Identifying text on a transparent background

liquid x

I'm a newbie to autoit, I've previously been using QM2 but finding it lacking in features essential to game macroing..

AutoIt seems alot better, and I'd like to get into it instead.

I'm curious if something like this would be possible:

A game I'm playing has a window which is slightly transparent, omni-present on screen. It displays a list of things nearby the player.

What I'd like to do is be able to scan that list for specific pre-defined entries, and perform an action if they are found.

All the text is the same color, same font.. but the background is tinted grey and I cannot make it solid.

I can actually make the rest of the UI solid instead of transparent, but it won't let me make that window solid.. I'm guessing to make it harder for macroers.

If I didn't explain that well enough let me know.. I'm not sure how to explain it better.

Edited by liquid x

• Moderators

Try using the AutoInfo Tool that comes with AuotIt, and see if the text you are wanting is readable, if so you can use options like ControlGetText().

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Try using the AutoInfo Tool that comes with AuotIt, and see if the text you are wanting is readable, if so you can use options like ControlGetText().

Unfortunately it's not, it seems like the game uses entirely it's own control system. I had this same prob using QM2..

I've been able to do quite a few things just by searching for pixels or checking the color of a pixel at a certain location.. but I don't know how I could make that work with this list box.

• Moderators

You may need to make your own OCR with pixelchecksum(), or maybe you'd be able to just use pixelchecksum if the words are always the same.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

You may need to make your own OCR with pixelchecksum(), or maybe you'd be able to just use pixelchecksum if the words are always the same.

The text (that I'm searching for) is always the same.. same font, size, color, text..

But the problem with using something like pixelchecksum is that as I said the background behind the text is transparent.. so two checksums won't match even with the same text, as the game scenery behind the text changes =(

It it not 100% transparent, it is about 60% opaque.

Edited by liquid x