Windows autorun

Hello.

I tried to find several days answer in google and different forums but no luck. Maybe experts here can explain me how it works.

It is not a secret that a lot of people use autoit to make reinstallation of software faster by avoiding press "next", "yes" and other buttons during installation procedure. It really work great but what I noticed -  If I put any files which have path to type in autorun (of windows). It will spoil the path in terms of "shift" button.

For example:

Run("notepad.exe")
WinWaitActive("Untitled - Notepad")
Send("^o")
WinWait ("Open", "Cancel")
ControlSend("Open","","","C:\Program Files (x86)\Test.txt",1)

If i start normally. It ll be correct.  - C:\Program Files (x86)\Test.txt. If I put it in autorun and restart my win 7 (32 or 64). It ll be something like - C;|Program Files 9X86)|Test.txt

Please advice what is the solution.

Thanks in advance

What kind of autorun are you talking about :

- autorun when CD-ROM is inserted ?

- autorun in registry ?

- autorun in Start Menu ?

- autorun as a service ?

- autorun in task scheduler ?

Edited by Nine

Here is the code I used : 

Run("notepad.exe")
WinWaitActive("[Class:Notepad]")
Send("^o")
$hWnd = WinWait ("Ouvrir", "", 10)
Sleep (500)
ControlSend($hWnd,"","","C:\Program Files (x86)\Test.txt",1)

I changed it a bit your code since I am using a french environment.  I had a bit of problem without the sleep (500) but it might be just a coincidence.

So it works fine when I launch it manually and it works fine on auto startup.

I compiled it x86, and copied the .exe into the startup folder.

What version of autoit are you running ?

Autorun is usually referred to devices (USB, CD/DVD drives...) on insertion. Autostart is for programs that run on Windows boot.

There are three ways you can autostart a program:

• You can create a shortcut of the program inside of the startup folder. You can get the path for all users startup folder with the @StartupCommonDir macro. Or the one for the current user with @StartupDir.
  • You can create a scheduled task with the schtasks.exe command and the ONSTART / ONLOGON parameters.
  • You can add the program's path -create a new string value- to the registry keys related to Run / RunOnce.

@FMManager  I just realized that the wrong characters in the send are shift characters.  Exactly what I had as a problem.  Looks like some other startup apps are interfering with autoit.  You may want to add some sleeps in your code to delay the send...Or you could try using a simple Send (...) command instead.

• 2 weeks later...

" Unfortunately it does not work for other PCs. "

Are these other PCs on a domain? If so, are they Windows 10? And if so, do the individual users have admin rights? Where I work, admin rights are restricted to a very few which renders a lot of scripts I wrote in the past unusable. One example of such a script would be to add a local printer - one needs admin rights to do that. In the case of your autostart issues, one needs admin rights to write to @StartupCommonDir, but admin rights are not needed to write to @StartupDir. In addition, admin rights are required to add or change data in the "C:\Program Files", "C:\Program Files (x86)" and "C:\Program Data" folders.

Who lied and told you life would EVER be fair?