Advice for Getting Started with Android Development

wisem2540

I am a huge autoit fan and have written several graphical apps.  I would love to get started building simple and complex android apps.  I am hoping someone here can recommend a good platform to get started with.  Preferably something that had an Autoit-like feel

There’s no app development that’s similar to auto IT for phones in anything you choose is going to have cost.  Maybe android studio is free from Google but then you’re limited to developing for only android and not iOS and not PC 

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

• Moderators

To get your feet wet with Android automation I would suggest Tasker. It's free, and easy to learn, but capable of a lot.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

@wisem2540

Basic4Android (B4A) might be worth taking a look into.  It's sort of like the old VB6 development environment, but for Android.  It has a feature-rich, WYSIWYG development environment and a very active community.  The language is very similar to AutoIt in many respects.  That means you can spend more time learning the specifics of Android programming and less time learning the language and the development environment.  It used to be free but I think they charge a nominal fee now.

They also have B4I (IOS), B4J (Desktop), and B4R (Arduino) if you choose to expand onto other platforms.

Edited by TheXman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I would like to use Tasker on macOS. I can use AutoIT is mac, but there is no way for Tasker. Or if there are any other options to start developing Andriod apps in macOS?

I would also love to hear on a good AV solutions for mac from developers as mac malware is growing https://9to5mac.com/2020/02/12/mac-malware-is-growing-but/

Here is update on mac malware developments in 2021 https://macsecurity.net/view/214-remove-virus-from-macbook-pro