Changing the Win10 Login Screen

We're working on moving to Windows 10 Pro, unfortunately, as a lot of the new chips don't support Win7 drivers. Part of my internal script for PC deployment automatically set the logon screen in Windows 7 to a customized agency picture. The old script modified the registry and the oobe folder.

However, with the Win10 infrastructure being very different, apparently a binary file needs to be edited in order to change the login (not LOCK) screen. The file is:  C:\Windows\SystemResources\Windows.UI.Logon\Windows.UI.Logon.pri

For this particular screen the group policy settings don't work either. Has anyone figured out a way to set this screen via script?

Edited by ct253704
Typo

in powershell, try this

$path = "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization" 
$img =  "C:\Path\To\Image.jpg"

Set-ItemProperty -Path $path -Name LockScreenImage -value $img

delete key to revert to default

at the very least, it could be used to run on a vm so you could compare changes to after the command above runs to determine what else you may need to do regarding the registry and whatnot.

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

19 hours ago, Earthshine said:

in powershell, try this

$path = "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization" 
$img =  "C:\Path\To\Image.jpg"

Set-ItemProperty -Path $path -Name LockScreenImage -value $img

delete key to revert to default

at the very least, it could be used to run on a vm so you could compare changes to after the command above runs to determine what else you may need to do regarding the registry and whatnot.

Thanks Earthshine, i'll see if I can't test it today. However, from the looks of it that may only change the lock screen and not the login screen. I'll let you know.

old dog, new tricks... lol

anyway, to the OP, he's right because this will only affect the lock screen. You need to edit that PRI file with some utility to do it currently. there is no Reg Hack at the moment

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

7 hours ago, Earthshine said:

old dog, new tricks... lol

anyway, to the OP, he's right because this will only affect the lock screen. You need to edit that PRI file with some utility to do it currently. there is no Reg Hack at the moment

Haha. Thanks for checking guys, back to the drawing board! If I figure this out i'll post it back here. Stupid Windows 10..