Arranging XML File from one line into separate line

Hi Experts,

I need your suggestions and idea on this concern, I've been searching in the forum and help file including googling but could not find any related topic for such issue that I have😅.

I need to arrange the XML File from one line into separate line based on their parent element. Now, I don't have any clue on where to start and how to start coding. If you have any suggestions or Idea if this issue can be done by AutoIt, then that would be a great help. Please refer below:

This is the current XML that I have (no code being used it was just given to me to arrange it) and it was presented in one line. There are lots of XML files that were given to me like this and I need to arrange this just like the next sample given below.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<component xml_id="0002107" version="3.0" xml_lang="en" type="serialArticle" xmlns1="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<header>
<Data><Enabled>true</Enabled><dataType>T1</dataType><dataDetails xsi:type="Type1"><field1>name1</field1><field2>email1</field2><field3>choice1</field3><field4>choice2</field4><field5>choice3</field5><field6>choice4</field6><field7>choice5</field7><field8>choice7</field8></dataDetails><optionSetting>true</optionSetting></Data><Data><Enabled>true</Enabled><dataType>T1</dataType><dataDetails xsi:type="Type1"><field1>name2</field1><field2>email2</field2><field3>choice1</field3><field4>choice2</field4><field5>choice3</field5><field6>choice4</field6><field7>choice5</field7><field8>choice7</field8></dataDetails><optionSetting>true</optionSetting></Data><Data><Enabled>true</Enabled><dataType>T2</dataType><dataDetails xsi:type="Type2"><field1>name3</field1><field2>email3</field2><field6>choice6</field6><field8>choice7</field8></dataDetails><optionSetting>true</optionSetting></Data><Data><Enabled>true</Enabled><dataType>T1</dataType><dataDetails xsi:type="Type1"><field1>name4</field1><field2>email4</field2><field3>choice1</field3><field4>choice2</field4><field5>choice3</field5><field6>choice4</field6><field7>choice5</field7><field8>choice7</field8></dataDetails><optionSetting>true</optionSetting></Data></header></component>

And this is what I wanted this to be presented, each parent elements were separated with another line same with their child elements.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<component xml_id="0002107" version="3.0" xml_lang="en" type="serialArticle" xmlns1="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<header>
  <Data>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <dataType>T1</dataType>
    <dataDetails xsi:type="Type1">
      <field1>name1</field1>
      <field2>email1</field2>
      <field3>choice1</field3>
      <field4>choice2</field4>
      <field5>choice3</field5>
      <field6>choice4</field6>
      <field7>choice5</field7>
      <field8>choice7</field8>
    </dataDetails>
    <optionSetting>true</optionSetting>
  </Data>
  <Data>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <dataType>T1</dataType>
      <field1>name2</field1>
      <field2>email2</field2>
      <field3>choice1</field3>
      <field4>choice2</field4>
      <field5>choice3</field5>
      <field6>choice4</field6>
      <field7>choice5</field7>
      <field8>choice7</field8>
    </dataDetails>
  </Data>
  <Data>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <dataType>T2</dataType>
    <dataDetails xsi:type="Type2">
      <field1>name3</field1>
      <field2>email3</field2>
      <field6>choice6</field6>
      <field8>choice7</field8>
    </dataDetails>
  </Data>
  <Data>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <dataType>T1</dataType>
      <field1>name4</field1>
      <field2>email4</field2>
      <field3>choice1</field3>
      <field4>choice2</field4>
      <field5>choice3</field5>
      <field6>choice4</field6>
      <field7>choice5</field7>
      <field8>choice7</field8>
    </dataDetails>
  </Data>
</header>
</component>

Please advise if this is possible with Autoit and suggestions are open.

Thanks in advance Experts!😂😀

KS15

Programming is "To make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies" or "To make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies" by C.A.R. Hoare.

@FrancescoDiMuro, Thanks! 😄 it looks like an online converter, yup tried it and it's a good way for an alternative way as of this moment. But is there any code that I can refer to have that kind of output.

Programming is "To make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies" or "To make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies" by C.A.R. Hoare.

Have a look at XML.au3 by @mLipok, the function XML_Tidy does what you want, however I tried with your xml file but I can't parse the file, I couldn't parse it with XML Notepad either, I tried adding the namespace but it said it's invalid.

Unfortunately I've got to get some shuteye, work in three hours :)  But maybe you or some else can figure out the correct schema, if not I'll look at it again after work.

Thanks, @Subz. I tested it and nothing happened not sure how to test this one.😅

Edited by KickStarter15

Formerly I made this snippet for personal use. No warranty !  It can work... according on its mood at this moment  :idiot:

$s = FileRead("file.xml")
Msgbox(0,"test", _regex($s))
;ConsoleWrite(_regex($s))

Func _regex($xml)
   Local $indent = ""
   While 1
      $xml = StringRegExpReplace($xml, '(?s)((?<!\t)<(\S+)(?:\sxsi:[^>]+)?>.*?</\2>)', @crlf & $indent & '$1' )
      $xml = StringRegExpReplace($xml, '.*>\K(</[^>]+>)', @crlf & $indent & '$1')
      If @extended = 0 Then Exitloop
      $indent &= @tab
  Wend
  $str = StringRegExpReplace($xml, '\R+', @crlf)
  Return $str
EndFunc

@Making the zigzag tied it is perhaps better to begin the encounter with the last line ..

#include <String.au3>
#include <File.au3>
Global Const $INDENT_SPACES = 3
Local $Xml = FileRead("file.xml"), $sFilePath = @ScriptDir & "\xml_test.xml", $hFileOpen = FileOpen($sFilePath, 2), $Ind = 0
Local $a = StringRegExp(StringRegExpReplace($Xml, '><', ">" & @LF & "<"), '<.*', 3)

For $i = UBound($a) - 1 To 0 Step -1
    If Not StringRegExp($a[$i], "^\<.*\<") Then
        If StringRegExp($a[$i], "^\</") Then
            $a[$i] = _StringRepeat(" ", $Ind * $INDENT_SPACES) & $a[$i]
            $Ind += 1
        Else
            $Ind -= 1
        EndIf
    Else
    EndIf
Next

_FileWriteFromArray($hFileOpen, $a)
FileClose($hFileOpen)
Run("notepad.exe " & $sFilePath)

Deye

Edited by Deye
@Borrowing bits from here and there .. vice versa :)

The non-regexp way :

#include <String.au3>

Global Const $INDENT_SPACES = 3
Local $s = StringStripCR(FileRead ("File.xml"))
Local $a = StringSplit(StringReplace ($s, "><", ">" & @LF & "<"), @LF)
Local $Ind = -1
For $i = 1 to $a[0]
  if StringLeft ($a[$i],2) = "</" Then $Ind -= 1
  ConsoleWrite (_StringRepeat(" ",$Ind*$INDENT_SPACES) & $a[$i] & @CRLF)
  if not StringInStr ($a[$i],"</") Then $Ind += 1
Next

Edited by Nine

Updated My above example to use _StringRepeat() (didn't noticed it before)  borrowed back a few bits from @Nine

also to ditch the silly consolewrite playing option :frantics:

@Nine not that it makes much difference but if you look closely, The warping with your example isn't  the same ..
what made my example longer @ picking  And just posted the first thing that worked for me

Deye

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, sorry for very late response, we're on our business trip and I just got back to the office today.

Anyways, I tried all your suggested codes and all are working fine, appreciated guys. Thank you so much!😄

@mikell, @Deye and @Nine, thanks guys...👍