%windir% folder on a networked PC

Is there a way to determine via a script (running on say, "PC1") the windows install folder on a networked machine (for example, "PC2"), without running a script on it which could report the information? I know it will always be c:\windows for the PCs I want to use this with but it would be nice to do it the right way...

Yes, I could do that as I am pretty sure all the PCs will be configured that way, I was just wondering is there was a 'proper' way to determine the current windows folder remotely (I I have seen systems where it isn't c:\windows).

the Windows installation path, as well as other important paths, is stored in the registry. look here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

reading the remote registry is a one-liner in AutoIt with the RegRead() function.

(of course, admin rights on the target are assumed.)

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

Only issue with registry is that you require RemoteRegistry service enabled, which by default for Windows 7 and above is disabled.

Another option is to use WMI

MsgBox(4096, "Remote Windows Dir", _GetRemoteWindowsDir("RemotePCName"))

Func _GetRemoteWindowsDir($_sComputerName = @ComputerName)
    Local $sRemoteWinDir = ""
    Local $oWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:\\" & $_sComputerName & "\root\CIMV2")
    Local $oColItems = $oWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem", "WQL", 0x30)
    If IsObj($oColItems) then
        For $oColItem In $oColItems
            $sRemoteWinDir = $oColItem.WindowsDirectory
        Next
    EndIf
   Return $sRemoteWinDir
EndFunc

to my best understanding, the Remote Registry service is required for modifying the registry on the target pc, whereas reading the registry requires no more than administrative rights (and sometimes even lesser rights, but that's a rare occasion).

i did not extensively test remote WMI operation, however i did encounter this interesting article about remote WMI, including security concerns.

Spoiler

UDF:

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

Apps:

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

23 minutes ago, orbs said:

to my best understanding, the Remote Registry service is required for modifying the registry on the target pc, whereas reading the registry requires no more than administrative rights (and sometimes even lesser rights, but that's a rare occasion).

"The RemoteRegistry Windows Service must be enabled on the remote computer you wish to view or edit the registry on."

Tested on my home network, it needs to be started on the remote computer even if it is just reading...

thanks @Nine, nice to know!

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

Just for reference you can enable RemoteRegistry service via command prompt or script, here are instructions I've written for our helpdesk staff, where some old machines don't have RemoteRegistry already configured.:

To enable RemoteRegistry service remotely you can use SC a command line program for communicating with the Service Control Manager and services:

To Enable and Start the Remote Registry Service on the computer named "RemotePC" you would use the following steps:

•    Open: Administrative Command Prompt
Nb: The logon account requires Administrative privileges on the remote system, so use Run-As Other User if required.
•    Type: SC \\RemotePC CONFIG RemoteRegistry START= AUTO
Important: A space is required between the equal sign and the value i.e. "= AUTO"
•    Type: SC \\RemotePC START RemoteRegistry