Scite help F1 no response

Scite 3.4.4

Win 10

I click "Help" or press F1, there is no response

If I use the file explorer and double click Autoit.chm or Autoit3.chm help opens.

There is no dialog to check or uncheck "Always ask before opening this file" when clicking on these files.

If you are curious as to why I dont have the latest version, I am creating a back up laptop that has a VERY extensive automation application that I have written over the past 15 years.

An extremely potent, powerful, needed function has been deleted in the upgrade of Autoit in recent years that I can not do without. If my main laptop dies, which it almost did, I am in a very bad position. So I bought the exact same laptop and I am "cofiguring" it to work exactly the same as my main laptop. However, this one has been "Upgraded" to Win 10 which I hope is not the problem. 

Thanks for any help

I've seen two reasons for this happening, but there may be more

1. Check that the install directory isn't on a network drive (mine is, and I get a blank screen in the chm file)
  2. Check that you're in a *.au3 file already... it sounds stupid, but I've done it :)

Also, the upgrade to Windows 10 shouldn't be an issue. My work laptop and my personal laptop have both been upgraded from Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows 8 Home respectively.

All my code provided is Public Domain... but it may not work. ;) Use it, change it, break it, whatever you want.

Spoiler

My Humble Contributions:
Personal Function Documentation - A personal HelpFile for your functions
Acro.au3 UDF - Automating Acrobat Pro
ToDo Finder - Find #ToDo: lines in your scripts
UI-SimpleWrappers UDF - Use UI Automation more Simply-er
KeePass UDF - Automate KeePass, a password manager
InputBoxes - Simple Input boxes for various variable types

not sure about the "Help" issue, but ive had cases where an AutoIt update broke scripts.

my personal solution to this while still being able to use the new features that came with the update was to copy the functions inside the deprecated UDF and paste it directly into my script.

If @error Then
    MsgBox(262192, "", @ComputerName & " slaps " & @UserName & " around a bit with a large trout!")
EndIf

"Yeah yeah yeah patience, how long will that take?"  -Ed Gruberman

REAL search results  |  SciTE4AutoIt3 Editor Full Version

• Developers
8 hours ago, AutoitMike said:

An extremely potent, powerful, needed function has been deleted in the upgrade of Autoit in recent years that I can not do without.

Care to share your unsurmountable issue?

As to your F1/Helpfile issue: Check what @seadoggie01 mentioned or else show the SciTE console output when you de Run or Compile so we can see what you are running.
Also provide the SciTE and AutoIt3 version information.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

The function I use , that is very powerful is that I can attached a AutoIt script to a word document and EXECUTE a Word VBA function AND pass parameters!

My application is Both Autoit scripts and Word VBA, each doing what it does best and talking directly to each other.

THE programmer doing it right.

Edited by AutoitMike

How does that answer any of the questions or requests for information?

my guess:  you are opening a new scite page, copying code over, and not hitting save before you try to F1.

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

Seriously, if you aren't upgrading because an old version of Word.au3 had _WordMacroRun, then just make it yourself and upgrade. Here's a quick version:

Func _WordMacroVBA($oApplication, $sMacroName, $vVar1=Default, $vVar2=Default, $vVar3=Default, $vVar4=Default, $vVar5=Default, _
      $vVar6=Default, $vVar7=Default, $vVar8=Default, $vVar9=Default, $vVar10=Default, _
      $vVar11=Default, $vVar12=Default, $vVar13=Default, $vVar14=Default, $vVar15=Default, _
      $vVar16=Default, $vVar17=Default, $vVar18=Default, $vVar19=Default, $vVar20=Default, _
      $vVar21=Default, $vVar22=Default, $vVar23=Default, $vVar24=Default, $vVar25=Default, _
      $vVar26=Default, $vVar27=Default, $vVar28=Default, $vVar29=Default, $vVar30=Default)
    Return $oApplication.Run($sMacroName, $vVar1, $vVar2, $vVar3, $vVar4, $vVar5, _
      $vVar6, $vVar7, $vVar8, $vVar9, $vVar10, $vVar11, $vVar12, $vVar13, $vVar14, $vVar15, _
      $vVar16, $vVar17, $vVar18, $vVar19, $vVar20, $vVar21, $vVar22, $vVar23, $vVar24, $vVar25, _
      $vVar26, $vVar27, $vVar28, $vVar29, $vVar30)
EndFunc

It does almost nothing. There probably was error checking for the Application object and COM errors, but that's easy enough for you to do... or just copy the old function and paste it into your script.

All my code provided is Public Domain... but it may not work. ;) Use it, change it, break it, whatever you want.

Spoiler

My Humble Contributions:
Personal Function Documentation - A personal HelpFile for your functions
Acro.au3 UDF - Automating Acrobat Pro
ToDo Finder - Find #ToDo: lines in your scripts
UI-SimpleWrappers UDF - Use UI Automation more Simply-er
KeePass UDF - Automate KeePass, a password manager
InputBoxes - Simple Input boxes for various variable types

10 hours ago, iamtheky said:

... not hitting save before you try to F1.

that may seem unrelated, but it is correct. for F1 to work, the script must be saved to file. this is true for every version of AutoIt and SciTE that i have encountered.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

• Developers
1 hour ago, orbs said:

that may seem unrelated, but it is correct. for F1 to work, the script must be saved to file. this is true for every version of AutoIt and SciTE that i have encountered.

Which makes sense as all the configuration settings are done for a particular file extension, in this case *.au3. How else would SciTe know which config to use as it is build for multiple languages. Only the lexer default is set to au3lexer, which is why that right away works on a none saved file.

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

OK,

I think that you are saying to use a different AutoItHelp.exe

I do not have a beta folder under \Autoit3 to take.

My Autoit3Help.exe is dated 12/21/2011 and is reported by windows as 38K

If I double click it, it opens, however, Scite will not open it.

What do I do now?

On the Word functions, I would really like to use the code I have been using for the past 14 years, I dont want to have to re invent the wheel.

This is my 3 laptop layouts:

Original laptop:

Win 7 / Scite 3.2.0 / Autoit 3.3.8.1.  F1 works. /  _WordAttach and _WordMacroRun exist  /. Autoit3Help.exe is dated 12/21/2011 and is reported by windows as 38K

Back up #1 Laptop:

Win 7 / Scite 3.4.4  /  Autoit 3.3.8.1.  F1  works. /  _WordAttach and _WordMacroRun exist / Autoit3Help.exe is dated 12/21/2011 and is reported by windows as 38K

The Laptop I want to use as backup:

Win 10 / Scite 3.4.4  / AutoIt 3.3.8.1.   /.  F1 does not work  /  _WordAttach and _WordMacroRun exist  / Autoit3Help.exe is dated 12/21/2011 and is reported by windows as 38K

• Developers

You could have followed the instructions and install the latest Beta version of download the latest autoit3.zip file and extract the latest au3help.exe from there, but I have now also made the latest autoit3help.exe available here....just give that a try and see if that solves your issue. 

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• 6 months later...

Good morning,

if I install AutoIt and SciTE, open a script and press F1 the help won't open.

If i press F1 repeatedly I see in the TaskManager that AutoIt3Help.exe is starting with the commandline "script." but nothing happens.

Directly open the chm-file is working.

I am not really sure what the issue is - can somebody help me to figure this out?

• Developers

Did you use the separate installer to install SciTE4AutoIt3?
What is the exact commandline you see?
Are you using the latest version as indicated in the above post?

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

,,,,and did you try updating autoit3help.exe by following these instructions?: 

On 11/13/2019 at 9:22 AM, Jos said:

You could have followed the instructions and install the latest Beta version of download the latest autoit3.zip file and extract the latest au3help.exe from there, but I have now also made the latest autoit3help.exe available here....just give that a try and see if that solves your issue. 

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

The au3help.exe file is part of the AutoIt3 installer, not the SciTE4AutoIt3 installer. ;)

...just checked and they are indeed the same now.

Could you try the current one I placed in the link, which is the latest version provide with the Beta?

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

7 minutes ago, Jos said:

The au3help.exe file is part of the AutoIt3 installer, not the SciTE4AutoIt3 installer. ;)

...just checked and they are indeed the same now.

Could you try the current one I placed in the link, which is the latest version provide with the Beta?

Thanks for checking this. I just downloaded the file, it still shows version 1.0.0.8, but the MD5 is now different than before (D758276F536E24687A3591DC1A2EFFAB).

However the issue is still there.