Can not send a ControlClick to Microsoft Edge.

First time posting on the form but I have used AutoIt since 2007.

I wrote a program for my coworkers and I to auto refresh our Team Support software. This allows us to automatically see new support calls and can be working on other things at the same time. The browser with Team Support is left maximized on a second monitor.

It sends a ControlClick to the refresh button every 30 seconds. It works on Chrome, Firefox, and internet Explore.

I am unable to send a ControlClick to Microsoft Edge and I think it is because there is a hidden character right before the hyphen in the title.

See attached “AutoIt Window Info.txt”, I saved it in Unicode so the hidden character was not lost. Using an online Ascii to Decimal converter I seen there is an extra character 8206 right before the hyphen.

Below are examples I have tried and none of them work. I can not do a MouseClick because that would interrupt performing other tasks at the same time.

opt("MouseCoordMode", 2)

ControlClick("Start " & Chr(8206) & "- Microsoft Edge", "", "ApplicationFrameInputSinkWindow1", "left", 1, 740, 186)

ControlClick("Start ‎- Microsoft Edge", "", "ApplicationFrameInputSinkWindow1", "left", 1, 740, 186)

ControlClick("Start ?- Microsoft Edge", "", "ApplicationFrameInputSinkWindow1", "left", 1, 740, 186)

ControlClick("Start", "", "ApplicationFrameInputSinkWindow1", "left", 1, 740, 186)

opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 2)
ControlClick("Microsoft Edge", "", "ApplicationFrameInputSinkWindow1", "left", 1, 740, 186)

AutoIt Window Info.txt

To clarify, the refresh button I am clicking is not the browser refresh but a refresh icon within the website.

it depends on what it's authored in for one thing. for a second thing, see FAQ 31 regarding UIAutomation

Edge is most likely a WPF app, so forget about classic AutoIt automation there and stick to UIAutomation

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

ControlClick("Start", "", "ApplicationFrameInputSinkWindow1", "left", 1, 740, 186)

This does return a 1 so I guess it is clicking but Edge is not responding to it.

I will look for another way to trigger the element.

7 minutes ago, AdamH said:

This does return a 1 so I guess it is clicking but Edge is not responding to it.

I will look for another way to trigger the element.

you were given the way. read this FAQ as mentioned here before

https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/FAQ#Does_AutoIt_support_database_connections.2C_such_as_SQL.3F

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

Thanks for the help but this looks to be more of a learning curve and more time needed to be invested then I am willing to.

My program needs to be simple to use and work on any computer/configuration.
I want to avoid installing extra pieces like W3C WebDriver for Edge.
I looked at UIAWrappers.au3 and can get it to click but it moves the mouse which I cannot do.
Also, it clicks the wrong refresh and I am not sure how to identify which one to click.
Each user’s dashboard can be setup different and there are multiple grids each with a refresh.

I have a user-friendly program that can be configured with two clicks to pull the coordinates and browser information needed to automate refreshing the correct grid every 30 seconds with ControlClick and only send ControlClick when on the Dashboard. I will stick with what I have for now and not support Edge.