AutoIt Use Question

Hi, I'm new to programming and I have an existing Windows application which I use to carry out tests, but everytime when I carry out one test, I need to key in fixed values such over and over again into the application and manually record the data produced from the existing application into a table, hence I am searching for a way to automate this task. I stumbled upon AutoIt while researching, may I ask if AutoIt is able to be used for this purpose? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi Aspar, and welcome.  AutoIt can most likely help automate in some way or fashion, depending on the application / process being automated.  It can do very simple tasks (i.e. simulate keyboard inputs and mouse movements and clicks), or sophisticated tasks (i.e. UI control interaction and manipulation).  

Personally, I would recommend as a great starting point to use the AU3Info tool included with AutoIt and inspect the application.  This tool identifies UI controls / classes and will help pave the way for using methods to interact with the application. 

A few things to consider when asking for help on the forum:

1) The more info you can share, the more we can (potentially) help--application names, screenshots and sample script code you are having issues with.  We can't help by guessing what you are working with.  This also leads me to my next point.

2) The members here are not free coders; meaning please don't expect to be provided an entire solution.  Some of us are more or less inclined to write code for you depending on our expertise, availability and desire.  We like to see people show some effort on their own, but we'll help as much as we can if or when you get stuck.

3) The help file is your friend.  

To quote Neo from the Matrix, "Where we go from [here] is a choice I leave to you."  Once again, welcome.

Edited by spudw2k