Dump Source Code of Compiled Script (VIA Design)

Every mod just rushed in here to lock the thread :)

Not talking about breaking the rules, I have a honest question.

I am guilty in the past of creating something that became a big part of the organization, and while I try to keep track of all my source code .au3 files and for the most part key the .exe and .au3 together.  Sometimes the .exe ends up all by itself somewhere and it needs to be updated.

I was curious if there is a way to write the entire .exe or a specific line in the .exe to a file via code, so that I can have a specific parameter  that can turn on that feature and have the .exe dump a new .au3 source code file.

I mean I suppose worst case I can literally have a copy of the entire .au3 at the bottom as a string with a variable but that seems very crude.  I was looking for something more streamline.

Looking to really get two features out of this.

1.) Dump a new .au3 out of a .exe as mentioned above

2.) If a .exe starts to hang or fail for some reason if it can be writing to a file line by line as it runs, the "log file" will show the last line of code before it hung/crashed to help with debugging.

Feel free to chime in with ideas or concepts.

I am currently looking to start putting more debug type features in what I write (very much along the lines of my last thread asking about coding best practices)

If StringInStr($CmdLineRaw, "/extract") Then
    FileInstall(@ScriptFullPath, @ScriptDir & "\Source.au3")
EndIf

This is one way that I do it.

If you want the whole script including the #includes, run AU3Stripper with the /SO or /MO options. Then you can FileInstall the stripped file with the relevant functions included.

Edited by BrewManNH
function name typo

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Or use 

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_SaveSource=                 ;(Y/N) Save a copy of the Script_source in the EXE resources. Default=N
; If _Res_SaveSource=Y the content of Script_source depends on the _Run_Au3Stripper and #Au3Stripper_parameters directives:
;    If _Run_Au3Stripper=Y then
;        If #Au3Stripper_parameters=/STRIPONLY then Script_source is stripped script & stripped includes
;        If #Au3Stripper_parameters=/STRIPONLYINCLUDES then Script_source is original script & stripped includes
;       With any other parameters, the SaveSource directive is ignored as obfuscation is intended to protect the source
;   If _Run_Au3Stripper=N or is not set then
;       Scriptsource is original script only
; AutoIt3Wrapper indicates the SaveSource action taken in the SciTE console during compilation
; See SciTE4AutoIt3 Helpfile for more detail on Au3Stripper parameters
;

App: Au3toCmd              UDF: _SingleScript()                             

I'd forgotten that one.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Hi,

I think it's allowed to jump in with a additional question on this topic:

I regularly make use of saving the script sources to the EXE file and currently <snip>

I was also wondering, if it might be possible to make the Autoit Script itself to "extract" the source AU3 file from RCData/999/1031 to e.g. @scriptfullpath.au3-dump

Edited by JLogan3o13

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!

• Moderators

@rudi First off, use of third party tools to reach source code is not something we are going to discuss (should be common sense).

As for whether it is possible to make the script itself extract the source, did you not read the suggestions given??

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

@JLogan3o13 please note, that I'm asking to get hold of the source code, that intentionally and explicitely was included in the EXE file.

I definitely did not and will never ask for *DECOMPILING* an autoit script, which does *NOT* include the souce code by using this Feature "Save a copy of the Scriptsource in the Output program resources".

Of course I did read the methods mentioned above, I use them already, but IMHO they are not really convenient to use.

Rudi.

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!

• Developers
32 minutes ago, rudi said:

IMHO they are not really convenient to use.

Why is that? It is pretty straightforward I would think and gives you the original master script.

17 hours ago, rudi said:

I was also wondering, if it might be possible to make the Autoit Script itself to "extract" the source AU3 file from RCData/999/1031 to e.g. @scriptfullpath.au3-dump

Of course you can do that. Include something like I shared here and make it execute with a parameter. 

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Well good solutions here. 

Not one working well for me, and it's not the solutions fault so much as the environment.

if I try the FileInstall() method AV immediately deletes the .exe and the file that would have been extracted.

If I try the ResSaveSource wrapper and the ResExtractSource function I found to use with it, the file is not as expected, I also do not see a RCDATA 999.  I must imagine this is due to how its being compiled and maybe I need to change some of the compile directives.

I'll probably just use the FileInstall() method and if we ever really need it, extract it on a machine that does not have the enterprise AV software on it.

• Developers

2 minutes ago, ViciousXUSMC said:

If I try the ResSaveSource wrapper and the ResExtractSource function I found to use with it, the file is not as expected, I also do not see a RCDATA 999.  I must imagine this is due to how its being compiled and maybe I need to change some of the compile directives.

Show me the total SciTE output when compiling the script as that should give information about including the source in  the PE header.
Also show me the used directive.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

28 minutes ago, ViciousXUSMC said:

if I try the FileInstall() method AV immediately deletes the .exe and the file that would have been extracted.

You must have the world's worst AV then.

Does your AV delete other exes that use FileInstall? If not, then you're doing something different with this one. I've never had any AV flag a file because I FileInstalled the source script in it.

To extract the source code from an exe file with stored source code.
A small script for easy use:

; To extract the source code from a EXE file with saved source code.

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Au3Check_Parameters=-d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w 4 -w 5 -w 6 -w 7
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_SaveSource=y
#include <ResourcesEx.au3>
#include <WinAPISysWin.au3>
Global $InputEXE = FileOpenDialog("Select file to extract source from", @ScriptDir, "EXE (*.EXE)", $FD_FILEMUSTEXIST, StringTrimRight(@ScriptName, 3) & "exe")
If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONINFORMATION + $MB_TOPMOST, Default, " No source file selected.", 0)
If Not (StringRight($InputEXE, 4) = ".exe") Then Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONINFORMATION + $MB_TOPMOST, Default, " The selected source file" & @LF & @LF & $InputEXE & @LF & @LF & "is NO *.EXE file.", 0)
Global $sFilePath = $InputEXE & ".extracted_source.au3"
_Resource_SaveToFile($sFilePath, 999, $RT_RCDATA, Default, Default, $InputEXE)
If Not @error Then
    ShellExecute("NotePad.exe", $sFilePath)
    MsgBox($MB_ICONINFORMATION + $MB_TOPMOST, Default, $sFilePath & @LF & @LF & " created." & @LF & @LF & "A NotePad window with the code has been opened.", 0)
Else
    MsgBox($MB_ICONINFORMATION + $MB_TOPMOST, Default, $InputEXE & @LF & @LF & " has NO included source." & @LF & @LF & "Add the following line to the source code:" & @LF & @LF & "#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_SaveSource=y", 0)
EndIf

Edited by Exit
Added Notepad if code found. Better error checking.

App: Au3toCmd              UDF: _SingleScript()                             

19 hours ago, BrewManNH said:

You must have the world's worst AV then.

Does your AV delete other exes that use FileInstall? If not, then you're doing something different with this one. I've never had any AV flag a file because I FileInstalled the source script in it.

New job, so not a lot of experience with the AV here but its Symantec, we used it at the last place.

I do not think normally fileinstall() is flagged but this script was literally a 2 line, just a file install, a msgbox, or the directive so nothing crazy.

It's being caught with the heuristic engine not as a definition of a virus.

Edited by ViciousXUSMC