Windows Updates

I believe you can download the updates to disk/cd if you go to http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/d...?corporate=true

To save you from having to download all the updates you can also order the free Windows Security Update CD which includes all critical/security patches relased by February 2004 for all current versions of Windows.

To install a bunch of downloaded patches without rebooting between each one, you may need to use the proper command-line switches.... /Q or something like that. They are documented on the web.

Hope that helps a bit

Edited by CyberSlug
Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

It's written entirly in autoit...

Post Image Update

Post Image Update is a tool designed to take a freshly imaged or installed PC and apply updates and software to it, bringing it up to a set standard.

PIU performs its upgrades using checks against the PC. The checks can be registry, file, or service pack level. For file checks PIU can check for existence, file version, file size, and create date. Of these attributes PIU can test them as equal, not equal, greater than, greater than or not exists, less than, less than or not exists. The registry check has similar attributes and operators. The service pack check is simply a less/greater than check.

PIU is network aware, and if required, only install software with an active network connection. During the initial run PIU can check its local INI file against a network copy. If it finds the network INI to be of a newer date, the network INI is copied locally and used. During the course of applying updates PIU may find that the new copy references a file it does not have locally due to the updated INI. In this case the files are automatically run from the server.

Reboots are common during upgrades, and as such PIU can enable the autoadminlogon feature of Windows 2000 and Windows XP. At the startup of PIU it prompts the operator for the password of the currently logged in user. If the operator enters the password PIU encrypts and stores it in the local copy of the INI file, referencing it during each reboot to allow uninterrupted operation.

Edited by bcording

• 4 weeks later...

This seems promising, so I will download it, but it doesn't work on 9x, Me. If you made a script to do all updates for all Windows systems that would be cool although it would take up a lot of your time but in the end, it will most likely help tons of people. Do you have plans to do this? I will have to continue working on my "update script" because at my school i do updates on 9x, Me computers and it gets old after awhile.

Edited by computerguy_86

My Programs:Dissolve (Updated 5-30-06)Credit Card Validator (Not created as of yet)Master Lock Combination Cracker (Updated 7-08-07)Go Site-Seeing:My Website: - Click Here

@bcording

NICE! :D I've been working on a much similar program use AutoIt. Mine does computer name changes and bios updates and software installs, based on what the new installation gets. I'm still in the testing phase, I've been having some difficulties with error handling when installing apps.

Edited by Triton
Triton

I would have to say that this is an amazing utility.

Is there any chance you would be willing to post the uncompiled script??? :D

Or, How would I set this to look at a CD-ROM drive? I am assuming I would have to do the DriveGetDrive("CDROM") but that apparently can't be put into the INI?

[Just figured it out. put nothing for the path and have the files on the CD.]

Edited by MikeOsdx

• 3 months later...

I've been using this since back Marchi/April/May timeframe. We had it working great for some of our students machines who were infected to easily get them up to date with the latest patches.

I just tried out the CD again and for some reason it is no logner working on machines. We're getting a message when running PIU of:

External exception EEFFACE.

Attached is the image of the error message. The directory on c:\piu does not get created. I've tried with my original PIU.ini file as well as a newer version listed above. Any ideas what may be causing this? Any quick simple fixes? I imagine one of the newer MS patches might have done something....as this is the same exact CD we used back in April.

--greg

Posted Image

I figured it out...If you set the system clock back to 2003 it seems to work fine....strange! --greg

I've been using this since back Marchi/April/May timeframe.  We had it working great for some of our students machines who were infected to easily get them up to date with the latest patches. 

I just tried out the CD again and for some reason it is no logner working on machines.  We're getting a message when running PIU of:

External exception EEFFACE.

Attached is the image of the error message.  The directory on c:\piu does not get created.  I've tried with my original PIU.ini file as well as a newer version listed above.  Any ideas what may be causing this?  Any quick simple fixes?  I imagine one of the newer MS patches might have done something....as this is the same exact CD we used back in April. 

--greg