How to load Autoit?

Sirch

My work installed Autoit on my computer and I have the files listed below. I have tried to right click to add a new script as I have done with ahk, but, I do not have option for a new Autoit script, what am I doing wrong?

file name Autoit v3

autoit help file

autoit v3 website

autoit window info (x64)

‘Autoit window info (x86)

autoit help file

browse extras

compile script to exe(x64)

compile script to exe(x86)

examples

run script(x64)

run script (x86)

scite script editor

vbscript examples

I do not know if the software was loaded correctly since I did not install it and just want to know if I am missing something obvious that I need to perform to set it up Autoit correctly, any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. 

Manually you can create a text file with notepad with the extension ".au3". That should be associated with the autoit interpreter and start on doubleclick.

Syntax for manual compiling (creating a .exe from the .au3 file) is described in the helpfile too.

The "Scite Script Editor" should really be installed. With it you can write your scripts, start them with F5 and compile them with CTRL+F7, makes coding in AutoIt easier by some magnitudes.

Edited by KaFu

I assume that an installation user was used to put AutoIt onto your machine.
All settings for SciTE then went into the user directory of this installation user.

Copy the SciTE directory
C:\Users\InstallationUser\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE
to
C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE
and set Windows environment variable SCITE_USERHOME to this directory.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Developers
7 hours ago, Sirch said:

I have tried to right click to add a new script as I have done with ahk, but, I do not have option for a new Autoit script, what am I doing wrong?

Did you run the installer under your own credentials as that will do this for sure?

1 hour ago, Taskms4 said:

Nothing more to add to what @Papak & @KaFu said, except that I advise you to set Scite Editor as your default application for all your .au3 files

You never want to do this as this is done by the SciTE4AutoIt3 installer when ran under the users account!

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

3 hours ago, Jos said:

You never want to do this as this is done by the SciTE4AutoIt3 installer when ran under the users account!

Exactly, IF ran under the users account.

OP said 

do not know if the software was loaded correctly since I did not install it

• Developers

That last statement could imply 2 things :

1. Somebody else installed it under his account. ( Not likely in this case)
  2. Some other userid ran the AutoIt3 installer which would mean that the defauts set by the installer aren't applied. In this case it is wiser to run the installer for a second time under his own userid.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:43 PM, Papak said:

Looking at those files, one can say it loaded correctly. You should open Scite Script Editor if you want to write a new script or edit an existing  script.

If you have an already written script, you can right click on it and choose a Run option or Edit option.

Read the documentation for more information: https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/

If I right click on the SciTE Script Editor my options are 1. Pin to start 2. More ( pin to taskbar, run as administrator, open file location) 3. Uninstall

I have created a file and trying to start at the very basics by walking through the tutorial. I manually saved a file as HelloWorld.au3, right click to edit script and get the message below.

Command Line Parameters:

Aut2Exe.exe /in <infile.au3> [/out <outfile.exe>] [/icon <iconfile.ico> [/comp 0-4] [/ignoredirectives] [/nopack] [/pack] [/ansi] [/unicode] [/x64] [/console] [.gui] [/execlevel] <asinvoker | highestavailable | requireadminstrator | none>] [/compatibility <vista | win7 | win8>] [comments <> ] [/legalcopyright <>] [/legaltrademarks <> ] [/orginalfilename <>] [/productname <>] [/fileversion <fixednum[,num]>] [/productversion <fixednum[,num]>]

and takes me to compile script to EXE Converter

I have no idea why it is trying to convert the file exe command, however very frustrating. I will read the document listed above to see if it has any information that might be helpful, any other suggestions?

• JLogan3o13 changed the title to How to load Autoit?
On 8/30/2019 at 6:27 AM, Jos said:

That last statement could imply 2 things :

1. Somebody else installed it under his account. ( Not likely in this case)
  2. Some other userid ran the AutoIt3 installer which would mean that the defauts set by the installer aren't applied. In this case it is wiser to run the installer for a second time under his own userid.

Jos

I work at a large company, AutoIt, MacroExpress and Shortkeys are pre-approved by IT, if you have you managers approval. Once you obtain your manager approval, IT installs the program on your computer for you due to security concerns. IT provides no support for AutoIt other than uninstall and reinstall.

In the past I have used a combination of VBA from an excel spreadsheet, MacroExpress, ShortKeys and AHK. AHK is not approved, but, is similar to AutoIt, so, I expect that once I get these issues worked out and go through the tutorial I will be fine using the program. It just seems that something is not working correctly or I need to adjust some settings? Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated. 

• Developers

The issue is that when you use the installer, it will only set the defaults for the userid used to install the software. This means that the software is installed in "program files (x86)", but all required registry settings and %localappdata% user files only exists for the that used userid. 

To resolve this you would need to get the "%localappdata%\AutoIt v3" files structure copied from that userid into your user ID's %localappdata%.
The other option could be to run AutoIt3 portable, but then it needs to be copied to a directory you have write rights for.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.