Can't get RegWrite to work

m0b

Hi!  I'm a noobie to Autoit, i have the world's simplest script as follows.

#RequireAdmin

$result = RegWrite("HKLM64\Software\AutoIt_Example", "Key1", "REG_SZ", "This is an example of RegWrite")

msgbox ("","Result",$result)

It always returns a 1 when running. I'm on Windows 10 Pro build 1809.  I'm running the script via Windows explorer by right clicking on it and choosing Run Script (x64).  No matter what I do I can't get it to create and write the registry key.  AutoIT_Example and all subkeys do not currently exist.

I am missing something obvious I think, but no amount of google searching has helped me out here. What am I missing? Thanks in advance!

m0b

• Moderators

@m0b Result 1 for RegWrite means success. This works for me on Windows 10 Pro 1809, it creates the key and value just fine. Are you looking under HKLM\Software (which you should be) or the WOW6432Node?

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Ah, thanks @JLogan3o13.  I was looking in the registry for the wrong spot, and was also a little confused as I'm used to a return of 0 meaning success with other scripting languages versus a 1 here meaning all is well. The above works fine! 

Thanks again.