Limited access for some forums

Musashi

It is relatively common for help requests to be posted in an inappropriate forum, for example :
"Developer General Discussion", "AutoIt Technical Discussion" or "AutoIt Example Scripts".

Although the header of these forums contains the unambiguous statement :
"Do not post general support questions here, instead use the "AutoIt Help and Support" forums." , this is often ignored or overlooked, especially by new members.

Perhaps it would make sense to allow access to these forums only for 'Active Members' (20+ posts), similar to CHAT.

That could probably save @Jos 90 percent of the effort to move these contributions.

Just an idea ;).

Musashi-C64.png

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

• Developers

We have discussed solutions already a couple of times but I don't think it would be a good idea to deny access to these forums for other groups.
Especially Examples contains a wealth of information for starters.

It is just on click to get the topic moved and standard post added, so it's not that much work anymore these days. :) 

Jos

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Moderators

Not to mention the very number of topics which the Mods need to move speaks to the fact that people simply don't read. Were we to actually block access to those forums, even with a carefully worded explanation of why, we would simply get a bunch of reports and emails akin to: "Site is broken, can't access xxx forum!"

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Just found this thread and I have a suggestion concerning another kind of blocking, something I wanted to share with you Mods, for a long time.

For years now, each and every day, we notice that newbies (and even members being here for some time) answer to very old posts (i think you call it "necro post") with for example the last post being written a few years ago.

Then a Mod will answer to that with a new post, something like : "Have you noticed that you're answering a post which is 5 years old ? Please do not necro post especially when you don't bring any new element to solve this issue" etc...

Each time (each day) I read this, I always think : "Mods being here for years sure spent days (and weeks) of their lives facing and answering this same situation, in hundred of posts and it's a pity that so much time is spent on this"

My suggestion is : wouldn't it be possible to block any new post being sent (or even written) if the last post is dated (you choose) 6 months, one year ago ? etc...

I mean... there are already a lot of very good functionalities in the web pages of this Forum, so maybe the person(s) who programmed this html Forum could be so kind and take a few hours to add this functionality, freeing all Mods from this daily task which will never (never) end ?

I'm aware that very few times, necro posting can bring a new approach to an issue, when the poster brings some new valuable information. But that happens only a few times, and well... the pop-up message which may appear before the poster starts to write his "necro post" could indicate for example : "This thread is now 3 years old and comments are closed. If you think you have important elements to solve this issue, please create a new thread, thank you." :)

2nd Edit : if you think it's doable, please consider to allow a little group of persons who shouldn't be concerned by this functionality (for example MVP's, Mods, Devs, Jon & Admin.)

Edited by pixelsearch
forgot the smiley

• 1 year later...
On 10/16/2019 at 3:13 PM, pixelsearch said:

My suggestion is : wouldn't it be possible to block any new post being sent (or even written) if the last post is dated (you choose) 6 months, one year ago ? etc...

Just testing to see if this suggestion was actually adopted :)

Code hard, but don’t hard code...

• Moderators

JockoDundee,

No - because there is nothing in the IPS forum software (or at least nothing that we can find) to allow us to do something like this. And the replies we post to common problems are all semi-automated by the same software, so it is not too much of a burden to remind those who do not look at previous post dates (or commit other more serious infractions)!

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• Developers

...and just looking at some of the resent made posts by others would have given you an clear answer too...  ;) 

e.g. somebody decided to reply to a post from 2007:

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

1 hour ago, Jos said:

and just looking at some of the resent made posts by others would have given you an clear answer too...

true enough.  

and tbh,  I can’t deny I was somewhat driven by serendipitously coming across the post (initially) on the eve of its first anniversary. but as it had not fully reached its maturity, I waited until the 17th and even then, waited until today to reply, just to be sure since 2020 was a leap year :)

I love how this thread about necroposting was necroposted!

If there is something relevant to add that will fully round out a lengthy discussion and be of benefit to a reader that is researching a topic to help solve their challenge, better it be found in one thread than snippets all over the place. Do you agree?

Correspondingly, sometimes you are tempted to just have a 'hints and snippets' thread to sweep some of these great posts into without all the fill/gumph in between.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Confuzzled said:

If there is something relevant to add that will fully round out a lengthy discussion and be of benefit to a reader that is researching a topic to help solve their challenge, better it be found in one thread than snippets all over the place. Do you agree?

No, because what one person deems relevant is not always truly adding to the discussion. Also, as the language changes and updates, a topic that was incredibly relevant years ago may very well not be any longer. Adding something to a thread, even if it adds to the conversation, isn't worthwhile if the UDF/code/behavior hasn't been in play since 2006...

7 hours ago, Confuzzled said:

Correspondingly, sometimes you are tempted to just have a 'hints and snippets' thread to sweep some of these great posts into without all the fill/gumph in between.

We have several, if you do a search on the forum.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

3 hours ago, JLogan3o13 said:

Adding something to a thread, even if it adds to the conversation, isn't worthwhile if the UDF/code/behavior hasn't been in play since 2006...

So even in the case of a legitimate question being clear, e.g., 

“Why does x fail?” 

that goes unanswered for years until

”X fails because of Y”

you don’t find it worthwhile?

Why not close the thread altogether then after some_long_period, if you believe there exists no post that could add anything?

Could the new poster start a new discussion with “Saw this old post, here’s the answer?”  I assume you would say no because the information is likely extant somewhere else on the site.  But still, people do end up old posts for a reason.

I don’t know about you, but when I search, I often find unanswered posts from years gone by. Certainly I would have preferred an answer in that moment, if there was one.

Maybe necroposts could be made to not bump the queue?

• Moderators

As to why we don't go through and close every thread that is old, the short answer is because the Moderation staff has lives they would like to lead in addition to their duties here. :)

32 minutes ago, JLogan3o13 said:

As to why we don't go through and close every thread that is old, the short answer is because the Moderation staff has lives they would like to lead in addition to their duties here. :)

Let me just say that, as a newcomer to this site, but as someone who has posted on similar sites 20,000+ times, the mod staff here is possibly the most competent and consistent i have seen anywhere.  Three cheers for the mods!

But the irony is that, anyone of you could write an autoit script in 30 minutes that would run daily and close threads as they reach some ageing.  Surely, the net time effort would be positive.  

Physician, heal thyself...:)

• Developers
55 minutes ago, JockoDundee said:

But the irony is that, anyone of you could write an autoit script in 30 minutes that would run daily and close threads as they reach some ageing.  Surely, the net time effort would be positive.  

Physician, heal thyself...:)

Yeap .... was done one time and we abandon that due some (lets say) issues and only use the standard forum capabilities.
Pretty sure there will be some sort of add-in that would be able to handle it for us but we have never bothered.

... and honestly, I do not see any issue here. ;)   We can now tell you that you are a dumb-ass when you post in some "long bearded" thread ... so let's not take that "pleasure" away for us.

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Moderators

JockoDundee,

Let me just say that, as a newcomer to this site, but as someone who has posted on similar sites 20,000+ times, the mod staff here is possibly the most competent and consistent i have seen anywhere.  Three cheers for the mods!

Many thanks for that vote of confidence - much appreciated.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area