Scanning a drive for viruses

After I backup some files to an external drive, I would like Symantec Antivirus to scan it for viruses.

I could probably write

Run("C:\Program Files\Symantec Antivirus\VPC32.exe")
but then I would have to select the drive, and the backup folder.

Is there a way to script what I have just descrived?

So u want it to scan a location but backup the files it scans into a different location that you choose?

or

it scans and if it finds a virus then it backs up the files ? but u get to choose where the files get backed up to?

I just want symantec to scan my backup drive, without going throught the Symantec GUI Interface.

I just want symantec to scan my backup drive, without going throught the Symantec GUI Interface.

If you look at the help file for your anti-virus program and look for command line you will see what switched are required to scan without opening the actual program. This can the be built into your run command. I would show an example but I am using a different av program to the one you are using.

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time ......T.S. Elliot
Suspense is worse than disappointment................Robert Burns
God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother

If you look at the help file for your anti-virus program and look for command line you will see what switched are required to scan without opening the actual program. This can the be built into your run command. I would show an example but I am using a different av program to the one you are using.

Thank you, that's what I'm doing right now but I haven't found anything. I was hoping that someone would know Symatec's command line switches.

Try opening up a cmd window, CD to the Symantec Directory, then type in the virus scan application name with [space] /? at the end virusscan.exe /?

See if it comes back with a list of switches

Edit...

Is this any use... http://symantec.atgnow.com/consumer/result...esultType=5000#

Situation:

You want to know what options or switches can be used with the Norton AntiVirus DOS scanner (Navdx.exe).

Solution:

Navdx.exe is used when you run a scan with the Norton AntiVirus Rescue disks or the Emergency disks. If you want information on how to run this kind of scan, see the document Scanning for viruses using current virus definitions and the Norton AntiVirus CD, Emergency Disks, or Rescue Disks.

Navdx.exe usage and options:

NAVDX [pathname] [options]

pathname Any valid drive, directory, file, or combination of items.

/? Displays the help screen.

/A or /L Scan All drives or Local drives. A: and B: are skipped.

/B[+|-] Enable or disable scanning of boot records.

/BOOT Only scan the boot sectors of specified drives.

/M[+|-] Enable or disable scanning of memory.

/MEM Only scan memory.

/HEUR[0|1|2|3] Set Bloodhound sensitivity (0 disables).

/S[+|-] Enable or disable scanning subfolders.

/REPAIR Repair infected files automatically.

/DELETE Delete infected files automatically.

/PROMPT Prompt for repair or delete on each infected file.

/HALT Halt the system when a virus is found.

/CFG:[directory] Specifies the directory containing Norton AntiVirus configuration files. This needs to be the last switch entered.

/LOG:file Create a log file.

/APPENDLOG:file Append to a log file.

/DOALLFILES Scan all files, not just executables.

/ZIPS Scan files in compressed files.

/NOBEEP Do not generate any sound.

/HELPERROR List all possible DOS error levels NAVDX returns.

WARNINGS:

The /REPAIR and /DELETE switches cannot be used together. You must use one or the other; if used together, only the first switch will be run.

If you use the /REPAIR switch, and Navdx cannot repair an infected file, it will do nothing. It is strongly recommended, therefore, that you first run the scan with the /REPAIR switch. If the summary report generated by Navdx shows that there were files that it was unable to repair, run the scan a second with the /DELETE switch. An alternative to this is to run one scan and use the /PROMPT switch. This will prompt for an action (repair or delete) for each file that is detected as infected. If there are many infected files, however, this could be very time consuming, as it requires a response for each one.

Notes:

When you run Navdx from a floppy disk, it will automatically try to find and use the definitions on the hard drive. If the current definitions are on the floppy disks, you need to use the /cfg: switch to direct it to use the definitions on the floppy disk. For example, if the floppy disk drive is drive A, type:

navdx c: /cfg:a

If you use the /cfg:a with other switches, then it should be at the end of the string of switches, for example:

c: /l /doallfiles /repair /cfg:a

Navdx does not have the option to Quarantine.

Edited by ChrisL

Thank you, that's what I'm doing right now but I haven't found anything. I was hoping that someone would know Symatec's command line switches.

On my system I would use

$Prog = FileGetShortName("c:\program files\norton internet security\norton antivirus\navw32.exe")
run($Prog & " c:\backup\*.* /s")

God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother

yeah i dont even have an AV :P

I hope for your sake you are joking. :lmao:

On my system I would use

$Prog = FileGetShortName("c:\program files\norton internet security\norton antivirus\navw32.exe")
run($Prog & " c:\backup\*.* /s")
I tried it, but VPC32.exe doesn't take any switches

$Prog = FileGetShortName("c:\program files\Symantec Antivirus\VPC32.exe")

run($Prog & " H:\backup\*.* /s")

y r u doing VPC32.exe isnt it navw32.exe that does the scanning when it says

Navdx.exe is used when you run a scan with the Norton AntiVirus

and by the way i wasnt joking i dont have an AV im using vmware so if i screw up this virtual machine i can just create a new one and start over with out any harm to my comp also i use deepfreeze and have one unrestored drive that i store my stuff in and then it just sets everything back to the way it was when i froze so if i do get viruses they disapear after i restart

Edited by thatsgreat2345

I have Symantec 9.0.2 and the file that runs symantec is VPC32.exe

I have not heard of that version for the pc, they go 2000 -2006. Are you running a mac or something else.