHO IS USING THE .exe IN THIS MOMENT.

Edited by Luigi

Visit my repository

you say:

15 minutes ago, Luigi said:

Does not have a user control.

i don't understand: does this application have UI, or not? or is the UI a different program that controls the background application?

i see why NTFS permissions are not the way to go - it cannot limit concurrent connections. if you want to have your application running only once, then use _Singleton().

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

30 minutes ago, Luigi said:

How protect it?

The problem is the same to try protect 'calc.exe', and allow some registered users to access it, not everyone.

On the contrary to above remark, I believe that standard OS access rights can solve the issue.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

33 minutes ago, orbs said:

i don't understand: does this application have UI, or not? or is the UI a different program that controls the background application?

The TCP/IP server and UI is the same .exe. There are only one .exe, and it make all.

Visit my repository

34 minutes ago, orbs said:

i see why NTFS permissions are not the way to go - it cannot limit concurrent connections

Correct. I believe, does not limit concurrent connections.

All new connection maybe is a diferent user.

35 minutes ago, orbs said:

if you want to have your application running only once, then use _Singleton()

The .exe is not AutoIt script.
This is an aplication from other developer, and have no source code.

Visit my repository

So do the users of the application access it by connecting to the server via RDP or is it terminal based like SSH?

I cant think of a way to have somebody use "calc.exe" on a remote server without connecting to the server and logging in.

I am having a hard time to determine the way you are working, it sounds like you have a single user program designed to run on a user machine and put it on a server and are trying to make it a multi user program.  You can only do so much if the program is not made for that kind of application. 

Edited by ViciousXUSMC

2 hours ago, ViciousXUSMC said:

So do the users of the application access it by connecting to the server via RDP

Yes, all conections are made by RDP.
How all users need access the same instance of .exe, all users always use the same account (user/pass).
The network have Active Directory, and any user have yours personal ID.
But, I access the SERVER, I not see the .exe's instance, need open a new .exe, of course, another instance.
The solution to access the same .exe's instance, are all diferent peoples (userA, userB, userC, etc), always use the same user( userX ).

Unfortunally, the .exe is very homemade, I don't say in english: very start program... niewbie programer... 

Not is coorporative application.

Thinking in 'calc.exe'... This single file, run everything... It is a UI, a server (TCP)... Every in one!

It's very stupid create a script to protect a program like 'calc.exe'...
Unfortunaly, I have this task: knows (save in log) who (diferents peoples) is using a (the same instance of) 'calc.exe'.

A .exe's instance, this can be shared with another user?

tscon.exe can share a instance with another user?

There are one way to run my .exe in a separated Desktop, and give access by auth, using _WinAPI_CreateDesktop ?

Visit my repository

What about an autoit application that simply moves and forces position of the window for the standalone application outside the desktop?

And unless you open autoit application and write the correct password, the other window is always unreachable.

This way, only the person with the password can make changes to the application in the UI.

The autoit code would be a simple winmove refreshing every second or checking position every second or whatever.

Edited by careca
Spoiler

Renamer - Rename files and folders, remove portions of text from the filename etc.

GPO Tool - Export/Import Group policy settings.

MirrorDir - Synchronize/Backup/Mirror Folders

BeatsPlayer - Music player.

Params Tool - Right click an exe to see it's parameters or execute them.

String Trigger - Triggers pasting text or applications or internet links on specific strings.

Inconspicuous - Hide files in plain sight, not fully encrypted.

Regedit Control - Registry browsing history, quickly jump into any saved key.

Time4Shutdown - Write the time for shutdown in minutes.

Power Profiles Tool - Set a profile as active, delete, duplicate, export and import.

Finished Task Shutdown - Shuts down pc when specified window/Wndl/process closes.

NetworkSpeedShutdown - Shuts down pc if download speed goes under "X" Kb/s.

IUIAutomation - Topic with framework and examples

Au3Record.exe

Put the EXE for example calc.exe in a Citrix desktop. You can know who is logged in in the citrix and using the app. And you can have AD logins to the citrix desktop so only registered and allowed users can use the app. Users will not be able to change anything in the citrix environment.

14 hours ago, Luigi said:

Yes, all conections are made by RDP.
How all users need access the same instance of .exe, all users always use the same account (user/pass).

so when a person connects via RDP, it is always to the same session... and obviously terminates the connection of the currently connected user.

17 hours ago, Luigi said:

I have one Windows Account for this machine, not allow multi users.

how about using that same user account your users are using, instead of that one Windows account? so the users' account is always logged-on, your app is available to that user, and any new person trying to connect will only take control of the exiting session (and obviously terminate the current connection... but you are probably already aware of that).

the challenge in this case is how to force disconnect instead of log-off when a user has finished his work; and how to re-launch your app if a user accidentally closes it. agree?

Edited by orbs

Spoiler

UDF:

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

Apps:

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

Instead of RDP use something like TeamViewer and have the server auto log in and auto launch the application.

Use group policy to disable logoff or shutdown options for that generic account.

Or see if you can use policy to notify a user of a RDP request and give them permissions to deny/accept a disconnect before somebody takes over the session.

Also wrapping the .exe in Autoit with _Singleton() should ensure only one instance gets run just incase somebody sneaks into the server outside of your security setup.

So remove any shortcuts to the .exe directly and make them open it with the autoit wrapper. 

you can also introduce a "watchdog" service - a script scheduled to run at startup under the local SYSTEM account, constantly running in the background, monitoring the active processes. it it finds that your app is running only one time, under the dedicated user account - this is OK. if your app is not running (closed by the user, or the user has logged off) - start the app under the local SYSTEM account, so even though it is not accessible to users, it is still functional. if it is running under the local SYSTEM account, and another instance is detected under the dedicated user account - let it run and close the instance running under the local SYSTEM account. this way, at all times, there is only one instance of your app running, and is accessible to users.

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps: