Replace goto vba

Hi all,

I have a VBA code, I must translate this VBA code with Autoit. I have many Goto line in my VBA code but there isn't the goto function in autoit. Is there an alternative ?

It's my VBA code

Selection.EntireRow.Insert
    b = Selection.Row

Dim a As String

a = 2

line1:
    If Cells(a, 1) <> "" Then
		'########### Code ########
        a = a + 1
        GoTo line1
    Else
        If a = b Then
			'########### Code ########
            a = a + 1
            GoTo line1
        End If
    End If

Thanks in advance

Qui ose gagneWho Dares Win[left]CyberExploit[/left]

I'd assume something like this

;~ line1:
Global $a = 0
While 1
     If Cells(a, 1) <> "" Then ; assuming this (Cells) is a sub or function?
          ;########### Code ########
;~         a = a + 1
          $a += 1
;~         GoTo line1
     Else
          If $a = $b Then
               ;########### Code ########
;~             a = a + 1
               $a += 1
;~             GoTo line1
          EndIf
     EndIf
WEnd

I'm not sure what you want done  in the flow of the script if Cels(a, 1) <> "" and if $a doesn't equal $b, I'd assume you want it to keep running past the end of this code, so  you'd need an ExitLoop at that point, probably as an Else in the If $a = $b comparison? 

Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Usage of GoTo is a terribly bad programming practice. I remember when I first started programming in Fortran (that tells a lot of my age) ppl were using it everywhere.  So it made software maintenance a nightmare.  Glad that autoit has not implemented that archaic statement. :)

4 minutes ago, Nine said:

Usage of GoTo is a terribly bad programming practice. I remember when I first started programming in Fortran (that tells a lot of my age) ppl were using it everywhere.  So it made software maintenance a nightmare.  Glad that autoit has not implemented that archaic statement. :)

I agree with you !!!! Completely 😃

I must take all the VBA code and translate it with Autoit. I have many times Goto 😡

I have a lot of functions that I do not know how to replace the "Goto"

Qui ose gagneWho Dares Win[left]CyberExploit[/left]

11 minutes ago, jerem488 said:

I have a lot of functions that I do not know how to replace the "Goto"

Then you need to understand the logic of the function, and redesign it without it...

Hi jerem488 :)
Though the following code will not run "as-is", it should show a pattern to solve your issue.
I assume your VBA code is for Excel, so with the help of some VBA forums (and Autoit help file), here is a way to bypass the "Goto line" in your VBA script :

; a = 2
$iStartRow = 2 ; line 1 is probably filled with Excel column titles

; Cells(a, 1)
; "Refers to the cell indicated by its coordinates (row, column)" => _Excel_RangeRead() in AutoIt

; Selection.EntireRow.Insert
; "This command will add an entire row before the selected row" => _Excel_RangeInsert() in AutoIt

; Selection.Row
; "Gives the row number of the current selection" => $oExcel.ActiveCell.Row in AutoIt
$iInsertRow = $oExcel.ActiveCell.Row ; $oExcel to be defined before, also $oWorkbook etc...

; Last row already filled in the worksheet (thanks Jfish)
$iLastRow = $oWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("A1").SpecialCells($xlCellTypeLastCell).Row

For $iRow = $iStartRow To $iLastRow ; loop on each row, from row 2 to the last filled row
    If _Excel_RangeRead(...) <> "" Then ; if content of 1st cell in this row is not empty then...
        Code_Row()
    Else
        If $iRow = $iInsertRow Then
            Code_InsertRow()
        EndIf
    EndIf
Next

Func Code_Row()     
    ; ########### Code for already filled rows (before and after inserted blank one) ########
EndFunc

Func Code_InsertRow()       
    ; ########### Code for inserted blank row ########
EndFunc

As BrewManNH wrote, where should this loop stop ?
I guess the loop shouldn't stop at the inserted blank row ($iInsertedRow in the script) because the user has probably inserted a blank row in the middle of filled rows in an Excel sheet and he wants them all processed (looking at his VBA script)

Hope this helps as I'm a newbie in Excel automation.
Good luck :)

Edit: I just edited this post because I found 1 line of code that retrieves the last filled row of a worksheet, which should be very helpful in this script. Thanks to Jfish for this :

https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/166468-finding-last-row-in-an-excel-column/?do=findComment&comment=1215890

Edited by pixelsearch