Listener tool for software controls

lsgit

Hello,

as a total beginner, I was wondering, if I could achieve my goal with a small AutoIt script.

I am working as a trainer for a special Windows software. In this situation I individually go through the software and explain features, workflows, and so on.
To have a bit of assistance, I really would like to have something like the "presenter mode" in PowerPoint. This is a feature, where the presenter has his notes on one screen, which is not visible for the audience and the presentation on e.g. the beamer.

As I do not want to show prebuild slides, I cannot use PowerPoint.

Now I remembered AutoIt, which I used a couple of years ago for another purpose and played around a bit. Trying out the tool AutoIt v3 Window Info brought me to the idea to check, if AutoIt could help me for my target. So by using this tool I was able to read out the necessary information to press a button in the software using ControlClick().

Now I want to create a small application, which runs in the background and prints out corresponding information in an extra window, as soon as a button in the software is hovered / clicked.

Therefore I would create a database with the control's ClassnameNN and a short description.

Would that be possible?
Also nice would be a possibility to loop through a window's controls and add them to the database.

Can anybody help me to find a good start?

Thanks in advance.

Reagrds

Lars

Maybe this thread gives you an idea?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

faq 31 is a good start with some reference to spying tools when you hover over controls.

As you say you are a beginner expect a huge learning curve.

The simplespy from UIA thread can be a good start just as controlviewer (use search to find the related threads)

some other areas to read https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/functions/WinList.htm

The following thread looks promising too (couldn't test as I'm not at my Windows machine at the moment).
I found a lot more by searching for "control under mouse" and setting search options "Find results in ..." to "Content titles only".

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki