Nasty bug in AutoIt comparison operation - (Moved)

Hi,

I have a script with external .INI config file.

I wanted to make simple validation of setting in config file.

This is a basic thing every autoit scripter would want to do every day.

If Config.ini has:

[Settings]

AUTORUN=1

or:

[Settings]

AUTORUN=0

Then comparison operator '<>' correctly treats $AUTORUN variable and AURORUN setting from config file - as different and executes correctly.

BUT when I specify non-numeric value for AUTORUN in Config.ini, for example: AUTORUN=A0, then for NO REASON AutoIt's '<>' comparison operator treats "A0" as equal to '0', which is a strange and unexpected behavior.

WTF is this?

How can it be made so an ELEMENTARY Thing - doesn't work as it makes sense for any reasonable man ?

Here is a simple sample of code:

Global $AUTORUN = 0

$config  = "Config.ini"
Local $aSettings = IniReadSection($config, "Settings")
If Not @error Then
    For $i = 1 To $aSettings[0][0]
        $SettingKey   = $aSettings[$i][0]
        $SettingValue = $aSettings[$i][1]
        Switch $SettingKey
            Case "AUTORUN"
                If($AUTORUN <> $SettingValue) Then
                    ; ! If I specify in config file: AUTORUN=A0, then it never gets here !
                    ; For no reason it treats "A0" as equal to 0, which is - A COMPLETELY UNEXPECTED BEHAVIOR OF AUTOIT !
                    ; How can one rely on such elementary functionality as COMPARISON OPERATORS '==', '<>' if this is NOT BEHAVING AS IT SUPPOSED TO ?!

ConsoleWrite("Setting Change: Option 'AUTORUN', previous value: '" & $AUTORUN & "', new value: '" & $SettingValue & "'.")
                    $AUTORUN = $SettingValue
                EndIf
            Case Else
                ConsoleWrite("Error: Invalid option '" & $SettingKey & "' in config file '" & $config & "'.")
                Exit 1
        EndSwitch
    Next
EndIf

• Developers

Moved to the appropriate forum, as the Developer General Discussion forum very clearly states:

General development and scripting discussions. If it's super geeky and you don't know where to put it - it's probably here.

Do not create AutoIt-related topics here, use the AutoIt General Help and Support or AutoIt Technical Discussion forums.

Moderation Team

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Developers
3 minutes ago, VAKU123 said:

BUT when I specify non-numeric value for AUTORUN in Config.ini, for example: AUTORUN=A0, then for NO REASON AutoIt's '<>' comparison operator treats "A0" as equal to '0', which is a strange and unexpected behavior.

WTF is this?

How can it be made so an ELEMENTARY Thing - doesn't work as it makes sense for any reasonable man ?

Maybe it means you are assuming things?
If you would have taken the time to read some of the basics in the helpfile you would understand why this is happening.
In this case you can find the details in the Helpfile/Language Reference - Operators:

Comparing different datatypes

Care is needed if comparing mixed datatypes, as unless the case-sensitive (==) string operator is used, mixed comparisons are usually made numerically. Most strings will be evaluated as 0 and so the result may well not be the one expected. It is recommended to force the items being compared into the same datatype using Number()/String() before the comparison.

So...No Bug.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)