_IECreate Workaround

Mr_Clean

I would like to know if there's a way to use _IE commands without starting the code with _IECreate. Reason being the window is already open, and I can't reopen it using _IECreate. 

Here is a snippet of what I'm working with: 

#include <IE.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

;$brow = _IECreate('https://www.internetactivation.com/ECOSYSTEM/ActivationServer/tiactivate/default.aspx')
$dd = WinActivate('Activate - Internet Explorer')
$sHTML = _IEDocReadHTML($dd)
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, 'Document Source', $sHTML)

Just now, Mr_Clean said:

I'm unaware of how _IEAttach works. How would I implement that into my code? 

Either by reading the help file or by the same way that you implemented your snippet.

MrClean, it's obvious you're not reading the help file.

_IECreate also has the ability to attach to an already open window, so you can use either _IEAttach if IE is already at the page you want to be on, or _IECreate with the attach parameter.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I have in fact read the help file, but clearly something is going over my head about how these functions operate, I'm fairly new to AutoIT.  Within the IEAttach I've tried using both the name of the web page and the URL but neither worked. Here is the code attempting to use the name of the page.   

$dd =_IEAttach('Activate - Internet Explorer')
$sHTML = _IEDocReadHTML($dd)
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, 'Document Source', $sHTML)

I have opened an Internet Explorer window to 'https://www.internetactivation.com/ECOSYSTEM/ActivationServer/tiactivate/default.aspx' and using the code below I had no problem getting the page source.

#include <IE.au3>

Local $oIE = _IEAttach("Activate")
Local $sHTML = _IEDocReadHTML($oIE)
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Document Source", $sHTML)

_IEQuit($oIE)

I just slightly changed the example script in the help file for _IEDocReadHTML to use IEAttach instead of the example page. 

I then did the same code, but used _IECreate with the attach option set to 1, same scenario, page already open in IE.

#include <IE.au3>

Local $oIE = _IECreate('https://www.internetactivation.com/ECOSYSTEM/ActivationServer/tiactivate/default.aspx', 1)
Local $sHTML = _IEDocReadHTML($oIE)
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Document Source", $sHTML)

_IEQuit($oIE)

Worked fine for me as well. I did have to shorten the title, to look for in the IE window, as it wouldn't find it with the title showing in the Au3Info tool.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator