Chrome - translate this page

I use Chrome's 'Translate this page' functionality quite a lot at work. My workflow is usually translating the page to english so I know what it is about, finding correct lines, translating it back to the original language so I can grab the correct XPath (since translating it, updates the structure and most importantly the text displayed, obviously), and rinse and repeat.

Since I do it all the time, each unnecessary click in the end amounts to quite some time I would rather be spending actually working. You have to click the translate button, it asks whether you want to translate the page, you have to click yes. Then sometimes the little window is in the way so you click it off but when you need to translate back to the original language you have to click the little icon again.

How would one go about automating it?

Checked the forum and it seems that the old Chrome UDF doesn't work and the best way for interacting with Chrome is the WebDriver UDF which, from what I've read and tested a bit, creates a new, different instance of Chrome.

I tried using the good old MouseClick but I don't find it reliable. Also ControlClick seems to be out of the picture since the whole Chrome window is "one single control".

Any ideas are appreciated.

Edited by Seminko

• Moderators

When you put in the URL for the site, can you not just do the translation right then and there?

Ex: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&sl=auto&tl=destination_language&u=https://www.telemundo.com/

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

I'm trying to avoid translate.google.com. When you switch between the original and the translation using translate.google.com the whole page needs to reload, which usually ends up taking more time than me clicking the chrome translate button.