Vitaliy4us

How to get selctors from iframe

I am trying to get access to iframe elements using IE.au3.

Local $oIE = _IECreate($URL)
Local $oDoc = _IEDocGetObj($oIE)
Local $x = $oDoc.getElementsByTagName("iframe").item(0).contentWindow

but I get an error "The requested action with this object has failed." on this step

Local $x1 = x.document

HTML looks like this

<html>
  <head>...</head>
  <body>
    <iframe>
         #document
            <html>
                <head>...<head>
                <body>....</body>
            </html>
    </iframe>
  </body>
</html>

An this is an example I found on https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/HTMLIFrameElement/contentWindow

var x = document.getElementsByTagName("iframe")[0].contentWindow;
//x = window.frames[0];

x.document.getElementsByTagName("body")[0].style.backgroundColor = "blue";
// this would turn the 1st iframe in document blue.

What is the reason and how can I get access to the DOM elements located in iframe

Edited by Vitaliy4us
error

3 hours ago, Danp2 said:

Have you tried with _IEFrameGetObjByName? If that doesn't work, then you will likely need to open the frame in a new tab to gain access to it's contents.

The element name is really huge to be used:

<iframe id="com.thed.zephyr.je__viewissue-teststep__18d264ab" name="{"extension_id":"com.thed.zephyr.je__viewissue-teststep__18d264ab","api":{"_globals":{"request":{"args":["a","e"],"returnsPromise":false}},"messages":{"clear":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false},"onClose":{"args":["a","c"],"returnsPromise":false},"generic":{"constructor":{"args":["c","b","d","e"],"returnsPromise":false}},"error":{"constructor":{"args":["c","b","d","e"],"returnsPromise":false}},"warning":{"constructor":{"args":["c","b","d","e"],"returnsPromise":false}},"success":{"constructor":{"args":["c","b","d","e"],"returnsPromise":false}},"info":{"constructor":{"args":["c","b","d","e"],"returnsPromise":false}},"hint":{"constructor":{"args":["c","b","d","e"],"returnsPromise":false}}},"flag":{"create":{"constructor":{"args":["a","b"],"returnsPromise":false},"close":{"args":[],"returnsPromise":false}}},"dialog":{"create":{"constructor":{"args":["a","c"],"returnsPromise":false}},"close":{"args":["a","c"],"returnsPromise":false},"getCustomData":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false},"getButton":{"constructor":{"args":["a","c"],"returnsPromise":false},"enable":{"args":[],"returnsPromise":false},"disable":{"args":[],"returnsPromise":false},"toggle":{"args":[],"returnsPromise":false},"isEnabled":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false},"trigger":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false},"hide":{"args":[],"returnsPromise":false},"show":{"args":[],"returnsPromise":false},"isHidden":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false}},"createButton":{"constructor":{"args":["a","c"],"returnsPromise":false}}},"inlineDialog":{"hide":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false}},"env":{"getLocation":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false},"resize":{"args":["a","c","b"],"returnsPromise":false},"sizeToParent":{"args":[],"returnsPromise":false},"hideFooter":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false}},"events":{"emit":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false},"emitPublic":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false}},"_analytics":{"trackDeprecatedMethodUsed":{"args":["a","c"],"returnsPromise":false}},"scrollPosition":{"getPosition":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false},"setVerticalPosition":{"args":["a","c"],"returnsPromise":false}},"dropdown":{"create":{"args":["a","c"],"returnsPromise":false},"showAt":{"args":["a","c","b","d"],"returnsPromise":false},"hide":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false},"itemDisable":{"args":["a","c"],"returnsPromise":false},"itemEnable":{"args":["a","c"],"returnsPromise":false}},"cookie":{"save":{"args":["a","d","e"],"returnsPromise":false},"read":{"args":["a","d"],"returnsPromise":false},"erase":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false}},"history":{"_registerWindowListeners":{"args":[],"returnsPromise":false},"back":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false},"forward":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false},"go":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false},"getState":{"args":["a","g"],"returnsPromise":false},"pushState":{"args":["a","g"],"returnsPromise":false},"replaceState":{"args":["a","g"],"returnsPromise":false}},"navigator":{"getLocation":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false},"go":{"args":["a","b","c"],"returnsPromise":false},"reload":{"args":[],"returnsPromise":false}},"user":{"getUser":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false},"getCurrentUser":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false},"getTimeZone":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false},"getLocale":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false}},"context":{"getToken":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":true},"getContext":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":true}},"jira":{"refreshIssuePage":{"args":[],"returnsPromise":false},"updateIssueGlance":{"args":["a","b"],"returnsPromise":false},"getWorkflowConfiguration":{"args":["b"],"returnsPromise":false},"_submitWorkflowConfigurationResponse":{"args":["a","c"],"returnsPromise":false},"isDashboardItemEditable":{"args":["b"],"returnsPromise":false},"openCreateIssueDialog":{"args":["e","b"],"returnsPromise":false},"setDashboardItemTitle":{"args":["b","c"],"returnsPromise":false},"openDatePicker":{"args":["a","c"],"returnsPromise":false},"initJQLEditor":{"args":[],"returnsPromise":false},"showJQLEditor":{"args":["a","d"],"returnsPromise":false}},"dropdownList":{"create":{"constructor":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false},"showAt":{"args":["a","b","l"],"returnsPromise":false},"setItems":{"args":["a","b"],"returnsPromise":false},"hide":{"args":[],"returnsPromise":false},"moveUp":{"args":[],"returnsPromise":false},"moveDown":{"args":[],"returnsPromise":false},"query":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false},"select":{"args":[],"returnsPromise":false},"isVisible":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false},"getSelected":{"args":["a"],"returnsPromise":false},"onHide":{"args":[],"returnsPromise":false},"onSelect":{"args":[],"returnsPromise":false}}}},"origin":"https://herobrands.atlassian.net","options":{"history":{"state":""},"uniqueKey":"com.thed.zephyr.je__viewissue-teststep","origin":"https://prod-play.zephyr4jiracloud.com","hostOrigin":"https://herobrands.atlassian.net","moduleType":"webPanels","moduleLocation":"atl.jira.view.issue.left.context","isFullPage":false,"autoresize":true,"user":{"timeZone":"Europe/Zaporozhye"},"productContext":{"project.key":"BP2","project.id":"10003","issue.id":"11758","issue.key":"BP2-1073","issuetype.id":"10008"},"structuredContext":{"license":{"active":true},"jira":{"issue":{"issuetype":{"id":"10008"},"key":"BP2-1073","id":"11758"},"project":{"key":"BP2","id":"10003"}}},"contextJwt":"eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiI1Y2ZkNzNiOWJmZWE4NDBjNWRkMThhYzgiLCJpc3MiOiJiMjQ1MGU0Yi0xYzFkLTNhNjMtOWExZi1lOGI4ZTdmMzcxZjQiLCJjb250ZXh0Ijp7ImxpY2Vuc2UiOnsiYWN0aXZlIjp0cnVlfSwiamlyYSI6eyJpc3N1ZSI6eyJpc3N1ZXR5cGUiOnsiaWQiOiIxMDAwOCJ9LCJrZXkiOiJCUDItMTA3MyIsImlkIjoiMTE3NTgifSwicHJvamVjdCI6eyJrZXkiOiJCUDIiLCJpZCI6IjEwMDAzIn19fSwiZXhwIjoxNTcxNTg0OTAwLCJpYXQiOjE1NzE1ODQwMDB9.eONgeHeGW2cY7oDPS7pDMJ-qeMbNdQQUW0TvjcZ6Ep0","contextPath":"","width":"70%","targets":{"env":{"resize":"both"}},"contentClassifier":"","globalOptions":{"crev":"1.2.29"}}}" src="https://prod-play.zephyr4jiracloud.com/connect/public/html/teststeps?projectId=10003&issueId=11758&isBdd=false&xdm_e=https%3A%2F%2Fherobrands.atlassian.net&xdm_c=channel-com.thed.zephyr.je__viewissue-teststep&cp=&xdm_deprecated_addon_key_do_not_use=com.thed.zephyr.je&lic=active&cv=1.532.0&jwt=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiI1Y2ZkNzNiOWJmZWE4NDBjNWRkMThhYzgiLCJxc2giOiIxODBhYmJkMGQ2MzlmZThjNzVmOTY2YWE4YjQ5ZWQ5NDY3N2VkMzRiMTMyZWYxOTM1MDhjMjU5Zjc1ZWM0NjIyIiwiaXNzIjoiYjI0NTBlNGItMWMxZC0zYTYzLTlhMWYtZThiOGU3ZjM3MWY0IiwiY29udGV4dCI6e30sImV4cCI6MTU3MTU4NDkwMCwiaWF0IjoxNTcxNTg0MDAwfQ.NhMHDaN0MMzVzkwAOsCdRyl5DuoYY7TehHEdEfPVKcM" width="70%" referrerpolicy="no-referrer" class="ap-iframe" style="width: 100%; height: 790px;"></iframe>

But I tried

Local $x = _IEFrameGetCollection ($oIE).item(0)
$x.document

The same problem in

$x.document

Edited by Vitaliy4us

2 hours ago, Vitaliy4us said:

The element name is really huge to be used

Then use _IEGetObjById or _IEFrameGetCollection, like this --

$oFrame = _IEFrameGetCollection($oIE, 0) ; change 0 to correct index #

Once you have a valid reference to the frame, use $oFrame with the standard _IE* commands the same way you would $oIE.

11 minutes ago, Danp2 said:

Then use _IEGetObjById or _IEFrameGetCollection, like this --

$oFrame = _IEFrameGetCollection($oIE, 0) ; change 0 to correct index #

Once you have a valid reference to the frame, use $oFrame with the standard _IE* commands the same way you would $oIE.

Yes I tried them all. There is not a problem to get iframe element itself. The probblem is to get its document property for dealing with its DOM. As you can see I got the iframe element itself by different ways but for any of them I had the same issue while trying to use $oElement.document command

Run this code (directly from the help file) and show us the output --

Local $oFrames = _IEFrameGetCollection($oIE)
Local $iNumFrames = @extended
Local $sTxt = $iNumFrames & " frames found" & @CRLF & @CRLF
Local $oFrame = 0
For $i = 0 To ($iNumFrames - 1)
    $oFrame = _IEFrameGetCollection($oIE, $i)
    $sTxt &= _IEPropertyGet($oFrame, "innertext") & @CRLF
Next
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Frames Info", $sTxt)

Also, can you provide the main URL you're trying to access?

8 hours ago, Danp2 said:

Run this code (directly from the help file) and show us the output --

Local $oFrames = _IEFrameGetCollection($oIE)
Local $iNumFrames = @extended
Local $sTxt = $iNumFrames & " frames found" & @CRLF & @CRLF
Local $oFrame = 0
For $i = 0 To ($iNumFrames - 1)
    $oFrame = _IEFrameGetCollection($oIE, $i)
    $sTxt &= _IEPropertyGet($oFrame, "innertext") & @CRLF
Next
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Frames Info", $sTxt)

Also, can you provide the main URL you're trying to access?

Hello, Danp2. Thank you very much for a lot of your help. I have tried your code. But this time I got an error inside the ie.au3

"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\Include\IE.au3" (2294) : ==> The requested action with this object has failed.:
$oTemp = $oObject.document.body
$oTemp = $oObject^ ERROR

Unfortunatelly I am not able to provide you with the base URL because it is a company's project. But this is a general Jira ticket or to be more correct Zephyr Test Case. So my goal is to retreave test steps from the test case. I am able to deal with the DOM of the page by creating the correspondent object:

Local $oDoc = _IEDocGetObj($oIE)

But the DOM does not include any element located inside iframes. But the problems is that all the elements I need (which actually are test steps) are inside the iframe.

Edited by Vitaliy4us

55 minutes ago, Danp2 said:

Sorry.... but I'm out of ideas beyond my earlier suggestion to open the iframe in a new tab and then access the elements from there.

I tried to do this after you suggested  it for the first time (as I can see the URL is the src value from the snippet  above?). Unfortunately the  rendered page does not contain the steps of the test case  I am trying to retrieve...  But anyway thanks a lot.