Curious about certain tags/id's not being in the source? - (Moved)

This may be a very basic question, but I am curious as to why some tags or id's can not be found? Sometimes I am tasked with writing a basic auto-it script to login into a website and lately it seems I am having trouble finding tags/id's to grab so my script can reference. Any reason or explanation would greatly appreciated. Also any links that you can provide would be stellar!  

• Developers

Moved to the appropriate forum, as the Developer General Discussion forum very clearly states:

General development and scripting discussions. If it's super geeky and you don't know where to put it - it's probably here.

Do not create AutoIt-related topics here, use the AutoIt General Help and Support or AutoIt Technical Discussion forums.

Moderation Team

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Ok, let me see if I can try to explain this better. On most sites it very simple to grab an element id and use that for your auto-it script, so you automate logging in. However, I ran into certain web-pages for instance a Cisco web login recently and for the life of me I could not find an element id. Which made automating a bit more tricky. I am just curious as to why I could not find an element id for a login page?

Thanks for moving this to the right channel!

Edited by Rigit

@Rigit Check the form elements using IE's developer toolbox. You can also run this JavaScript in the console to list all elements with IDs:

document.querySelectorAll('[id]')

If you still could not find the IDs of the required elements then you may have to do some tricky coding and potentially utilize JavaScript for the task...

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

@Rigit This article shows how to open the dev toolbox: https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/3-ways-to-open-developer-tools-in-ie-on-windows-10.html

3 ways to open Developer Tools in IE on Windows 10:

Way 1: Open them by keyboard shortcut.

When the Internet Explorer is launched, press F12 on the keyboard.

Way 2: Open Developer Tools via the Tools icon.

In IE, click the top-right Tools icon, and choose F12 Developer Tools in the list.

tap-tools-icon-and-hit-f12-developer-tools.png

Way 3: Open them in the Tools menu.

Select Tools on the menu bar in IE, and then tap F12 Developer Tools in the options.

open-tools-and-tap-f12-developer-tools.png

After opening the toolbox, switch to the "Console" tab and you will see that it has an input area for JavaScript code. You can try pasting my code snippet there and press enter, it should output a list of elements which you can interactively browse and select :)

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

Some websites hide elements in a <div> class or ID... referenced only by CSS. 
So you would need to view the CSS in order to see what is actually happening.
In other cases, the jQuery or JavaScript is responsible for handling certain elements. 

Kind Regards
Skeletor

"Coffee: my defense against going postal."

Microsoft Office Splash Screen | Basic Notepad Program (Beginner) | Transparent Splash Screen | Full Screen UI