How to drag and drop link from browser?

mike2003

I want to transfer (drag-and-drop) the link from the browser to AutoIt.
I can do this in a regular text editor. But it does not work with my window.
"WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES" does not work. The image file name is inserted under the link in the temporary files.

1QKHfl9.jpg

Sort of.

I want to transfer (drag-and-drop) the link from the browser to AutoIt.

Yes, you can use a rich edit control. They accept links by default. There's even a feature for highlighting links (_GUICtrlRichEdit_AutoDetectURL). The gui does not have to be set up with "accept files".

You can also use a basic input control. But there's more to it than just setting the gui to have WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES. The control has to have a state of $GUI_DROPACCEPTED.

Check the help file example for input controls.

Regarding Rover's method, it was fashioned to allow a rich edit to accept a dropped file path (not url). I was never able to get it working in the context of my own scripts.

@qwert   subz is right. And I don't think you can make it work with a basic input control.  Well I could but cursor will not respond correctly. I would love to see a working example of your assumption...

11 hours ago, mike2003 said:

I tried that code, but it doesn’t do that. It does not work with other programs at all.

I tried it and made it work easily.  Follow each step carefully, use the example provided.  It is working...

He is referring to my post above, with regards to Rovers code,  here is a complete step by step version:
nb: I'm going to use C:\AutoItScript directory  as an example just change it to where ever you wish to save your script

a. Copy "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\Include\RichEdit.au3" to "C:\AutoItScripts\RichEdit.au3"
b: Rename: "C:\AutoItScripts\RichEdit.au3" to "C:\AutoItScripts\RichEditEx.au3"
b. Open "C:\AutoItScripts\RichEditEx.au3" in Scite
c. At line 25 add the following variables:

Global Const $DROPEFFECT_COPY = 1
Global Const $DROPEFFECT_MOVE = 2
Global Const $MK_ALT = 0x20
Global Const $MK_CONTROL = 0x8
Global $iMode, $hDragSource, $_GRE_sRTFClassName

d. Replace the following function
nb: On my version of RichEditEx.au3 it starts at line 3707

; #INTERNAL_USE_ONLY# ===========================================================================================================
; Name...........: __RichCom_Object_GetDragDropEffect
; Description ...:
; Syntax.........: __RichCom_Object_GetDragDropEffect ( $pObject, $bDrag, $iGrfKeyState, $piEffect )
; Parameters ....:
; Return values .:
; Author ........:
; Modified.......:
; Remarks .......:
; Related .......:
; Link ..........:
; Example .......:
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func __RichCom_Object_GetDragDropEffect($pObject, $bDrag, $iGrfKeyState, $piEffect)
    #forceref $pObject, $bDrag, $iGrfKeyState, $piEffect
    Return $_GCR_E_NOTIMPL
EndFunc   ;==>__RichCom_Object_GetDragDropEffect

With

; #INTERNAL_USE_ONLY# ===========================================================================================================
; Name...........: __RichCom_Object_GetDragDropEffect
; Description ...:
; Syntax.........: __RichCom_Object_GetDragDropEffect($pObject, $fDrag, $grfKeyState, $pdwEffect)
; Parameters ....:
; Return values .:
; Author ........:
; Modified.......: rover 2k12
; Remarks .......: Patch to demonstrate issue with RichEdit defaulting to DROPEFFECT_COPY+DROPEFFECT_MOVE for drag and drop events between source/destination ($pdwEffect value = 3)
; ...............: Drop Effect should change depending on source/destination. Key modifiers should work the same way as Wordpads RichEdit (MS WordPad would be a RichEdit standard I assume?)
; Related .......:
; Link ..........:
; Example .......:
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func __RichCom_Object_GetDragDropEffect($pObject, $fDrag, $grfKeyState, $pdwEffect)
#forceref $pObject, $fDrag, $grfKeyState, $pdwEffect
If $fDrag Then ;only sent once at start of drag within same edit or between edits in script process
  ;TRUE if the query is for a IDropTarget::DragEnter or IDropTarget::DragOver. FALSE if the query is for IDropTarget::Drop.
  $hDragSource = _WinAPI_GetFocus() ;get drag source handle (only used for comparing to another AutoIt Richedit control)
  Return $_GCR_E_NOTIMPL
EndIf
If $grfKeyState = ($MK_CONTROL + $MK_ALT) Then $grfKeyState = 0 ; A Ctrl/Alt key combination does a drag copy between windows, so might as well allow for it.
Switch $grfKeyState ;= 0 or key modifier only when mouse released, now we set the drop effect
  Case 0, $MK_CONTROL, $MK_ALT
   ;_WinAPI_GetFocus() not working here, always returns source handle of 1st richedit when over 2nd richedit in same gui
   Local $tDROPEFFECT = DllStructCreate("dword", Ptr($pdwEffect))
   Local $tPoint = DllStructCreate($tagPOINT)
   Local $iOpt = Opt("MouseCoordMode", 1)
   DllStructSetData($tPoint, "x", MouseGetPos(0))
   DllStructSetData($tPoint, "y", MouseGetPos(1))
   Opt("MouseCoordMode", $iOpt)
   Local $hWnd = _WinAPI_WindowFromPoint($tPoint)
   $iMode = $DROPEFFECT_COPY ;default: $MK_LBUTTON Or $MK_RBUTTON - DD between source/destination
   If $grfKeyState = $MK_ALT Then $iMode = $DROPEFFECT_MOVE ;DD between source/destination
   If $hDragSource = $hWnd And (IsHWnd($hDragSource) + IsHWnd($hWnd)) <> 0 Then $iMode = $DROPEFFECT_COPY + $DROPEFFECT_MOVE ;DD within same edit (No key, $MK_ALT or $MK_CONTROL modifier keys)
   DllStructSetData($tDROPEFFECT, 1, $iMode)
   $hDragSource = 0 ;reset source handle (not set for a drag from an external process ($fDrag = False ))
EndSwitch
Return $_GCR_E_NOTIMPL
EndFunc   ;==>__RichCom_Object_GetDragDropEffect

e. Save "C:\AutoItScripts\RichEditEx.au3"
f. Create a new script: "C:\AutoItScripts\RichEdit_DragDrop_Example.au3"
g. Paste the following and run, you should now be able to drag and drop urls from browser into either of the RIchEdit text boxes:

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include "GuiRichEditEx.au3"
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#Include <GuiScrollBars.au3>
#include <ScrollBarConstants.au3>
#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <Misc.au3>

Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)
Opt('MustDeclareVars', 1)

Global $g_iDLLUser32 = DllOpen("User32.dll"), $g_idRich1, $g_idRich2

_DualRichEdit()

Func _DualRichEdit()
    Local $hForm = GUICreate("", 600, 300, -1, -1,-1 ,BitOR($WS_EX_WINDOWEDGE, $WS_EX_TOPMOST))
        GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "Terminate")
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("First Rich Text Field", 10, 10)
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("Second Rich Text Field", 304, 10)
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("Enter text into the first field ... then highlight it and drag/drop it into the second field.", 10, 250, 580, -1)
        GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 11, 400, -1, "Arial")
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("I need the dropped text to remain in the first field ... and preferably remain highlighted.", 10, 270, 580, -1)
        GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 10, 800, -1, "Arial")
    $g_idRich1 = _GUICtrlRichEdit_Create($hForm, "", 15, 30, 280, 215, BitOR($ES_WANTRETURN, $ES_MULTILINE, $WS_VSCROLL))
        _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetEventMask($g_idRich1, $ENM_DRAGDROPDONE)
        _GUIScrollBars_ShowScrollBar($g_idRich1, $SB_VERT, True)
    $g_idRich2 = _GUICtrlRichEdit_Create($hForm, "", 305, 30, 280, 215, BitOR($ES_WANTRETURN, $ES_MULTILINE, $WS_VSCROLL))
        _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetEventMask($g_idRich2, $ENM_DRAGDROPDONE)
        _GUIScrollBars_ShowScrollBar($g_idRich2, $SB_VERT, True)
    GUIRegisterMsg($WM_NOTIFY, "WM_NOTIFY")
    GUISetState()
    While 1
        Sleep(50)
    WEnd
EndFunc

Func WM_NOTIFY($hWnd, $iMsg, $iWparam, $iLparam)
    #forceref $hWnd, $iMsg, $iWparam
    Local $hWndFrom, $iCode, $tNMHDR
    $tNMHDR = DllStructCreate($tagNMHDR, $iLparam)
    $hWndFrom = DllStructGetData($tNMHDR, "hWndFrom")
    $iCode = DllStructGetData($tNMHDR, "Code")
    Switch __WinAPI_GetClassName($hWndFrom) ;replace with handles,
        Case $_GRE_sRTFClassName ;~ if not restoring text selection on multiple richedits
            Switch $iCode
                Case $EN_DRAGDROPDONE
                    If $hWndFrom <> _WinAPI_GetFocus() Then ;re-show selected text only on drag beween edits
                        _GUICtrlRichEdit_HideSelection($hWndFrom, False)
                    EndIf
            EndSwitch
    EndSwitch
    Return $GUI_RUNDEFMSG
EndFunc   ;==>WM_NOTIFY

Func __WinAPI_GetClassName($hWnd)
    Local $aResult = DllCall($g_iDLLUser32, "int", "GetClassNameW", "hwnd", $hWnd, "wstr", "", "int", 4096)
        If @error Then Return ""
    Return $aResult[2]
EndFunc   ;==>__WinAPI_GetClassName

Func Terminate()
    _GUICtrlRichEdit_Destroy($g_idRich1)
    _GUICtrlRichEdit_Destroy($g_idRich2)
    Exit
EndFunc