Adventure Game

wcook509

Way back in the early 80's (I am a 72 year old youngster), I wrote a few BASIC language text-base adventure games for the Tandy/Radio Shack Color Computer.  Haven't even attempted any kind of coding in 30+ years.  After discovering AutoIT, I thought I would make an attempt to determine if something like those legacy games could be created using AutoIt.  This is what I've come up with and it is far from finished.  I would welcome comments, improvements, ideas.... (remember I am very much a novice).  Thanks...

Adventure.au3

Thanks for sharing. :)

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

I like the bouncing window on invalid commands.

The text display is cut off for me with no way to scroll over to read it

it needs a list of commands (perhaps in a combo box?)

The script eats my [ENTER] key!

Edited by Bilgus

To Bilgus:  Thank you for your input!!  I probably shared this way too soon.  I have re-written much of it, still learning how to implement.  I've replaced the list box with an edit box to fix the wordwrap issue and eliminated the [Enter] key trap.  I am still developing responses for the various user inputs and how to respond to them.  I also believe I have settled on how the adventure is to be solved.  Even at my ripe old age of 72....learning is still fun.  I will implement a response to the user if he/she types "help".  This will contain a list of commands, along with hints depending on where you are in the game.  Still a long way to go on this, but I will share the latest update.  

Adventure-update01.au3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 11:18 AM, wcook509 said:

Way back in the early 80's (I am a 72 year old youngster), I wrote a few BASIC language text-base adventure games for the Tandy/Radio Shack Color Computer.  Haven't even attempted any kind of coding in 30+ years.  After discovering AutoIT, I thought I would make an attempt to determine if something like those legacy games could be created using AutoIt.  This is what I've come up with and it is far from finished.  I would welcome comments, improvements, ideas.... (remember I am very much a novice).  Thanks...

Adventure.au3 9.83 kB · 59 downloads

I have renamed this project to "Stranded.au3" and decided that I am pretty much finished.  The game can now be played to a conclusion.  Either you solve it, die of hunger, thirst, exhaustion, or you give up and quit.  I've learned a great deal from this exercise and have sprinkled in code I found on these forums to help accomplish what I wanted the script to do.  If you ever played and old DOS text adventure games, you might find this interesting....Enjoy!

Stranded.au3

Could you please be so kind and use code tags (the <> button in the editor) when posting code?
Greatly enhances readability ;)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thanks for sharing. When I was about 13 (I'm mid 30's now) I made a turn-based Command And Conquer style game in RM Basic at school. Randomness of enemy attacks, weighted randomness of success or failure (depending on army sizes), option to "peek" at the enemy's forces to get a rough indication of their size... Was the first big project I had. After a 15 year break in coding, AutoIT really brought it all back.

Welcome to AutoIT, and to the forums.

• 2 years later...