Installation When User Is Logged Off

Guest LarsL

Guest LarsL

This is my first post on your forum, so I'd first like to congratulate Jon and the team with this invaluable tool. :D

Now to the question:

I've searched for the answer in vain in the documentation and on this forum. It is entirely possible the answer is in plain sight, and I've overlooked it. If so: My apologies.

We need to install software unattended on several client PC's. Unfortunately we have no control over the state of the client PC's other than turning them on or off.

We seem to be unable to use AutoIt to install UNLESS the user is logged on. The winwait-commands wait forever.

Is this a feature of AutoIt? That can be overcome? How?

Or am I/are we missing some elementary ingredient?

Hope you can help.

Best regards

Lars.

In unatended installations, I try to use controlsend, controlclick, and things like this. If you use control functions, you don't need to have the windows open, and you can even do many installs remotely and in the backround (proper access required.)

In the scripts and scraps we have some wonderful helper applications to do this with.

One I use a lot is pstools from sysinternals.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pstools.shtml

it is commandline driven and easily used with autoit. (you can even have it compiled inside autoit.)

AutoIt3, the MACGYVER Pocket Knife for computers.

Guest LarsL

Please forgive me, if the following may sound stupid, but I completely fail to see why or how sending control sequences will overcome the wall I'm banging my head against :D :

The script waits forever on the winwait when a user is logged off.

Ideas anyone?

Is winwait the inappropriate command here?

scriptkitty:

The PStools are indeed a work of genious. Have been using them for some years now :huh2:

Edited by LarsL

If you check the help file on WinWait, you'll notice there is an option for timeout. You can set this timeout to a specific time and have the script do something else (i.e. exit) if the timeout period is reached.

Guest LarsL

Examples of applications to install:

Uniprint client 3.30b (XP/2000/NT)

Uniprint client 3.02 (on Windows 9x/ME)

Citrix Agent 7.0

It seems to me, this topic really should have been posted with another head line.

If I don't hear loud objections, I'll repost the problem with a more direct head line:

Script waits forever on the winwait when the user is logged off