double arraysort

Hi,

Recently I have had the need to do a sort and then do a second sort while the item of the first sort stays the same ( double sorting , first on column x then while column x is the same sort column y).

I did not put much efffort into error checking but so far I did not need it.

For my applications so far it works perfectly however if someone is willing I want to test this extensivly.

If anyone has big lists of random stuff to sort could you try this out please?

#include <Array.au3>

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name ..........: _ArraySort_Double 
; Description ...: 
; Syntax ........: _ArraySort_Double (Byref $array[, $first_index = Default[, $second_index = Default[, $ascending = Default]]])
; Parameters ....: $array               - 2d array to sort.
;                  $first_index         - [optional] first column to sort. Default is 0.
;                  $second_index        - [optional] second column to sort. Default is 1.
;                  $ascending           - [optional] ascending/descending. Default is 1.
; Return values .: 1 if no errors occured , -1 if errors occured
; Author ........: Ternal
; Remarks .......:  Needs excessive testing.
; Related .......: _arraysort()
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _ArraySort_Double (byref $array, $first_index = Default, $second_index = Default, $ascending = Default)
    Local $temp_value
    Local $counter = 1
    If UBound($array, $UBOUND_DIMENSIONS) <> 2 Then 
        MsgBox(0, "error", "error")
        return -1
    EndIf
    If $first_index = Default Then $first_index = 0
    If $second_index = Default Then $second_index = 1
    If $ascending = Default Then $ascending = 1
    _ArraySort($array, $ascending, 0, 0, $first_index); you can alter settings of primary sort here
    If @error Then 
        MsgBox(0, "error", @error)
        return -1
    EndIf
    $temp_value = $array[0][$first_index]
    For $x = 1 to UBound($array, 1) - 1
        If Mod( $x, 10000) = 0 Then ConsoleWrite("at " & $x & " of a total : " &  UBound($array, 1) & @CRLF)
        If $array[$x][$first_index] = $temp_value Then
            $counter+= 1
            If $x = UBound($array, 1) - 1 Then; do last line here(if last line is not a new item)
                _ArraySort($array, $ascending, $x - $counter, $x, $second_index);you can alter settings of secondary sort here(don't forget to place line 34 the exact same)
                If @error Then 
                    return -1
                EndIf
            EndIf
        Else
            If $counter > 0 Then ;at least 2  of the same
                _ArraySort($array, $ascending, $x - $counter, $x - 1, $second_index);you can alter settings of secondary sort here(don't forget to place line 29 the exact same)
                If @error Then 
                    return -1
                EndIf
                $counter = 1
            EndIf
        EndIf
        $temp_value =  $array[$x][$first_index]
    Next
    Return 1
EndFunc

Kind regards, Ternal

Edited by ternal

What you call "double sort" is in fact a sort based on collation invoking a compound comparison (several nested criterions).

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

• Moderators

ternal,

You might find this thread of interest:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Hi Ternal,
For the record, I tested your function on... 10 rows. It worked fine, just a couple of things :

* All the sort went descending instead of ascending, probably due to the line :
If $ascending = Default Then $ascending = 1
But 1 means descending in _ArraySort(), not ascending. Anyway, no big deal.

* If $counter > 0 Then ;at least 2  of the same
  EndIf
Why this condition when $counter is always > 0 anywhere in the script ?
So I kept what was inside the If... EndIf, deleting these 2 If... Endif lines. Here  we go :

#include <Array.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Global $aArray[10][2] = _
  [[3, 33] , _
   [4, 43] , _
   [4, 41] , _
   [1, 11] , _
   [3, 31] , _
   [2, 22] , _
   [4, 44] , _
   [3, 32] , _
   [4, 42] , _
   [2, 21]]

_ArrayDisplay($aArray, "Before Sort")
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Result", _ArraySort_Double($aArray))

Here are the results, after adding a couple of _ArrayDisplay in your function :

5b6eb9ff4cce5_doublearraysort.jpg.7fb35a8ba54132cf39c4539d0de14ce3.jpg

The "Finished" _ArrayDisplay shows how your double sorting script worked fine, bravo.
Hope you'll find a tester with an Array of thousand of lines, as your line If Mod( $x, 10000) is waiting to be executed.

Good luck :)

Edited by pixelsearch

@pixelsearch  the counter DOES go up.. $counter += 1

I have tested this on arrays of 50k rows .. the mod function works fine. 

$counter should be resetted to 0 I will look into this more

@melba I will look into your script later today. It seems so much more proffesional :)

I added a .rar file with a 10k+ csv file.

Something I forgot to mention this is specifically meant to run on big lists only (50K to 150k)

I am scared I did not manage the secondary sort properly but this can place 1 line completly out of place and searching through the entire array is my issue xD

However guys I will look into melba's script first

user.rar

Edited by ternal

@junkew

Concatenating columns doesn't work in the general case, even with text-only type. It's even worse when any column is numerical type.
For instance consider these few rows, to be sorted on Col1 ascending then Col2 ascending:

Col1    Col2    Col1&Col2   Rank (Col1&Col2)    Rank (expected)
===============================================================
abcx    def     abcxdef         1                   4
abc     yz      abcyz           2                   3
a       c       ac              4                   1
ab      z       abz             3                   2

Concatenation only works with fixed-size text columns, i.e. a very small subset of real-world cases.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)