Find Text in Files

TreatJ

Attached to this post is a Windows 10 Zipped File that contains a Text Finding program.

I coded, tested and compiled it on Windows 10 Home / 64-bit OS... I have not tested it

on any other version of Windows (ex... Win7, 8.0, 8.1). Will not work on x86 (32-bit). Just

download...unzip... and place main folder "TxtFinderV475" on any drive you like... Then

just double click on "TxtFinderV475.au3" ... Creating a shortcut to it works very well. I

have done alot of debugging but I am not perfect... If anyone finds any issues with it

please let me know! Thanks

***** Windows 11 Notepad 11.2302.16.0 now has tabs... I updated my program to work

with it.... My latest versions is 5.12....  I also added a "Copy Text" button to the File Viewer window

TxtFinderV475.zip

TxtFinderV512.zip

Edited by TreatJ
Needed to upload newest version of program

Don't post executables, as I believe any sensible user won't download and run an executable with just your word that "it's safe".

Instead post only source code: this forum is about "sample scripts", not "random binaries".

Edited by jchd

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Yeah, only the binaries are a problem.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

The source file was included... I compiled it using SciTE
Version 4.1.2
    Feb 13 2019 23:07:51
by Neil Hodgson.
 Updated by Jos

I will pull the exe out ... zip it again and repost...

Edited by TreatJ
Program remove from here... New one is in first posting

@TreatJ,

Fine.

Another point: maybe you should rather focus on x86 since that can run on any OS.

Good point... One of the reasons I wrote it for 64-bit was because I was having a problem with

Malwarebytes Ver: 3.8.3 detecting my compiled exe as malware! From what I read as well I

understood that 64-bit was more used today then 32-bit (x86)... also... this is just a hobby.. I

wrote this for my wife so that she could quickly  find info that she likes to keep in one of her

many notepad files! Anyway... It would not be hard to do some re-coding in my source script

to enable it to work in 32-bit (x86)...

I forgot to add that originally i did have it written to work in x86.... and because of problem

I stated before... I re-wrote it in x64... but like i said... it would not be hard to recode it back

to working in x86 mode

Edit the first post. Once you have a post count > 10 (I guess) you can do that; this limit is there to limit misconduct from newbies.  Else, ask a moderator to raise the flag for you.

@TreatJ, somehow this code came at the right time. I will test it out as I need something like this in my projects. 

BTW, @jchd is right, just to reiterate, having binaries, in today's day and age is not a good idea, especially if we can compile the script using the same software you use.

You can also use the <> to paste your code into the forum so you don't have to keep on uploading an archive file every time you make changes. 

Kind Regards
Skeletor

"Coffee: my defense against going postal."

Microsoft Office Splash Screen | Basic Notepad Program (Beginner) | Transparent Splash Screen | Full Screen UI

I sort them alphabetically, not according to length.. lol

You could have just wrapped windows Find util that comes with windows instead of relying on sqlite and dlls and whatnots, or you could wrap a unix util grep, now that would be perfection.... see paid product BareGrepPro, it's just a windows version of grep--and grep has always supported regular expression searches--which rule. BareGrep is wicked fast, written in C++ as well.

however, still a cool util you have made! Bravo!

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions